• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sastre to Retire

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
roadbiker said:
That's the point! He never was (or better) was willing to be a domestique (even in single races) at his previous teams (especially late CSC and CTT).
And as far as I know his attitude hasn't changed in this matter!

Simply not true. Go back and watch the Olympic road race, you'll see two GT champions: Sastre and Contador riding for Spain.

Sastre does a massive turn - very long.

Contador on the other hand - moves to the front for 5 seconds before waving to the camera and ****ing off.

Sastre was quite happy to play the role of domestique.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Arnout said:
Good decision. He was just becoming laughing stock in the past 2,5 years, after the 2009 Giro for one reason or another he wasn't top level anymore.

I don't think he was a laughing stock by any stretch...but he was past his prime. I will miss him!

i will miss carlito too :( but that's the way it is..

00_2003_a.jpg

Arnout said:
Good decision. He was just becoming laughing stock in the past 2,5 years, after the 2009 Giro for one reason or another he wasn't top level anymore.

Yeah, a rider who riders 3 GTs in a season and manages two top 10s and a top 20 is clearly a laughing stock.

People also forget just how many GT's he's ridden (26) compared to other riders of similar ages (Evans - 12, Vino - 15, Menchov - 19, Levi - 13)

May 14, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
One of the Greatr GC Riders.

Where can I hear his English?

Agreed. A great rider.

http://youtu.be/ZBZA9g321kQ

Ignore the Spanish title. He speaks in English in this clip. It's from one of the best documentaries about a pro cycling team (CSC), "Overcoming". You should see it. In fact any fan of cycling will want to watch this one.

You can buy it here and here, and maybe get it here also (along with a couple of others).

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Right decision. Nobody wants to see him struggle in GTs. I love to see guys go gracefully on their accord.

Makes me wonder though if a teammate had not won the Vuelta, would he make the same decision.

always sad to see such a great rider retire but imo its the right decision. he has nothing else to achieve and can retire as one of the most consistent GT riders of the last decade with a tour win to boast.

i hope he stays involved with cycling as a DS or a trainer or something of that kind.