• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sastre to Retire

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Maxiton said:
Agreed. A great rider.

http://youtu.be/ZBZA9g321kQ

Ignore the Spanish title. He speaks in English in this clip. It's from one of the best documentaries about a pro cycling team (CSC), "Overcoming". You should see it. In fact any fan of cycling will want to watch this one.

You can buy it here and here, and maybe get it here also (along with a couple of others).

The last link is the best, I got it from there as well some time ago.

Parrulo said:
always sad to see such a great rider retire but imo its the right decision. he has nothing else to achieve and can retire as one of the most consistent GT riders of the last decade with a tour win to boast.

i hope he stays involved with cycling as a DS or a trainer or something of that kind.
+10000 exactly my sentiments. Best wishes for him on his new enterprises.
We'll miss you Carlos...

Hope he does well in whatever he chooses to do next. Good guy.

Spaniard said:

Yeah it's amazing looking at them all lined up like that.

The Hitch said:
Where can I hear his English?

There's him at CSC in Overcoming, who someone else linked to, and there's Cervelo Test Team's Beyond the Peloton series.

His English is more fractured in Overcoming than it is now, being in 2004 and all.

He's in the first two seasons of Beyond The Peloton (2009 + 2010), so obviously his English has improved in the 5 years since Overcoming.

You can get BTP at cyclingtorrents.nl to download, or watch them here - http://www.cervelo.com/btp#video_headline

They're a very interesting series.

Mrs John Murphy said:
Yeah, a rider who riders 3 GTs in a season and manages two top 10s and a top 20 is clearly a laughing stock.

People also forget just how many GT's he's ridden (26) compared to other riders of similar ages (Evans - 12, Vino - 15, Menchov - 19, Levi - 13)

Those are great points. I think the number of GT's may have shortened his career some.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
i will miss carlito too :( but that's the way it is..

00_2003_a.jpg

:D

best celebration ever.

Fact.

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Winterfold said:
Yeah - thats how to win the Tour de France with style, go from the bottom of the Aple and never look back

One of my favourite riders - should have gone after 2009 Giro but that's hindsight

Huge huge huge huge +1.

veganrob said:
Those are great points. I think the number of GT's may have shortened his career some.

Also, think about how many GT's he would have won but for riders with clinic issues. ie 2004 Vuelta where he was beaten by Heras, Santi Perez, Mancebo, Valverde and Quesada.

I think a career with 1 GT, 3 2nds, 2 3rds and 15 top tens is not to be sniffed at.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
roadbiker said:
That's the point! He never was (or better) was willing to be a domestique (even in single races) at his previous teams (especially late CSC and CTT).
And as far as I know his attitude hasn't changed in this matter!

I don't see any PT-team where he would be a reinforcement.
His poor english skills make it quite difficult to work as a DS in a non-Spain team. But Spanish is a 'big' language in cycling.

Absurd post. Virtually every statement lol nice going.

Mrs John Murphy said:
Also, think about how many GT's he would have won but for riders with clinic issues. ie 2004 Vuelta where he was beaten by Heras, Santi Perez, Mancebo, Valverde and Quesada.

I think a career with 1 GT, 3 2nds, 2 3rds and 15 top tens is not to be sniffed at.

Is that a ***** of admiration I detect Mrs J M;)

Edit, Jeez blocked, the missing inoffensive word is c..h..i..n..k

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Been done many times. Contador used to have a cool celebration. Especially in the last stage of Paris-Nice in 2007. That was epic. But then came the pistol shot :eek:

Really?

Who else?

I know footballers have done it since but that is my original memory of the baby dummy celebration.

Great win that - and he knew it was coming - chapeau Carlos.

ferryman said:
Is that a ***** of admiration I detect Mrs J M;)

Edit, Jeez blocked, the missing inoffensive word is c..h..i..n..k

I just find it amusing when people make statements like Sastre was lucky, never worked as a domestique, been rubbish since 2008 etc because it isn't true.

He has had a career which puts many supposed 'better' riders to shame.

Mrs John Murphy said:
I just find it amusing when people make statements like Sastre was lucky, never worked as a domestique, been rubbish since 2008 etc because it isn't true.

He has had a career which puts many supposed 'better' riders to shame.

Agreed

Nice to read though that the cynic of the clinic actually likes a rider (no offence intended) :rolleyes:

I'm also pretty sure that a lot of the peloton would like a '****' year like he's had in his final season where he has done nothing but 'embarrass' himself by finishing top 20 in one GT and top 30 in another while playing a role in a team mate winning one of those GTs.

TRENDING THREADS