• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Schleck doesn't want to win Tour through a possible Contador disqualification

The Hitch said:
Personaly given their strong friendship, previous such cases, and what is wise from a PR standpoint, I didnt expect Schleck to come out and say "ban him already, Im getting tired of waiting for my title"

No, but he could have given a politicians' answer along the lines of "If I were to win a Tour I would prefer to do it on the road and not in the courtroom. I respect Alberto and hope this is a mistake, but if it is not then the UCI will act accordingly" or something. By making it as clear as "For me, Contador will always remain the winner of the 2010 Tour." he is basically saying that whatever the investigation finds, transfusion included, he does not accept he won the Tour. Now if you were clean in his position, would you say that? Of course not, you'd be happy that the cheating bar steward who stole your Tour has been caught.

:rolleyes: (at Schleck, Contador, the UCI, the Spanish federation and the Tour as a whole).

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Roland Rat said:
No, but he could have given a politicians' answer along the lines of "If I were to win a Tour I would prefer to do it on the road and not in the courtroom. I respect Alberto and hope this is a mistake, but if it is not then the UCI will act accordingly" or something. By making it as clear as "For me, Contador will always remain the winner of the 2010 Tour." he is basically saying that whatever the investigation finds, transfusion included, he does not accept he won the Tour. Now if you were clean in his position, would you say that? Of course not, you'd be happy that the cheating bar steward who stole your Tour has been caught.

:rolleyes: (at Schleck, Contador, the UCI, the Spanish federation and the Tour as a whole).

If I were Schleck and riding clean, I would say the same.The race is over and Contador won,if he cheated then ban him.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Roland Rat said:
you'd be happy that the cheating bar steward who stole your Tour has been caught"

"Cheating bar steward !! ", hilarious !!!! Reminds me of the time I was on Fuerteventura a few years ago in an "English bar" & the guy behind the counter who thought I was English instead of Irish when i left a small tip said "Tinks mate".
I didnt consume any contaminated meat when I was there either........

Roland Rat said:

Of course Andy Schleck isnt clean. You dont need to tell me. Im one of these cynical types who believes that all top athletes dope,

And even if i didnt take that view. His brother got caught, then he comes along, beats a bunch of known dopers in the Giro at 22, flies away from everyone in Liege, and is the best climber in the 2010 Tour de doping.

Im just saying this is pretty much what i expected. Contador is still a friend of his no?

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Roland Rat said:

I would absolutely say that.

Andy thinks he's going to win a Tour anyway... he's not a Periero who's only chance is a disqualification. He wants to win it on the road.

I've won swimming events through disqualification before. It's not all that fun... you don't feel like you actually won. I tended to feel sheepish about those victories.

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
If you didn't stand on the top podium in Paris with the Yellow jersey on, even IF you are given the title later, you've missed out on the real payment....the thrill of victory and the satisfaction of looking down on the crowd cheering for you.

It just ain't the same to not experience that.

Old School said:
If you didn't stand on the top podium in Paris with the Yellow jersey on, even IF you are given the title later, you've missed out on the real payment....the thrill of victory and the satisfaction of looking down on the crowd cheering for you.

It just ain't the same to not experience that.

Yes, I understand that, but he didn't say "I will never feel like the winner of... ", which would be understandable, he said "Contador will always be the winner of...".

Big difference.

i'm with mr rat on this one
he didn't say, "yeah, it's disappointing to win this way, and I'd rather have stood at the top of the podium in july, but if he's cheated then that's the way it goes..."
complete tosh from schlecklet

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Roland Rat said:
No, but he could have given a politicians' answer along the lines of "If I were to win a Tour I would prefer to do it on the road and not in the courtroom.

Isn't that pretty much what he said?

"This way doesn't do it for me. My name may later be in the record books [as winner] but I will not have experienced the joy. I want to win the Tour on the road."

It's only the following sentence:

"For me, Contador will always remain the winner of the 2010 Tour."

that's a little bit strange.

Is it a sign that he thinks that finishing first is winning... end of story? Or is it just him saying that there can't be another true winner? Or is it just a mistranslation or his poor English?

