• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

SBS Australia Coverage of the 2009 TDF vote here Good or Bad?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What do you think of the TDF on SBS 2009

• It would be OK, but Mckenzie gives me the creeps!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The Falcon said:
cmon kid, this is OZ.

Cricket is the No.1 summer sport in the country and so it will remain.

SBS is still showing full TDF coverage on SBS2. I dont see how broadcasting the Ashes has made them any less serious about cycling. Lets not get too carried away.

Channel 9 should show the cricket as they usually do. Yes australia is a big cricketing nation but SBS is the channel for cycling and with Cadel and the other aussie riders kicking **** in europe (other than this tour, so far) sbs needs to get their broadcasting to a higher level. Sbs are doing a great job but they could step it up a notch.

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
and with Cadel and the other aussie riders kicking **** in europe (other than this tour, so far) sbs needs to get their broadcasting to a higher level

When did this "a*se kicking" take place ? I don't remember. All I see is aussies losing time and making pointless attacks.

Bad

1 Tomalaris - Buffoon. I cannot respect a professional commentator who knows less than the paltry amount I do. Also, they need a wider camera lens so he doesn't have to stand so close to Paul/Phil...it gives me the creeps. Oh, and someone tell Mike there are others in the race besides Armstrong and Evans.

2 Gabriel Gate - A segment which was pre-recorded at Southbank during the summer should never clash with live sport. Put him on earlier, or at least have the race running in a small screen in the corner.

3 Muppets - The ultimate fanboys. I wanted to puke last night when they started banging on about how Armstrong was being persecuted by the French anti-doping authorities. Also, their mistakes are becoming cringe-worthy.

4 Ads - I don't mind them having ads...they have to pay for it somehow. Still, they need to find a bigger variety of advertisers. I've only just got that Skoda sandcastle ad out of my head from last year.

Good

1 Matt Keenan - Very knowledgeable. His voice is a bit monotonous after a while, but if he was teamed up with someone so he didn't have to do all the work himself, I'd much rather listen to him for 3 hours than the muppets.

2 Full stage coverage like we had on the weekend.

3 Managing the Ashes/Tour clash very well - They even have cross promotion in recognition that some of us like more than one sport.

4 Live streaming - A friend of mine was stuck in a hotel last night which did not have SBS Two. He wasn't able to watch from 8pm, but SBS streamed it live on the internet from 10pm, which is better than nothing.

auscyclefan94 said:
If SBS are going to become serious about cycling, they need to give priority to the Cycling and not the AShes. SBS shows the tdf every year but every 4 years they seem to let the cricket take priority. Let Ch 9 have the cricket as they usuallly do and let sbs have the cycling. SBS gets a high percentage of viewers from cycling so they should support the viewers who support them by watching their programs (cycling)

How does The Ashes effect SBS Cyclng?

Unless there's some regions which for some reason can't access SBSTWO, where is the issue? TdF is actually on SBSTWO only in W.A. even when the cricket isn't on. Regardless, The Ashes rate far better so it's simply logic to have them on "ONE".

What does Channel 9 have to do with it, if they wanted the Ashes rights they would pay for them, subsequently no one else wants them and the federal government subsidises the rights for SBS to ensure that the event remains on FTA TV. Honestly not sure how you are complaining when 4 hours of TdF live every night is better than what most countries get.

In an ideal world Foxtel would co-own the rights to lots of cycling events as for many years they have demonstrated to be the only TV broadcaster in Australia dedicated to live and full coverage of sporting events.

If SBS want to get serious about cycling they would provide live coverage of the other cycling events they have the TV rights for.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
whiteboytrash said:
When did this "a*se kicking" take place ? I don't remember. All I see is aussies losing time and making pointless attacks.

another 3 week fanboy eh? Australians (including our own Haussler) have been performing pretty well in recent years, a Paris-Roubaix victory, a couple of TdF podiums and a lot of solid results in classics and semi classics. On balance the Australian performances have outshone those of the USA in the last couple of years ;)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
whiteboytrash said:

2 x 2nd places in the tdf
Stage wins in all grand tours
Paris Roubaix
High finishes in major classics
Stage wins and overall wins in 1 week tours
- In general we are always up there with the best in any type of race. For such a small country we kick the americans **** across the cycling calendar!

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Marmot said:
Bad

1 Tomalaris - Buffoon. I cannot respect a professional commentator who knows less than the paltry amount I do. Also, they need a wider camera lens so he doesn't have to stand so close to Paul/Phil...it gives me the creeps. Oh, and someone tell Mike there are others in the race besides Armstrong and Evans.

2 Gabriel Gate - A segment which was pre-recorded at Southbank during the summer should never clash with live sport. Put him on earlier, or at least have the race running in a small screen in the corner.

3 Muppets - The ultimate fanboys. I wanted to puke last night when they started banging on about how Armstrong was being persecuted by the French anti-doping authorities. Also, their mistakes are becoming cringe-worthy.

4 Ads - I don't mind them having ads...they have to pay for it somehow. Still, they need to find a bigger variety of advertisers. I've only just got that Skoda sandcastle ad out of my head from last year.

