• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

SBS secures tv rights

gregrowlerson said:
It was good that SBS showed some Giro this year, though only half an hour a day. Hope to see some of the Vuelta on here too.

movingtarget said:
As far as I know SBS is showing a daily highlights package and eight live stages in this year's Vuelta.
Wow. After reading this I guess us British eurosport viewers should take a moment to consider what watching cycling without this amazing channel, which broadcasts every stage of every race live (except the classica san sebastian :mad:) might be like. :D

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Wow. After reading this I guess us British eurosport viewers should take a moment to consider what watching cycling without this amazing channel, which broadcasts every stage of every race live (except the classica san sebastian :mad:) might be like. :D

hey man...I was a little poor kid from way up the top of Ireland. Channel 4, 30 minute hightlights was golden. Then my old man picked up some throw away anolouge satelites 2 of them. We wired them and I use to shift them around the yard trying to get RAI in Italy and Germany TV too for Vuelta/Giro etc.(Acutally became very good at it) We couldn't afford normal skyTV. I used to listen to Radio leTour on the old mans big radio all crackingling and fuzzy!!......finally we got Eurosport somehow golden days indeed. Nostalgia listening to the Aussie posters and SBS showings :D Back in the day anologue was so easy to manipulate :D

boardhanger said:
hey man...I was a little poor kid from way up the top of Ireland. Channel 4, 30 minute hightlights was golden. Then my old man picked up some throw away anolouge satelites 2 of them. We wired them and I use to shift them around the yard trying to get RAI in Italy and Germany TV too for Vuelta/Giro etc.(Acutally became very good at it) We couldn't afford normal skyTV. I used to listen to Radio leTour on the old mans big radio all crackingling and fuzzy!!......finally we got Eurosport somehow golden days indeed. Nostalgia listening to the Aussie posters and SBS showings :D Back in the day anologue was so easy to manipulate :D

wow. that is a dedicated cycling fan.

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
wow. that is a dedicated cycling fan.

Unfortunatly that dedecation has weaned somewhat. Now living in USA and too cheap to pay for internet coverage.(heheee) Stuck with Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwin on VersusTV overhere. Stream Eurosport for their commentry still. But its 5 seconds delayed so no good when action heats up. I feel your pain Austraila !!
p.s
It also taught me how to pick up 'em 'hot Swedish and German late nite shows too' which was a side benefit.

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
I'm glad someone has started an sbs tv thread since I've been quite annoyed at cycling centrals appearance. Initial happiness is now immense annoyance that rather than adding to the coverage by adding news features etc.. it seems to have been a cunning way to cut down on the cycling coverage by instead squeezing what would be separate half hour or hour race coverages into a one hour show.

Take the tour of Gippsland.. I've got a 50 minute highlights package from SBS on disc covering last years.. this year 10 minutes blink and you miss two stages squeezed into a one hour cycling central after 3 other events and with a 2 minute news bit right at the end... bad bad bad.

I want my full length highlights back and cycling central sent away!

Oh and sbs tv guide goes up to about the 10th of september on the website and there does not seem to be a vuelta daily highlights either.. not the 8 minutes in the morning or the 30 minute later...

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
hoolaparara said:

Take the tour of Gippsland.. I've got a 50 minute highlights package from SBS on disc covering last years.. this year 10 minutes blink and you miss two stages squeezed into a one hour cycling central after 3 other events and with a 2 minute news bit right at the end... bad bad bad.

I want my full length highlights back and cycling central sent away!

Yup, alot of cycling shows have gone this way. I say keep it old school. Show the racing. Not the interview segments and all that bull. Always trying to pull in new viewers who ain't and won't be loyal viewers anyways. Eurosport got it down. Show the race and even if there is an interview its, only always audio while they show the racing.

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
hoolaparara said:
I'm glad someone has started an sbs tv thread since I've been quite annoyed at cycling centrals appearance. Initial happiness is now immense annoyance that rather than adding to the coverage by adding news features etc.. it seems to have been a cunning way to cut down on the cycling coverage by instead squeezing what would be separate half hour or hour race coverages into a one hour show.

