• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Santos Tour Down Under Start List

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
This is the current "preliminary" list up on the TDU website:

http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/teams/start-list

I'm rooting for an all Australian homeboy podium.

Team "Leaders":

ASTANA (KAZ)
1. DAVIS Allan AUS

TEAM RADIOSHACK (USA)
11. ARMSTRONG Lance USA

BMC RACING TEAM (USA)
21. EVANS Cadel AUS

OMEGA PHARMA LOTTO (BEL)
31. DELAGE Mickal FRA

TEAM HTC - COLUMBIA (USA)
41. GREIPEL Andre GER

TEAM SKY (GBR)
51. SUTTON Christopher AUS

Ag2r La Mondiale (FRA)
61. ELMIGER Martin SUI

TEAM KATUSHA (RUS)
71. McEWEN Robbie AUS

TEAM SAXO BANK (DEN)
81. OGRADY Stuart AUS

MILRAM (GER)
91. FORSTER Robert GER

FRANCAISE DES JEUX (FRA)
101. CHEREL Mikael FRA

CAISSE D'EPARGNE (ESP)
111. VALVERDE Alejandro ESP

RABOBANK (NED)
131. BROWN Graeme AUS

UNISA - AUSTRALIA (AUS)
181. MATTHEWS Michael ACT

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Nice to see Evans finally racing his home tour. Probably just a training race for Cadel, but he should have been there in the past.

Can't wait to watch it though.

Where's Garmin at?

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
richwagmn said:
Nice to see Evans finally racing his home tour. Probably just a training race for Cadel, but he should have been there in the past.

Can't wait to watch it though.

Where's Garmin at?

The website says "More teams will be announced soon"

Snake Bite

BANNED
Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
Do you think Evans and Armstrong will be trying to beat each other? Armstrong won't want to be beaten by a tour rival will he? Hopefully something will happen to make it more interesting.

Snake Bite said:
Do you think Evans and Armstrong will be trying to beat each other? Armstrong won't want to be beaten by a tour rival will he? Hopefully something will happen to make it more interesting.

No, I think it will be Davis, Robbie, Sutton, Brown, O'Grady, Greipel etc trying to beat each other.

I'm not sure where Lance has ever said he's racing the TdU for anything other than the appearance fee/global cancer awareness. Cadel has also clearly stated that it's about parading his stripes, although there are few races Cadel enters and doesn't go 100%.

Snake Bite said:

I doubt that, both Cadel and the Boss will be far too focused on the later season. BMC will want to be in tip top shape for the March-April classics period where their team could be a major player. Cadel's gonna be building up form and will how off his WC jersey for the hometown fans. Both will take it easy and a spinter will win as usual.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
"hey jersey boy"

Snake Bite said:

I think they WILL try to beat each other - they are both fierce competitors after all. It could be a "race within the race" for the two, since neither has plans for the TDU GC it seems.

World Champ 1993 vs World Champ 2009....

They will both sign plenty of autographs...

I agree with publicus - shouldn't BMC have jersey number 11?

Snake Bite

BANNED
Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
Polish said:
I think they WILL try to beat each other - they are both fierce competitors after all. It could be a "race within the race" for the two, since neither has plans for the TDU GC it seems.

Yeah that's what I meant. I knew they're not going for the overall, but it would be nice to see a needle match further down.

I wonder who will be the overall candidates on RadioShack and BMC.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:

World Champ 1993 vs World Champ 2009....

They will both sign plenty of autographs...

I agree with publicus - shouldn't BMC have jersey number 11?
it's lance and he is being paid megabucks to come down here. Our WC on the other hand isn't getting anything.
Moondance said:
I doubt that, both Cadel and the Boss will be far too focused on the later season. BMC will want to be in tip top shape for the March-April classics period where their team could be a major player. Cadel's gonna be building up form and will how off his WC jersey for the hometown fans. Both will take it easy and a spinter will win as usual.

Evans has said that he will be in no shape to be doing much in down under and even lance says he will attack if he gets the chance well really that's ********. BMC will be riding for either Kohler in the sprints or Santambrogio to get away on Wilunga Hill.

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
lucybears said:
BOBRIDGE Jack Australia
DEAN Julian New Zealand
HUNTER Robert South Africa
MEYER Cameron Australia

+ 3 more

Pretty good looking team there already. Hopefully Jack Bobridge is as animated this year as he was last year, but times his attacks a little better and gets a reward for his efforts.

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
craig1985 said:
That "Wheels in motion" song they play in the intro is so cringeworthy.

It's got to be one of the worst songs ever. We sat through a prize presentation once and I think they played it before every jersey was awarded. Ended up being one of the most traumatic experiences I've ever had in a park.

Mike Turtur and co., if you're reading this, please, please do us a favour and ditch the horrendous piece of music!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
badboyberty said:
It's got to be one of the worst songs ever. We sat through a prize presentation once and I think they played it before every jersey was awarded. Ended up being one of the most traumatic experiences I've ever had in a park.

Mike Turtur and co., if you're reading this, please, please do us a favour and ditch the horrendous piece of music!

+1
The song is a bit tryhard and a bit stupid.

badboyberty, do you think the stage into stirling could be an Alejandro valverde finish...?

hfer07 said:
Indeed!!! what a magnificent way to begin the cycling calender:) I asked this question before, but considering the world's attention this race is getting & the quality of the participants- it is any possibility the TDU could ever grow in stages/make it longer?
Well if they added one day per year it would be a GT in 15 years or so!

They’d have to move it to Melbourne if it go too big though ;)

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
+1

badboyberty, do you think the stage into stirling could be an Alejandro valverde finish...?

I lived just next to the finish line of that stage and still ride it every week or so. I think it is more of a pure sprinters finish than for someone like Piti, but it will depend on how fit some of the riders are and how hard they race the circuit laps.

The hill is not that steep and not very long, it is also very straight and wide.

put 74 MtBarker Road Stirling into Googlemaps and you can see the finish hill.

TRENDING THREADS