Good

1 Matt Keenan - Very knowledgeable. His voice is a bit monotonous after a while, but if he was teamed up with someone so he didn't have to do all the work himself, I'd much rather listen to him for 3 hours than the muppets.

3 Managing the Ashes/Tour clash very well - They even have cross promotion in recognition that some of us like more than one sport.

4 Live streaming - A friend of mine was stuck in a hotel last night which did not have SBS Two. He wasn't able to watch from 8pm, but SBS streamed it live on the internet from 10pm, which is better than nothing.

The RaboPlus one where the guy is shaving his legs in the bath whilst his wife brushes her teeth is another shocker.

Mar 12, 2009
www.actvets.cc
auscyclefan94 said:
Channel 9 should show the cricket as they usually do. Yes australia is a big cricketing nation but SBS is the channel for cycling and with Cadel and the other aussie riders kicking **** in europe (other than this tour, so far) sbs needs to get their broadcasting to a higher level. Sbs are doing a great job but they could step it up a notch.

You have to wonder why the Cricket is on SBS if its such a popular sport. I have a friend who works in the industry and he let me into a few home truths.

With the Ashes is not in prime time the main channels don't want to show it because the ad revenue would be less then what they get from the infomercials that they normally show during this time. This is because the advertisers know that people will record and fast forward.

From what I understand SBS gets the Ashes for a song and by putting it on their primary channel (digital has still not really taken off here yet) can cover the costs and still make some profit.

I admit I would prefer that SBS used their HD channel for the Tour, but with the rest of the support that they are giving to cycling I will put up with a few flat stages in 'normal vision'.

The big disappointment that I have coming up is that the new Channel 10 digital sports channel know as 'ONE' has got the rights to telecast the World Championships which are holding her in Oz in 2010. If you saw the rubbish that 10 has call coverage of the Tour Down Under you will understand my disappointment.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
SBS are doing a great job far as I'm concerned, I feel spoiled with all the updates and live coverage. Compared to what we had here only a few years ago (showing my age), it's fantastic.

I'm not bothered by the fact that P & P's remit is to present to a broad audience instead of speaking to 'serious' cycling fans either. I can usually see for myself what's going on in the race anyway. In fact I'd much rather have the familiar amiable old uncles calling the race and providing entertainment in their own right than a more accurate but boring monotone Strine accent droning on. I dread the day Phil and Paul stop calling the TdF.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
James Jordan said:
The big disappointment that I have coming up is that the new Channel 10 digital sports channel know as 'ONE' has got the rights to telecast the World Championships which are holding her in Oz in 2010. If you saw the rubbish that 10 has call coverage of the Tour Down Under you will understand my disappointment.

Ouch, that's going to hurt.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
James Jordan said:

They get commentators and interviewers who know nothing at all about cycling. It makes me cringe knowing that i could do a better job than them and that their questions are so obvious. Last year at the Herald Sun Tour coverage, an interviewer called Mark Howie (AFl commentator) made a statement that the CSC Tour de france winning team was at the Herald Sun Tour. They had 1 rider from the tdf team which was Stuart OGrady. The rest of the riders were the C grade riders who only fill up spots on the main events. Hopefully Ch10/ONE do a better job with the world champs because our coveraage would be the laughing stock of other countries.

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
Just worked out what my favourite moment of 08 was

I hate that "what was your favourite moment of the tour?" question people love to ask, but I've worked out my answer for last year. It's the moment where Mike Tomalaris gets slapped for 'patting' Cadel on his injured shoulder. I just wish Cadel had gone the full swing rather than the light slap.

Can't stand the guy, anyone know how someone who probably can't ride a bike without training wheels ended up as the "Australian voice of cycling"?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
badboyberty said:
I hate that "what was your favourite moment of the tour?" question people love to ask, but I've worked out my answer for last year. It's the moment where Mike Tomalaris gets slapped for 'patting' Cadel on his injured shoulder. I just wish Cadel had gone the full swing rather than the light slap.

Can't stand the guy, anyone know how someone who probably can't ride a bike without training wheels ended up as the "Australian voice of cycling"?

I think people can't stand mike is because he makes very outlandish statements about the riders and wants to blow LA. I thought Cadel punched the microphone as somebody kept wacking his collarbone. Please somebody correct me if i am wrong! The australian voice of cycling is Matt Keenan or Dave Mackenzie but Dave lost his credibility with his dumm comments about the Canc V Cadel saga.

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
It was defnitely Tomalaris (or Tomalaris's microphone) that was the target of Cadel's anger that day. No denying that Keenan should be the voice of Australian cycling, but right now it's damn hard to avoid Mikey.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Marmot said:
Bad

Good

Thanks for posting what I would have if I wasnt so lazy. If Matt was given an offsider, that would be fantastic. It could be a pro rider, a rotation of pro riders, a mix of cycling people.

It could also be a competition. No cost at all to SBS, well maybe they could stump up the cost of an airfare and a nights accom, I wouldnt mind hearing fred nerk half full of ink for half an hour or so.

