Scheldeprijs v Fleche Wallonne

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which race is the best classic?

  • TDU Classic

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0
Jun 4, 2011
405
0
0
for me it's pretty much the same with modern riding style, it doesn't matter if it is a flat sprint vs an uphill sprint in my opinion because in both case we have a sprint. However i give an edge to the Scheldeprijs because recent years fleche suck so much with respect to the past.
 
Peccio89 said:
for me it's pretty much the same with modern riding style, it doesn't matter if it is a flat sprint vs an uphill sprint in my opinion because in both case we have a sprint. However i give an edge to the Scheldeprijs because recent years fleche suck so much with respect to the past.
FW should consider dropping down to .HC, maybe that can get rid of some of the controlled waiting games.
 
Ferminal said:
Two races with many similarities, hard to split them. I lean towards Scheldeprijs as it's probably more selective in the 30km leading into the sprint.
Huge difference is schieldprijs is just another sprint. There are other sprints just as important or even more important throughout the year.that's why it's meh.

Fw on the other hand is the single most important murito finish in cycling by a mile. We see plenty of them throughout the year in stage races, gts but none are anywhere near as prestigious.

aside from that murito sprint >>>>>>¤ flat sprint.

2 minutes is afterall still far longer than 10 seconds.
 
Libertine Seguros said:
There aren't worse races than Scheldeprijs. That race literally only exists to injure people. You could have a better event by holding a prize draw where the first ten riders whose race numbers are pulled out of a hat get their collarbones snapped, and the remainder then hold a 100 meter drag race.
Best quote I've heard in a while! Everyone at work is staring at me laughing :D

Your proposed alternative would entertaining to see....
 
Christian said:
Mur de Huy is one of the best if not the best finish all year IMHO, I always look forward to it
Me too. Watching the peloton reach the base in full and then slowly the true contenders are sifted from the rest. As someone (the youngest?) stated in this or another thread, it's like the slow-motion sprint championships for the puncheurs of the peloton.
 
Libertine Seguros said:
There aren't worse races than Scheldeprijs. That race literally only exists to injure people. You could have a better event by holding a prize draw where the first ten riders whose race numbers are pulled out of a hat get their collarbones snapped, and the remainder then hold a 100 meter drag race.
LOL!!! I've never taken the time to watch this race but the above comments have certainly heightened my curiousity.:eek:
 
Sep 21, 2009
2,978
0
0
Arnout said:
Fleche, to be honest. I see your point, but the last km is the ultimate steep wall in cycling, despite the best efforts of Unipublic.
No way. Huy has the advantage of being raced every year, but Ezaro >>>> Huy.
 
Libertine Seguros said:
There aren't worse races than Scheldeprijs. That race literally only exists to injure people. You could have a better event by holding a prize draw where the first ten riders whose race numbers are pulled out of a hat get their collarbones snapped, and the remainder then hold a 100 meter drag race.
LOL. Post of the day.
 
kingjr said:
Any of these races is 10 times more interesting than a 50 k solo win at Paris-Roubaix.
I remember those awesome PR solos like it was yesterday:
1994: Andrei Tchmil got chased by Johan Museeuw for 10-15 kilometers hanging at 10-15 seconds in a legendary, muddy edition.
1998: Franco Ballerini crashed only days before in Gent-Wevelgem and Lefevere was afraid Ballerini would not be able to raise his arm when he would have a puncture, but he crushed the whole field in a show of class, power and elegance. The late Ballerini was probably the best cobble rider ever.
2000: Johan Museeuw attacks with 60K to go, 20K later he is on his own. At the finish, he has only 15 seconds advantage.
2002: Another muddy edition in which a lot of drama happens behind Museeuw, who is doing another big solo. Tom Boonen got 3rd.
2010: Cancellara goes all out on Mons-en-Pevele after too many fruitless attacks by Boonen. The chase doesn't get well organized, but in the end, everyone is tired and has to admit that one man was stronger than 10 chasers.
2012: this was pretty boring :)

So in the last 20 years, there were only 6 long solos, and I have to say, some of those were the most memorable editions of PR for most of fellow cycling fans I know. Those are the ones everybody talks about for years...
Please explain why you would ever prefer any Huy or Scheldeprijs above these solos?
 
May 28, 2012
2,779
0
0
Solos aren't everything IMO. In 2010 I turned off my TV when Cancellara dropped Leukemans, and I had the same urge in 2012 during Boonen's show. It's boring to know the winner with more than an hour of racing still left. At least Fleche and Scheldeprijs are guaranteed to have all action packed in the last km's, so you can never be disappointed.
 
Volderke said:
I remember those awesome PR solos like it was yesterday:
1994: Andrei Tchmil got chased by Johan Museeuw for 10-15 kilometers hanging at 10-15 seconds in a legendary, muddy edition.
1998: Franco Ballerini crashed only days before in Gent-Wevelgem and Lefevere was afraid Ballerini would not be able to raise his arm when he would have a puncture, but he crushed the whole field in a show of class, power and elegance. The late Ballerini was probably the best cobble rider ever.
2000: Johan Museeuw attacks with 60K to go, 20K later he is on his own. At the finish, he has only 15 seconds advantage.
2002: Another muddy edition in which a lot of drama happens behind Museeuw, who is doing another big solo. Tom Boonen got 3rd.
2010: Cancellara goes all out on Mons-en-Pevele after too many fruitless attacks by Boonen. The chase doesn't get well organized, but in the end, everyone is tired and has to admit that one man was stronger than 10 chasers.
2012: this was pretty boring :)

So in the last 20 years, there were only 6 long solos, and I have to say, some of those were the most memorable editions of PR for most of fellow cycling fans I know. Those are the ones everybody talks about for years...
Please explain why you would ever prefer any Huy or Scheldeprijs above these solos?
The one where ballerini crashed in G-W was in 1995. He won that race too, after a solo, but he "only" had an advantage of 2' (in 1998 he had more than 4', most impressive ride I ever witnessed)
And in 1999 Andrea tafi won after a long solo too (38km or so)
 
Libertine Seguros said:
There aren't worse races than Scheldeprijs. That race literally only exists to injure people. You could have a better event by holding a prize draw where the first ten riders whose race numbers are pulled out of a hat get their collarbones snapped, and the remainder then hold a 100 meter drag race.
A change of heart, I see. Three weeks ago you wanted to break twice as many collarbones, and make the race ten times longer.
 
kingjr said:
Any of these races is 10 times more interesting than a 50 k solo win at Paris-Roubaix.
Most exciting thing about Scheldeprijs is when riders crash, sadly. It is that boring. So no, a solo attack in Paris Roubaix is way more exciting. Even Boonen's exceptionally dull ride in 2012 is more exciting.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY