• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sastre to skip Tour?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
With Sastre's blowup with Saxo Bank and Riis, they would not allow him even the slightest distance if he were to attack. We saw where in this year's Tour that Saxo was the first to reel Sastre in when he tried to escape. The bitterness that exists makes Sastre's chances for success, even a stage win, quite remote. He likely realizes that Cervelo hasn't the firepower to battle with Shack, Saxo and not to mention Liquigas in the Tour. He's being realistic like many a rider should and pursuing obtainable goals. As mentioned earlier, Evans would be wise to do the same but his recent success in the WCRR has him on a high that likely is skewing his perspective on his actual chances. As world champion he should make an appearance at the Tour but if his goal is to win a grand tour his energies are better spent following Sastre and Menchov's lead and seriously considering focusing on the Giro and Vuelta.

I think we can agree on that Progressor. It is an unknown.

Back to Sastre and the discussion at hand. What might be in his mind is to focus on the Vuelta, and win the Vuelta. He's raced it several times, and finished 2nd (twice), 4th, and 5th, 8th and won the mountains jersey. He may conclude he's already won the Tour in his life, Contador is likely to win in 2010, and if he concentrates on only his national tour, he has a great chance to win it, especially as he's perhaps in the twilight of his career. To be honest, if I were in his cleats, I'd seriously consider this plan.

Alpe d'Huez said:
I think we can agree on that Progressor. It is an unknown.

Back to Sastre and the discussion at hand. What might be in his mind is to focus on the Vuelta, and win the Vuelta. He's raced it several times, and finished 2nd (twice), 4th, and 5th, 8th and won the mountains jersey. He may conclude he's already won the Tour in his life, Contador is likely to win in 2010, and if he concentrates on only his national tour, he has a great chance to win it, especially as he's perhaps in the twilight of his career. To be honest, if I were in his cleats, I'd seriously consider this plan.

+100
I'll cheer him on if he goes full gas for the Giro-and maybe try the Vuelta next year. He's wise enough to realize the TDF is out of his grasp as each year passes by, due to the emerging young talent & the lack of a powerful team behind him.

Aug 25, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
In other words, Alpe's statement contradicts your desires, nothing more.

Did you need to add some antagonism that was missing or something ? That's just a totally unneeded and dishonest shot at me. Leave it out thanks.

No comment.
This thread doesn't get derailed.

Alpe, that's a valid point. I suspect he would choose to take his native tour, over the bigger Italian palmare.

However, imagine a Giro/Vuelta double.
That would be two Spaniards, in three years, doing a double and giving Sastre a "Grand Slam", into the bargain.

Whether he could achieve this and, at the same time, receive the backing of the team, to give it a shot, is another matter.
IMO: A climb too far.

Well, this year he went for a Giro/Tour double (somewhat) and while he won two big stages in the Giro, he was nowhere to be seen in the Tour, and admitted he was exhausted. So I just don't see him pulling off a Giro/Vuelta double.

I also think the Giro won't be to his liking for one reason. Because the first two weeks are fairly flat, it's going to take a climber with a stronger team than I think Cervelo will dedicate to him there. But the lack of any flat ITT km's may appeal to him, so who knows.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
...Back to Sastre and the discussion at hand...

Thank you for that with all sincerity. As much as I like these threads to flow like a conversation, it is so very frustrating and boring to have nearly every thread eventually centre around two riders, neither of whom is the subject of the OP.

Personally, I hope Sastre does skip the Tour. I think we fans would have a better balanced GT lineup over the year. Sastre focussing on the Giro would make for great competition between he and some of the best Italians, and would as mentioned allow Cervelo to bring a team to France that is designed to win sprint stages. The Tour is far more interesting when there are good battles for both the yellow and green jersey. There will still be plenty of GC competition in France without Sastre, and we'll get to enjoy him again in the Vuelta.

TRENDING THREADS