• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sastre top 20 in all 3 Grand Tours, is this an accomplishment (assuming he does it)?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
8th in Giro and 20th in the Tour it seems very likely that if he rides the Vuelta as he says he will he will get a top 20. AFAIR this would be the first time this has happened since Marino Lejaretta did this a few times. When I first read about Lejaretta IU was quite impressed, but with carlos unless he wins the Vuelta or comes close it would be a very ho hum thing, albeit one that has been accomplished only a few times in the history of cycling.

Just finishing all three GT's alive is an accomplishment. Top 20 in all of them is obviously very impressive. I was however more amazed by his 2006 season, where he first did a great giro where he helped Basso win, and then Sastre finished 3. in the TDF before he finished 4th in the Vuelta.

Carlos is a very unique cyclist, and considering all the agony/pain/suffering he went through during the Giro, and then ride the tour with some of those discomforts, & still have the courage to ride the Vuelta..... I think is remarkable-regardless if he's top 20 or top 10- since nowadays is very difficult to encounter a rider willing to do the three GTs the same year-as a domestiques or GT captains.... the toll on your body is very high

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
Nick C. said:
8th in Giro and 20th in the Tour it seems very likely that if he rides the Vuelta as he says he will he will get a top 20. AFAIR this would be the first time this has happened since Marino Lejaretta did this a few times. When I first read about Lejaretta IU was quite impressed, but with carlos unless he wins the Vuelta or comes close it would be a very ho hum thing, albeit one that has been accomplished only a few times in the history of cycling.
The list

Rapahael Geminiani (Fra) 1955. Giro 4th, Tour 6th, Vuelta 3rd.
Gastone Nencini (Ita) 1957. Giro 1st, Tour 6th, Vuelta 9th.
Federico Bahamontes (Spa) 1958. Giro 17th, Tour 8th, Vuelta 6th.
Eduardo Chozas (Spa) 1991. Giro 10th, Tour 11th, Vuelta 11th.
Marino Lajaretta (Spa) 1989. Giro 10th, Tour 5th, Vuelta 20th.

Almost

Marzio Bruseghin (Ita) 2008. Giro 3rd, Tour 24th, Vuelta 10th.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Lejarreta only managed to do top 20 in the 3 GTs in 1989. In the other years he did the 3 GTs he was top 10 in two of them and cracked in the other. And he only did podium once in the 1991 Vuelta.

Sastre's 2006 season was perhaps more impressive. Even Sastre's 2008 season, winning the Tour and being 3rd in the Vuelta was also impressive, just to be followed by another superb performance in the 2009 Giro.

However, the name of Lejarreta brings to me the memories of the 1983 Vuelta, when he beat Hinault 3 times in the mountains (including an ITT) by more than a minute. He lost 3 minutes in a cross wind split and more time in the flat ITT, but he still considers his 1983 Vuelta as his best race. And so do I.

Yes, Sastre beat Evans and Menchov in 2008, but they can't be compared to the badger.

halamala said:
The list

Almost

Some pretty good names there. Sastre has tried so hard, I hope he gets it done.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
I hope so, and from the way he is trying to convince Cervelo to support him at the Vuelta, I bet he does. It's a pretty impressive accomplishment just to finish all three.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Respect for Sastre!

A really tough guy... Es una maquina, ufff 3 GTs en un año... pero es que hay que ser un robot...! Allez Carlos!!!

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Top 10 in all three would really be an achievement, even better with a podium in one of the three.

He missed it by his useless and energy-wasting attack in the Tourmalet stage. But at least he is a rider who is always good for action and escapes. respect.

I'm sure that a few more riders could achieve this if they really wanted too (rather than focus strongly on one or two GT's). Top 10 in all three really would be a big deal. But given Sastre's age I think that three top 20's is worth applauding.

Like someone said, just to finish all three is a good achievement.

halamala said:
The list

Almost

Also recall that pre mid-90s the Vuelta took place before the Giro and Tour meaning that you'd have to basically fit 9 weeks of racing into about 4 months. This makes the achievements of Chozas and Lejaretta truly remarkable in my book.