• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

SBS Australia Coverage of the 2009 TDF vote here Good or Bad?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What do you think of the TDF on SBS 2009

• It would be OK, but Mckenzie gives me the creeps!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Bring on matt keenan... he is the best english speaking commentator and possibly one of the best in the world. His knowledge is so vast and for commentating on his own, it shows just how good he is...

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
yes i give thanks to SBS
as an ordinary mug on the street they entertain me
if i think hard tyhen yeah, they love LA and Gabriel sh*ts me and yeah thats true Mike T really does know jack
But for simple entertainment they do a great job and i do enjoy the wrap up with the mandatory tourist in the background looking down the camera
imagine if 9 or 7 had it...egads!

so i give it 9/10 and can live with the 1/10 because i mean i'm getting every stage live, and in HD a lot too.

thank you very much SBS you do a great job for sport

Mar 30, 2009
Visit site
groverjones said:
5 freakin' km from the end of the stage and they think it's appropriate? I hope the person in charge of pressing that button got his **** kicked.

I seriously threw the remote at the TV.....SBS, you owe me a new one!!!!!

I'm all for 'good on SBS' for at least covering cycling and giving it some kudos here in aus but for f's sake, you don't do something half arsed and then blame poor producing on the fact that no-one else is doing it.

also, ditch rupie and i know keenan has a lot of knowledge but really the guy has the personality of a wombat. Get McKenzie in on the act....at least there's some passion there. I don't mind taste le tour and phil and paul give me laugh each night so what more could I want.

SBS....you're doing a great job, kinda.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Overall SBS give us fantastic coverage. I've been watching the tour since the late 80's & we really have to be thankful for how much coverage we have.

But...
- Mike Tomalaris reminds me of Daryl Summers the way he waffles on.
- Gabriele G, thank god this is only 5min this year not 30 like previous years, and it gives me a chance to go to the loo or make a coffee.
- Tomalaris seems to think that Cadel keeps making a tatical mistake by not attacking on the mountains. He doesn't understand that the riders are 100% on the limit and can't go any faster.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
groverjones said:
Rupert Guinness is a very big name in cycling journalism, having published multiple books on the subject, and been one of the top cycling journo's in Australia since the early 80s, including winning the Walkley for his writing.
In fact, Rupert is one of the acknowledgements in one of the Le Tour books I've just finished reading (published in '91).
Personally I love the SBS Tour coverage, especially seeing as this year we in Perth get the same coverage as everyone else in Australia, and NOT the 1-1.5 hours a day we got the last couple of years (i.e. starting at the same time - 10pm/10:30pm as the East).
Yeah, Mike can ask some silly questions, and even after all these years of visiting France he still has the most shocking answers.
I'm also a huge fan of both Phil and Paul, despite the "suitcase of courage" type comments, and the LA worship, but I suspect that this is to cater for the American audience that is also getting the same coverage that we get on SBS.
I've been watching the coverage on SBS since the first tour we got here - '91 I think - and it's just incredible how far we've come. I suspect that in the next few years we'll start getting more live races, including the Giro and the Vuelta, especially now that SBS have realised they can use the 2nd channel for more than just foreign news programmes.
Neil

He should stick to print as he sure as hell doesn't belong on TV.

Partner him in with Grant Hackett and you'll have the all star commentary team.

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
the coverage is terrible, they put adds in the worst posititions, at the start of the final climb!! i was beside myself. get the add out of the wasy on the way down hills and on the flats, not when theres most likely to be an attack.

phillop said:
the coverage is terrible, they put adds in the worst posititions, at the start of the final climb!! i was beside myself. get the add out of the wasy on the way down hills and on the flats, not when theres most likely to be an attack.

i moan a lot about the ITV 4 coverage here in the UK, but they at least didn't do that...

they obviously have to put in a number of ad breaks, but they put them all in before the final climb.... i'd be so ****ed if they did that...

anyway, as far as P & P go... you've got to remember that they're broadcasting the international feed. so much of their repitition and sounds bites and pauses is to give the different feeds the ability to cut to ads cleanly and to make tight highlight edits... you notice a lot of the time Paul has been talking for a while, and then phil comes back and other completely contradicts him, or repeats what he's said..i think in those instances he's been doing some sponsor thing for another feed like Vs' one, and so while there in the same booth, they're actually talking to different feeds, especially the Vs one because EVERYTHING there is sponsored by something... why the hell the GC leaderboard of a BIKE RACE is sponsored by Cadillac i have no fraking idea

it can make it sound disjoined at times and i think it's why they make mistakes.. either that or phil is getting the murray walkers

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
SBS need to change the commentary team.

They need Matt Keenan doing the commentary with someone else.

Phil & Paul can stay around - just to the other audiences.

SBS are doing good. But they can expand. Time they look into it!

