• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Saur-Sojasun in the Tour de France 2011 (Early Thread)

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
bilansaur_sitesaur.jpg

1. - ENGOULVENT, Jimmy (1979-12-07)
2. - CASPER, Jimmy (1978-05-28)
3. - COPPEL, Jérome (1986-08-06)
4. - COYOT, Arnaud (1981-10-06)
5. - DELAPLACE, Anthony (1989-08-11)
6. - BESSY, Cyril (1986-05-29)
7. - GALLAND, Jeremie (1983-04-08)
8. - HIVERT, Jonathan (1985-03-23
9. - JEANDESBOZ, Fabrice (1984-12-04)
10.- JOLY, Sébastien (1979-06-25)
11.- LABORIE, Christophe (1986-08-05)
12.- LEMOINE, Cyril (1983-03-03)
13.- LEVARLET, Guillaume (1985-07-25)
14.- MANGEL, Laurent (1981-05-22)
15.- MARINO, Jean-Marc (1983-03-03)
16.- MARTIAS, Rony (1980-08-04)
17.- MATHEOU, Romain (1988-11-08)
18.- PAIANI, Jean-lou (1988-12-23)
19.- POULHIES, Stéphane (1985-06-26)
20.- POUX, Paul (1984-09-07)
21.- SIMON, Julien (1985-10-04)
22.- TALABARDON, Yannick (1981-07-06)
23.- TURPIN, Ludovic (1975-03-22)

** J & J are in the 98th.

That will become a dog fight to make the cut in this French cycling breather.

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
Dont see them getting a wild card, Cofidis-Europcar-FDJ have riders the ASO simply can't exclude (Moncoutie/Voeckler-Chavanel-Charteau/Fedrigo-Casar) while Saur offers just talent.
(The invitation of Geox is a no brainer)

I agree, they arent in the top four at the moment. I imagine they'll have to impress in the early season to move up the pecking order, put on a good show at Paris-Nice. Otherwise it may be a case of aiming for the Dauphine.

jens_attacks said:
no chance.i think even ceramica flaminia has better chances to ride 2011 tour de france.
You don't know what you're talking about, do you? Besides the fact that Ceramica Flaminia does not exist anymore (merged with De Rosa) and that ASO will choose a French team over a foreign team if they have equal strength, Saur has by far better riders than De Rosa-Flaminia.

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Which is the last eighteenth team in the ranking according to which we have 18 PT teams? Because if 2008 years agreement between UCI and GT organizers still valid then we have not 4 but 5 wild cards.

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
janraaskalt said:
Jerome Coppel is a serious contender for a top 10 GC spot in the Tour de France.

Maybe, we saw him strong at Dauphine (Alpe d’Huez stage), but we have never seen him strong at GTs. This not mean he couldn't be competitive at TDF but many riders can reach this top-10 or maybe his niche is week long races like J-C Peraud we really don't know.
I think Saur has the squad for TDF stages and maybe even top-10 from Coppel but there will be 22 teams stronger than they are

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
I'm a big fan of Saur Sojasun, as i mentionned this many times on this forum.
I think they deserve a spot in the tour and other major races. They can perform better than teams like cofidis, europcar or fdj IMO.
As many already mentioned, Jerome Coppel can be a candidate for a top 10 in the GC. As for the sprinters, Casper will have a decent lead-out train (Engoulvent, Lemoine, Coyot). Nad they have other decent riders that can animate the race in the breakaways.
I really hope they get an invite, for an additional reason which is the values that the team is based on, which are the environment and sustainable development.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Please. Saur will not get a wild-card.

Just look at the other potential Pro continental teams lining up.
Europcar, Cofidis, FDJ, Geox. Saur will definitely not get an invitation, unless Fedrigo, Voeckler, Menchov, Sastre, Moncoutie, Taaramae and Casar will all be caught for doping :D
Which seems highly unlikely.

janraaskalt said:
Jerome Coppel is a serious contender for a top 10 GC spot in the Tour de France.

I agree -- Coppel is probably the best all-around rider we've seen France produce in a while. Before last year's Dauphine he'd been quietly amassing top-10 and top-15 placings for a while; then his ability to hang with Contador, Szmyd and JB (and even put in a few digs himself) on l'Alpe D'Huez was remarkable. He hasn't done anything huge yet, of course, but his good performances so far have been part of a pattern rather than flashes in the pan.

