• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How To Say my name! Pronunciation thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
First of all thank you for all your explanations so far already. I think I will have to ask more specific questions about those because some descriptions surprise and actually irritate me even more. :D Will do that with a bit more time at hand...
As to some names that I really have questions about:
  • Majerus
  • Vuillermoz (o or os at the end?)
  • Antunes (es or esh at the end?)

Let me repeat myself from from two years ago regarding the pronunciation of Vingegaard:

It's a compound word.

Vinge means wing and is pronounced like it's spelled. Stress the first syllable. The v is like an English v, the i is like the i in "wing", the "ng" sound is pronounced like "ng" in wing and the e is not silent but pronounced like the e in the English "the".

Gaard means farm and is pronounced a bit like the English "law" but with stød, making the word end sound like a finish and a shorter sound than law. And of course with a hard g instead of l.
I have read Ving-ge (IPA ŋɡ as in finger) praised as correct, but you seem to be advocating Ving-e (IPA ŋ as in ringer). Which should it be?

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
First of all thank you for all your explanations so far already. I think I will have to ask more specific questions about those because some descriptions surprise and actually irritate me even more. :D Will do that with a bit more time at hand...
As to some names that I really have questions about:
  • Majerus
  • Vuillermoz (o or os at the end?)
  • Antunes (es or esh at the end?)

I think Boels-Dolmans did a video a few years ago where all their riders pronounced their names. Majerus was with stress on the second syllable, the j was something like the j in ninja if I recall correctly, and "rus" was with a u like in German and you do pronounce the s.

Reactions: BlueRoads
If you want to hear the portuguese names this website might help: https://pt.forvo.com/search/Amaro Antunes/pt_pt/

Just make sure you choose portuguese from Portugal and not from Brazil.
If they don't have the name of the cyclist, they'll have other famous people with the same name(s).
The Portuguese pronunciation there is very much a -sh rather than -es ending as you suggested above

Emphasis on the second syllable, not the first: it should be spelled Martínez (the accent indicates divergence from the normal stress on last syllable for a word ending in z), and because he is South American, the final sound is an S, not a Z (or a th).

I copied it off the Ineos website where there is no accent mark. But I just checked and in other places on the web there is one.

TRENDING THREADS