/ snipped

Does Cycling Central incorporate a lot of blathering on by Tomalaris and co?

gregrowlerson said:
It was good that SBS showed some Giro this year, though only half an hour a day. Hope to see some of the Vuelta on here too.

SBS is aussie right? Anyways good to hear you guys get to see this much cycling. Probably about as much as in the Netherlands. Here they don't show the Vuelta or Giro either, except for a few stages.
Except we can also watch belgian television so it's not much of a problem. And if Belgium doesn't show it then there is always a chance Eurosport does:)

Anyways good news. The more people that watch the more a TV station wants to broadcast it.

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Kwibus said:
SBS is aussie right? Anyways good to hear you guys get to see this much cycling. Probably about as much as in the Netherlands. Here they don't show the Vuelta or Giro either, except for a few stages.
Except we can also watch belgian television so it's not much of a problem. And if Belgium doesn't show it then there is always a chance Eurosport does:)

Anyways good news. The more people that watch the more a TV station wants to broadcast it.

Yep. It's going to be a bit confusing for some of us Aussies next year with the new sponsorship and name of Riis's team. :D

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
Spare Tyre said:
Does Cycling Central incorporate a lot of blathering on by Tomalaris and co?

No and to be honests thats the problem. I was seeing it as a plus to the cycling cover but its a negative.. instead of news and tomalaris blathering.

What we have is a loss of the full 30/60 minute highlights that were somewhere in the 10am-2pm block on sundays, they've cut those highlights down to 10 minute blocks with 3 sentence intros from tomalaris and a 3 minute out of date talk about something australian (I haven't watched todays, but the intro was talking up mcewans chances in the world championships!, 6 hours after I'd read a 6 hour old post about mcewans ****ter post)

added.. I juts checked the recording and oh great the european road racing I thought might be one of this weeks races or something.. its the bloody vuelta from last year! And they showed 40 minutes less of the tour of gippsland this year for this!

oh wait they did squeeze 7 minutes of the tour of geelong...

The Hitch said:

But I also get Eurosport as part of my "pay for view" package. Saw the Giro and all of the classics except the Sebastian race. Don't mind paying for quality. SBS is not that bad. They showed daily highlights of the Giro, some of the classics live. TDF live, every stage and also the Tour of California live, every stage. Paris Nice highlights and Dauphine and Tour of Switzerland highlights. As well as track cycling, BMX and mountain bikes. Not bad for a free to air station. Eurosport is currently screening the Eneco Tour and if that is not the most boring stage race of the year, I am no judge. A stupid route with so many crashes that you expect them regularly. The amount of traffic furniture is excessive and dangerous. Surely they could find a more exciting and safer route ?

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
movingtarget said:
They showed daily highlights of the Giro, some of the classics live. TDF live, every stage and also the Tour of California live, every stage. Paris Nice highlights and Dauphine and Tour of Switzerland highlights.

This is the same package that the USA, ITV (UK) and SBS in Austraila all get. Must be the Rupert Murdoch company bought TV rights??

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
Well I've got the green guide which has TV guide till next Thursday and there is no daily coverage of the vuelta in there.. So it looks like the trade off is live stages for no coverage at all in week days (although I wouldn't put it past them to coverage a weeks worth in a 10 minute bit of that cycling central).

Seem to be a lot of sideways movement on cycling coverage from sbs at the moment.

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:

You do know SBS is a government funded national free-to-air public broadcaster, not a sports-specific pay-tv channel don't you?

Even though they are only live broadcasting few stages of the vuelta, they showed every stage of the TDF live, and had delayed broadcasts of a couple of hours of some of the classics, I still think SBS are serving Aussie cycling fans pretty well considering how small a minority group we are. It's more cycling than I remember seeing on free-to-air in the UK, though there was of course the down-side that races seemed to be on in the daytime when I I have better things to do than watch TV (like going to work on weekdays, or riding on the weekend).

TRENDING THREADS