Meanwhile SS cleaned up at last year's second-tier events. I'll admit that it's hard to see them being picked over Cofidis and FDJ; on the other hand, there is no chance that those teams will deliver anything different from what they usually do, and SS just might.

nobilis said:
I'm a big fan of Saur Sojasun, as i mentionned this many times on this forum.
I think they deserve a spot in the tour and other major races. They can perform better than teams like cofidis, europcar or fdj IMO.
As many already mentioned, Jerome Coppel can be a candidate for a top 10 in the GC. As for the sprinters, Casper will have a decent lead-out train (Engoulvent, Lemoine, Coyot). Nad they have other decent riders that can animate the race in the breakaways.
I really hope they get an invite, for an additional reason which is the values that the team is based on, which are the environment and sustainable development.
If Coppel is a candidate for top-10 in the Tour, a lot of people are. But maybe Saur can fool the ASO into thinking he can do it.

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Vonn Brinkman said:
Please. Saur will not get a wild-card.

Just look at the other potential Pro continental teams lining up.
Europcar, Cofidis, FDJ, Geox. Saur will definitely not get an invitation, unless Fedrigo, Voeckler, Menchov, Sastre, Moncoutie, Taaramae and Casar will all be caught for doping :D
Which seems highly unlikely.

if it's about possibilities then, imo only Menchov of this list will be enough :) Saur is the team #23 for TDF, and if some team of 22 above them would have problems Saur will replace this team :rolleyes:

Coppel did very well in the Dauphine but with no tour invite that was probably the event he was peaking for while at least some of the other contenders would have been aiming for the tour. It wasnt the strongest of fields either. However, a good performance nonetheless and he finished ninth in paris-nice this year at the age of 22. Might be up to him to improve next year in Paris-Nice and put some pressure on ASO, especially if some of the other french teams are struggling.

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Heulot says Gianetti has "no shame"

“The Tour’s a long way away,” he said. “We’re not in the business of space travel, so let’s keep our feet on the ground. We’ve kept our roster very stable, and our policy is one of slow growth. We’re under no pressure from our sponsor or anyone else. Our priority is to stay true to our beliefs, our work ethic and keep improving. That’s got us to number 22 in the world rankings and 22 teams should ride the Tour, so there’s no need for us to worry.”

[http://cyclingnews.com/heulot]

Nice Web: [http://saur-sojasun.com]

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Ohhh, he say no need to worry, that's a sign :D he's worried, very worried and it's not groundlessly, because when TDF teamlist will be revealed, accusations will flow of Heulot's mouth and we'll hear about killing of French cycling by ASO one more time

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
LARM: BOMSHELL by ASO

jens_attacks said:
no chance.i think even ceramica flaminia has better chances to ride 2011 tour de france.
You know I love you so much jens but this time you wil go on your knees for me and beg for mercy !!! :D

13/01/2011 à 19h33 Les wildcards attribuées dès fin janvier
This year more than ever, tickets for the Tour de France will be expensive. With 18 ProTour teams and 23 Pro Conti, many will consider to be at the start of the Tour next July.

Traditionally, invitations are issued in the spring so that teams can be successful in the early season and prove they deserve to be retained. Once is not custom, Cyclism'Actu learns through Jean-Francois Pescheux that invitations for the Tour de France 2011 will be awarded at the end of January.

Jean-Francois Pescheux, technical director at ASO, we also told that there will be "more surprises" on the teams invited necessarily with a lot of disappointment, and not necessarily those that you might think.

En lire Cyclism'Actu: http://www.cyclismactu.net/news-tdf...uees_des_fin_janvier-11660.html#ixzz1AxetyPdy

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
all invitations? or just some?

how strong is cofidis' position? Moncoutie doesn't seem that much better then Coppel. Moncoutie is only good at the vuelta...

Matthijs said:
all invitations? or just some?

how strong is cofidis' position? Moncoutie doesn't seem that much better then Coppel. Moncoutie is only good at the vuelta...

Other than Moncoutie they also have Dumoulin and Vogondy who could possibly weigh into a consideration. I don't know how much ASO would care about Duque, Taaramäe and Keukeleire however.

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
I'd tend to agree that Cofidis might be in a bit of trouble getting an invite.

As for S-S -why has Jonathan Hivert not progressed much? Didn't he have a really good Paris-Nice in 2009 (?) but doesn't seem to have been remotely involved in anything good since then!!

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Maybe Coppel is a contender for a top 10 if the whole peloton is 100% clean. As much as I would like to Saur-Sojasun in the Tour de France, I can't see them getting a wildcard, although ASO gave one to Skil-Shimano, so who knows?