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
WTF!

phil and paul are BEST

gabriel gate is a douche ill grant that

matt keenan is a cool dude

tomalaris does a fair job

u guys have gotta lighten up. I think that the commentry is excellent and if it gets repetitive well damn what do u expect for a race of 180 people riding their bike for 200km!

they have to be repetitive because not everyone watches all 3 weeks. u get new viewers all the time and they need to learn whats goin on.

and whats all this nonsense abt phil and paul being TOO pro lance. seriously if u dont like lance armstrong you are a complete and utter douchebag. you can never be too pro lance!

seriously its a race thats mostly easy to guess what will happen. usually monotonous and boring and VERY repetitive so, yes, the commentry wont be like horse racing or the footy.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
the_kman said:
WTF!

phil and paul are BEST

gabriel gate is a douche ill grant that

matt keenan is a cool dude

tomalaris does a fair job

u guys have gotta lighten up. I think that the commentry is excellent and if it gets repetitive well damn what do u expect for a race of 180 people riding their bike for 200km!

they have to be repetitive because not everyone watches all 3 weeks. u get new viewers all the time and they need to learn whats goin on.

and whats all this nonsense abt phil and paul being TOO pro lance. seriously if u dont like lance armstrong you are a complete and utter douchebag. you can never be too pro lance!

seriously its a race thats mostly easy to guess what will happen. usually monotonous and boring and VERY repetitive so, yes, the commentry wont be like horse racing or the footy.

:eek: Maybe hes Gabriel! But probably Tomalaris, because I think that even he thinks he isn't doing a good job.

Anyway, if its with us or against us reasoning that you want I'm douchebaging it.

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
All good except,

1. Tomalaris is a ****

2. The ad break Sunday night just as the **** hit the fan, almost cried, actually did cry but big men don't admit to that.

I know when Tomalaris started covering the cycling for SBS they didn't have the resources for both football and cycling journalists, but now there's no excuse. Tomo should go back to watching guys run around an oval for eighty minutes while someone who knows what goes on in a 21 day stage race gets to cover the cycling.

And maybe P & P need to be given an ultimatum on just how many different broadcasts they're allowed to do at once.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
It's not the repetitiveness that is annoying about Phil and Paul. That can be handled.

It's Phil's constant mistakes. He's not professional enough anymore.

unsheath said:
If Rupey dares invade my screen tonight, Ima gonna hunt him down and brick his house when he returns from France.

Sorry to dissapoint you unsheath, but i remember Tomo at the end of stage 15 to Verbier say to Rupert. "We'll see you and your shirts again in a couple of days" I only remember because of the comment about the shirts. And today is a couple of days since Verbier, so things aren't looking good:D

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Tonight's coverage is abysmal. Not even live coverage, it's at least 10km behind the action. Too bad if I like to keep the updates window open to see time splits. Shocking, shocking coverage.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
I was about to say the same but now it's live.

Tomarlaris did say at the start of the coverage that they would go to delayed broadcast then live action. Obviously they didn't want to pitch to live vision when they were at the top of the climb. So they showed us the action a fewkm down on delay.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Another sign of Ligget losing the plot.

You've been watching the stage all day. You know who is in the break. Half way up the last climb a Cofidis rider attacked.

"To me it looks like Christophe Kern" - something similar were his words. Anyone paying attention to the stage knew that Moinard was the only rider that represented Cofidis on that climb.

That is one mistake of many he makes a day. He's losing it!

If that rider attacked from the peloton and he miscalled it, I wouldn't mind. Mistakes happen.

But to call Kern from a break half way up the last climb when the break was established for 80km+ when he "never was in the break" just shows you that this guy shouldn't be calling races anymore.

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
Can someone invite Phil on a ride with me during the Tour Down Under. We can go up Willunga Hill and then dive back down into McLaren Vale wine and have a nice bottle of a McLaren Vale Shiraz, Sangiovese or a GSM.

I don't care if he can't get rider's names straight, Moinard became Nuyens in the run up to the finish for a second, but getting wine regions confused is just blasphemy. It might have been called the Jacobs Creek Tour Down Under, but Contador never won a stage in the Barossa. I mean does he look like the Chardonnay or Reisling type?

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
Mike up to his Lance loving best again last night. Three riders smash the field to pieces on an epic stage, and straight away were into the story of the guy who finished 5th! Just like the night before when it was all about the man who finished 12th! Even Magnum PI is getting embarrassed with the Lance Love-in as he quickly changed the subject to the Schlecks - the real story of the night. Come on Mike if you are too lazy to construct an opinion that doesn't include the most over documented cyclist in history, why are you providing analysis of the sport?

And let's give Phil and Paul a break - there are only so many ways you can describe a quaint French village and hour after hour of Gregory Rast's 'I want to look tough like Lance' poker face at the front stringing out the peloton. In fact Contador seems like the only guy in the team incapable of pulling that face.