Maybe they could get Roy and HG to do a stage?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Just when I thought they couldnt do any worse than Tomalaris, in steps a new buffoon, Rupert Guniess or whatever the hell his name is. If the best they can do is a no name 'news limited' reporter with no cycling credentials, they really are scraping the bottom of the barrel. I've actually resorted to muting the post race footage as I can stand the diatribe and nonsense coming out from these clowns. Too bad we still have to watch the fat f*ck and his horrible shirts. I nearly puked when Tomalaris refers to him as 'Rupey'. Cringeworthy. Man, Im sooo angry just thinking about it. Why don't they just bring McKenzie back or at least someone with a clue.

Well Im off to the SBS site to give them a piece of my mind.

Rant over!!

May 22, 2009
Visit site
I agree, Tomalaris is average, he knows hardly enough to be doing the wrap-ups and it's clear he's just buying for time until the podium presentations start with his spiel about cadel, armstrong, stage winner etc etc...

Don't mind Paul & Phil, even though they do happen to make quite a few mistakes of late, they are still good value as commentators.

Keenan is very good. He should be the one doing the post-race stuff, not Tomalaris, I always enjoy his insightful comments during the early part of the race.

As for the coverage, its excellent! Except for the fact that SBS switched to a commercial break at 8km to go last night, meaning we completely missed all the attacks at the bottom of the climb to Verbier. That was average, why do they have to put in a comm. break at such a critical time!!!

Iceman

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
Overall coverage is great, what more do you experts want?

We get it for free with awesome scenery and a balanced coverage that suits the majority with its content and interesting asides....like Gate!

As for P1 & P2 ... its a bit like Murray Walker .... love or hate him ...... he adds colour and I couldnt think of anything worse than constant tech talk and assuming things.... however although a big Lance fan, I do tire of the constant harkings to him.

Maybe more comment on other riders is about all I can improve on.:cool:

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Yeah that ****ed me off too. Couldn't believe it. Crunch time. Let's go for 1min in adds. Then they come back with 5km to go and we have no idea what has happened. Have to watch the highlights to get what really happened. Think Spartican did a huge pull, then said to Evan's get off the train (which he did) and they both dropped off.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
yes, last nights ad break 1/3 way up Verbier was ridiculous.

and +1 to lose "Rupey". I'd like to take him and Tomalaris on a fishing trip.......i'll supply the concrete flippers.

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
I think the coverage is improving year on year, and let's get real - it's FREE! I live in Perth so we're two hours ahead of the east coast and every stage is done and dusted by 11.15pm - perfect. It also means I can got to bed armed with a perfect excuse not to listen to Mike Tomalaris and that muppet in the Hawaiian shirt. Dear oh dear, these two do nothing to add to our comprehension of the sport, the conditions on the ground, or offer any insight that we couldn't have gleaned from what we've just watched. Why send them half way around the planet to offer coverage which could be equally well observed from a Sydney studio? Phil and Paul have a kind of kitsch appeal, i.e. so bad, they're actually good. Their absolute reliance on cliche and Lance worship is incredibly lazy and irritating though. There are 180 riders in the race - you could be forgiven for thinking it was Lance, AC, Cadel, Andy and 176 automatons. If you want properly reasoned insight into pro-cycling turn either to this site, or one of the better magazines.
One last thing, SBS should be applauded for bringing the Tour and cycling in to the popular conscious in Australia - whether the layman understands the sport or not he is at least aware of its existence. Awareness of the sport equals valuing the sport equals other road users giving us a slightly easier time. In theory :)

May 26, 2009
Visit site
unsheath said:
Just when I thought they couldnt do any worse than Tomalaris, in steps a new buffoon, Rupert Guniess
Rupert Guinness is a very big name in cycling journalism, having published multiple books on the subject, and been one of the top cycling journo's in Australia since the early 80s, including winning the Walkley for his writing.
In fact, Rupert is one of the acknowledgements in one of the Le Tour books I've just finished reading (published in '91).
Personally I love the SBS Tour coverage, especially seeing as this year we in Perth get the same coverage as everyone else in Australia, and NOT the 1-1.5 hours a day we got the last couple of years (i.e. starting at the same time - 10pm/10:30pm as the East).
Yeah, Mike can ask some silly questions, and even after all these years of visiting France he still has the most shocking answers.
I'm also a huge fan of both Phil and Paul, despite the "suitcase of courage" type comments, and the LA worship, but I suspect that this is to cater for the American audience that is also getting the same coverage that we get on SBS.
I've been watching the coverage on SBS since the first tour we got here - '91 I think - and it's just incredible how far we've come. I suspect that in the next few years we'll start getting more live races, including the Giro and the Vuelta, especially now that SBS have realised they can use the 2nd channel for more than just foreign news programmes.
Neil

May 26, 2009
Visit site
The Falcon said:
yes, last nights ad break 1/3 way up Verbier was ridiculous.
5 freakin' km from the end of the stage and they think it's appropriate? I hope the person in charge of pressing that button got his **** kicked.

TRENDING THREADS