• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Santos Tour Down Under Stage 2 Mt. Barker to Rostrevor 116.5km

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
theyoungest said:
Yeah, Hesjedal, Velits, Vanendert... he'll easily follow those guys up a mountain.

I think we both know how cheap that argument is. There are many different ways to skin a cat, and plenty of good riders will finish 30 minutes back due to a few bad days, or more often, reaching the point at which they cease to try and conserve energy for breaks another day.

If you are fully commited to GC there are plenty of people who could get 18-20, but of course most of them have something better to be doing.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
I think we both know how cheap that argument is. There are many different ways to skin a cat, and plenty of good riders will finish 30 minutes back due to a few bad days, or more often, reaching the point at which they cease to try and conserve energy for breaks another day.

If you are fully commited to GC there are plenty of people who could get 18-20, but of course most of them have something better to be doing.
It's not a cheap argument. Top 20 in a GT is easier said than done. Yes, I know he's a Sky rider and probably he'll finish on the podium of a GT within a year, but usually it's hard.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
theyoungest said:
It's not a cheap argument. Top 20 in a GT is easier said than done. Yes, I know he's a Sky rider and probably he'll finish on the podium of a GT within a year, but usually it's hard.

He looked worse uphill(despite his win) than Wiggins has ever done, so I'd say he's no GT contender.

imagefromurl

he's like el nino sevilla's twin!and now climbs like him :) go g!
willunga should be a big show,i hope kash and gaspa(who crashed but seems to be fine) will be there too.

jens_attacks said:
told you to put all your money on g;) . seen the pics before the tdu, he looks fit as hell,skinny as ever. i'm happy for him and can't wait to download this from cyclingtorrents.

and yes it seems kash will deliver the goods this year

1 Geraint THOMAS GBR SKY 27 2:44:18
2 Javier MORENO BAZAN ESP MOV 29 +1
3 Ben HERMANS BEL RLT 27 +1
4 Tom Jelte SLAGTER NED BLA 24 +4
5 Tim WELLENS BEL LTB 22 +4
6 Daniele PIETROPOLLI ITA LAM 33 +4
7 Jack BAUER NZL GRS 28 +4
8 Wilco KELDERMAN NED BLA 22 +4
9 Jon IZAGUIRRE INSAUSTI ESP EUS 24 +4
10 George BENNETT NZL RLT 23 +4
11 Adam HANSEN AUS LTB 32 +4
12 Kenny ELISSONDE FRA FDJ 22 +4
13 Tiago MACHADO POR RLT 28 +4
14 Jussi VEIKKANEN FIN FDJ 32 +4
15 Gorka IZAGUIRRE INSAUSTI ESP EUS 26 +4
16 Jose Joaquin ROJAS GIL ESP MOV 28 +21
17 Serge PAUWELS BEL OPQ 30 +21
18 Mikael CHEREL FRA ALM 27 +21
19 Andrey KASHECHKIN KAZ AST 33 +21
20 Rafael VALLS FERRI ESP VCD 26 +21

Ican smell a tour podium already!!

Hugo Koblet said:
jens, it was because of you I put my money on G. Looks promising so far! :)

for my own good then i hope nothing bad happens on willunga:D
moreno is quite dangerous and to my shame i didn't see the stage yet to have an opinion of who was the strongest uphill
but definitely g won't let that jersey slip away without a fight

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Ruudz0r said:
Ye he is just a 3 time world champion and 2 time olympic champion. He certainly wasnt a winner before.

not forgetting Paris Roubaix juniors, National Road champs, Bayern Rundfahrt, Romandie Prologue.

Yeah, a complete loser :rolleyes:;)

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
GT boll0x - he still looks like he could beat a girl at arm wrestling so lets forget about a high GC placing and focus on what Sky really need to achieve this year or next ie

Get that man on some cobbles :D

Winterfold said:
GT boll0x - he still looks like he could beat a girl at arm wrestling so lets forget about a high GC placing and focus on what Sky really need to achieve this year or next ie

Get that man on some cobbles :D

i thought that too but now i doubt it
i really think hayman,eisel,stannard end eddie boss will be for the cobbles race and thomas not.
he lost weight and i think he might target races like paris-nice this year.we'll see

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
i thought that too but now i doubt it
i really think hayman,eisel,stannard end eddie boss will be for the cobbles race and thomas not.
he lost weight and i think he might target races like paris-nice this year.we'll see

he looks like he's lost fat but kept some upper body muscle, looking at the stage highlights, puncheur with good sprint - he should be going for some classics. I think he will be at the end in RVV.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
classicomano said:
Hmm I dont know wich is worse, this or the actual Blanco jersey. :eek:

14429546b6ca50e6509ac7b8834e21d7_large.jpg

ha ha that's ridiculous. If somebody turned up to a club ride wearing that, they would have the pi$$ ripped from them :)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Ruudz0r said:
Ye he is just a 3 time world champion and 2 time olympic champion. He certainly wasnt a winner before.

Andy99 said:
not forgetting Paris Roubaix juniors, National Road champs, Bayern Rundfahrt, Romandie Prologue.

Yeah, a complete loser :rolleyes:;)

He won the Team Pursuit, lucky enough to be born in the best country. How many people count team time trials as real victories on this forum?

By the way, this is the road racing forum. As far as I'm concerned he only won a very short Romandie prologue, British road race title(lol) and the overall in one of the worst stage races there is.

So yeah, he definitely was not a winner type. Since when are we counting junior races? :eek:

TRENDING THREADS