• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Scheldeprijs 2024: 3/4 The least crash-prone big one-day race this week

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Depends on what you base it on. I we took Cavendish of 2011, I think he would have won less these days - the routes have become tougher, and the speeds are higher, so he would have struggled on certain medium stages today.
and it seems no one wants to dedicate an entire tour squad to a leadout train. Fighting for 9th GC is oh so crucial these days. Cav would have half the wins if he didn't have those leadouts

Depends on what you base it on. I we took Cavendish of 2011, I think he would have won less these days - the routes have become tougher, and the speeds are higher, so he would have struggled on certain medium stages today.
In 2009, which I would argue was the most dominant he ever was, Cavendish won Sanremo in a sprint of 50 and a Tour stage with a climb of 14k at 4% at 17k to go in a sprint of 40. Prime Cavendish dealt with hills a lot better than later-career Cavendish and it's been memory-holed to an extent, to the point where people don't realise he would have been one of the favourites for things like the Tour stage Pedersen won last year had he been in his prime right now.

In 2009, which I would argue was the most dominant he ever was, Cavendish won Sanremo in a sprint of 50 and a Tour stage with a climb of 14k at 4% at 17k to go in a sprint of 40. Prime Cavendish dealt with hills a lot better than later-career Cavendish and it's been memory-holed to an extent, to the point where people don't realise he would have been one of the favourites for things like the Tour stage Pedersen won last year had he been in his prime right now.

Also in Giro 2013 won a stage with an hilly last part, also this include a 15 km climb at 4 % that ended at less than 40 km from finish with many others small 4/5 % small climbs in the final

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/giro-d-italia/2013/stage-13/info/profiles