• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sastre blasts Armstrong ! "He has no respect and no point"!!

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Well, it begins tomorrow. They shall all put their muscle, stamina, and mental toughness where it belongs. On the course. I hope its dope free, full of hard riding and great daily victory celebrations.
cooltech:cool:

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
cooltech said:
Well, it begins tomorrow. They shall all put their muscle, stamina, and mental toughness where it belongs. On the course. I hope its dope free, full of hard riding and great daily victory celebrations.
cooltech:cool:

I think we will all see what everyone has to offer on the long prologue stage

Let the fun begin.

rhubroma said:
Look, I'm American, so I can say what I want about the society without being "anti-American." Lest I'd be anti-myself. It's like black man being called racist for calling anther black "yooo n!ggga", etc.

I have serious odds, though, with a sertain class of my countrymen and you, frankly, fit the profile.

The issue at stake isn't whether or not the Tour was a "joke," but that it was said by a man who had won it seven times from the sidelines in his recent retirement as an arrogant and belittling remark about his former collegues, because he didn't feel they were up to scratch. It was not about the course, dimwit, but them. Period. For which Armstrong is a huge pr!ck and an a$$hole. Period. Anybody that defends him on this, and not the meek and gratious Sastre, is just an idiot. Period.
I would agree with you if I interpreted his words in the same way that you do. But that interpretation makes no sense, and it is not consistent with anything else Armstrong has said, including saying that Sastre is the one to watch this year.

Ninety5rpm said:
I would agree with you if I interpreted his words in the same way that you do. But that interpretation makes no sense, and it is not consistent with anything else Armstrong has said, including saying that Sastre is the one to watch this year.

Makes no sense? Look it's precisely the "interpretation" Sastre had. I've followed this in the Italian paper's since the Giro. Sastre was insulted by Armstrong's disrespectful comment. And this is the point it was disrespectful to Sastre. He didn't whine about anything, and at first said he didn't care one iota what Lance thought of him but only in how he believed in himself. In addition, Sastre said he though respected everyone from the strongest to the weakest.

This is the difference between a true man and and arrogant SOB. I detest Lance's arrogance, which to me represents everyhting detestable about a certain corporate and imperialist America, which thinks it can simply mold the world in its own image and to its own likeing, as the last 8 years of the Bush administration had made everybody outside America painfully aware, which respected no one else who wasn't part of the "coalition of the willing." Whereas according to them the world is divided up into two distinct and irreconciliable oppsotions: those who are with us and those who are against us.

But we, the other America, know that the world is a multi-dimensional complexity and formed by many shades of gray, which on the one hand command the respect of most and dialoging with all who are willing and not the black and white bipolarity portrayed by them.

I have allways gotten the sense that Armstrong was same type of disagreeable imperialist, a corporate CEO, who demanded unwavering loyalty from those on his team and would go "to war" against anybody who even challenged his viewpoints, as if he too lived by this perverse neocon philosophy of "you're either with us or against us."

That he was a Bush friend and supporter has only reinforced my conviction. This to mention nothing about his relationship with Dr. Ferrari, his treatment of Simeoni, protecting the omertà, etc. In the cylcing world he's like a Cheney, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz trio all wrapped up in one. He simply stinks. Like a bad turd.

rhubroma said:
Makes no sense? Look it's precisely the "interpretation" Sastre had. I've followed this in the Italian paper's since the Giro. Sastre was insulted by Armstrong's disrespectful comment. And this is the point it was disrespectful to Sastre. He didn't whine about anything, and at first said he didn't care one iota what Lance thought of him but only in how he believed in himself. In addition, Sastre said he though respected everyone from the strongest to the weakest.

This is the difference between a true man and and arrogant SOB. I detest Lance's arrogance, which to me represents everyhting detestable about a certain corporate and imperialist America, which thinks it can simply mold the world in its own image and to its own likeing, as the last 8 years of the Bush administration had made everybody outside America painfully aware, which respected no one else who wasn't part of the "coalition of the willing." Whereas according to them the world is divided up into two distinct and irreconciliable oppsotions: those who are with us and those who are against us.

But we, the other America, know that the world is a multi-dimensional complexity and formed by many shades of gray, which on the one hand command the respect of most and dialoging with all who are willing and not the black and white bipolarity portrayed by them.

I have allways gotten the sense that Armstrong was same type of disagreeable imperialist, a corporate CEO, who demanded unwavering loyalty from those on his team and would go "to war" against anybody who even challenged his viewpoints, as if he too lived by this perverse neocon philosophy of "you're either with us or against us."

That he was a Bush friend and supporter has only reinforced my conviction. This to mention nothing about his relationship with Dr. Ferrari, his treatment of Simeoni, protecting the omertà, etc. In the cylcing world he's like a Cheney, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz trio all wrapped up in one. He simply stinks. Like a bad turd.
Hey I agree with much of what you say about American imperialism, Bush, etc. I could go on and on about that stuff too, but that would be way off topic.

I just don't understand why Sastre was so insulted when practically everyone said basically the same thing about the first Tour that Armstrong won in 1999. He didn't hand wring about being insulted. He just came back and won again. And again. And again. And again. And again.

And again.

It's a double standard.

Ninety5rpm said:
Hey I agree with much of what you say about American imperialism, Bush, etc. I could go on and on about that stuff too, but that would be way off topic.

I just don't understand why Sastre was so insulted when practically everyone said basically the same thing about the first Tour that Armstrong won in 1999. He didn't hand wring about being insulted. He just came back and won again. And again. And again. And again. And again.

And again.

It's a double standard.

Ummm, cause Armstrong's remark was insulting...

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
It's almost showtime, but the coming attractions are equally entertaining.

Sastre is entitled to say what he wants, as is Armstrong.

A rider is only as good as his last win. Best back up those words with action, or one of them won't be riding next season.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Sounds like 'professional cycling' is taking a page from 'professional wrestling'.

A lot of riders have made insulting remarks. Ricco was an arrogant little doping ***. I almost wet my pants laughing when he was nailed. Couldn't have happened to a nicer person...

TrapperJohn said:
Sounds like 'professional cycling' is taking a page from 'professional wrestling'.

A lot of riders have made insulting remarks. Ricco was an arrogant little doping ***. I almost wet my pants laughing when he was nailed. Couldn't have happened to a nicer person...

Just wait for the podium ceremony where a competitor leaps out of the crowd and smashes the top guy with a folding chair as Bob Roll shouts, "Hulkamania is running wild!"