(Or whatever language Schleck talks to Dutch newspapers in.)

Steve

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Archibald said:
i'm with mr rat on this one
he didn't say, "yeah, it's disappointing to win this way, and I'd rather have stood at the top of the podium in july, but if he's cheated then that's the way it goes..."
complete tosh from schlecklet

Schleck has said that he believes Contador when he says that he got it from meat but that it wasn't up to him to decide anything and he was no doctor so now he had to wait for the authoreties' conclution.

If he believes That Contador didn't cheat he wouldn't say like you would want him to. He just lets Contador get the benefit of doubt. He doesn't judge anyone before they are proved guilty. I don't think Andy Schleck sees a contimidated beef as cheating.

He doesn't need to say that cheaters gets banned and thats how it goes. Everybody with a little reason knows that. He accepts that he will stand as the winner in the history books but it will never feel right to him because of the circumstances. Really that is what he is saying.

He knows he will win the tour one year and therefore he is no hurry to get an victory like this.

And: He doesn't want to win the tour afterwards because he feels guilty but when he is at the startline there is no problem? I don't get that people thinks like that.
Ridicoulus because: You get the victory because the one who beat you was doped. Then you should feel guilty about what: that he got caught and you didn't?
Where as when you actually go to the startline doped you beat honest men by cheating.

Where would you be most guilty? I would be in the last sceneario. And Andy Schleck didn't seem to feel to guilty doing the tour to me.

If he were clean, you'd think Andy would be angry because Contador stole that joy from him. Without that cheater, Andy the Clean would have enjoyed the glory, the Champs-Élysées, the final podium, etc etc. Sure, they're friends (or at least they put up a façade of being friends), so he would have bitten his tongue a little, but he still bit his tongue after Chaingate and his anger still showed. And it's not like we haven't seen this countless times before. So yeah.

Also I very much doubt Andy or anyone else in the peloton actually believes the steak story.

Also two, you seem to think dopers feel guilty. They don't. Dopers see it as being part of the game. Listen to Landis, Riis, Jaksche or just about anyone who has talked about it.

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Dalakhani said:
Isn't that pretty much what he said?

"This way doesn't do it for me. My name may later be in the record books [as winner] but I will not have experienced the joy. I want to win the Tour on the road."

It's only the following sentence:

"For me, Contador will always remain the winner of the 2010 Tour."

that's a little bit strange.

Is it a sign that he thinks that finishing first is winning... end of story? Or is it just him saying that there can't be another true winner? Or is it just a mistranslation or his poor English?

(Or whatever language Schleck talks to Dutch newspapers in.)

Steve

He has said many other times that for him he will allways be second. I think it's the same he wants to say with the last one of Contador allways being the winner. And that actually is the same he says in "This way .... "

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
If he were clean, you'd think Andy would be angry because Contador stole that joy from him. Without that cheater, Andy the Clean would have enjoyed the glory, the Champs-Élysées, the final podium, etc etc. Sure, they're friends (or at least they put up a façade of being friends), so he would have bitten his tongue a little, but he still bit his tongue after Chaingate and his anger still showed. And it's not like we haven't seen this countless times before. So yeah.

Also I very much doubt Andy or anyone else in the peloton actually believes the steak story.

Also two, you seem to think dopers feel guilty. They don't. Dopers see it as being part of the game. Listen to Landis, Riis, Jaksche or just about anyone who has talked about it.

He has other reasons to be mad at Contador for the moment. New thing has shown up about Contadors excuse after stage 15 (Riis asked him to do it). But he doesn't talk about that either. He forgave Contador after stage 15 completly. For a couple of days ago he repeated that and added "But I have not forgotten".

Holm was doped to and has admitted that he thought like all the dopers you mention. But he has seen the atitude change with the new generation.

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
trying to read anything into a translation of what he said is highly dubious.

and remember there is a further complication in this case that even if Contador is banned for life, aspects of the case are likely to remain a mystery, so the case will always be the subject of speculation. being awarded the title under those circ.s would always be hollow.

as an aside, i have never seen an elite athlete so happy to come second as Schleck. he just doesn't seem bothered at all. it wouldn't surprise me if he managed to never win the tour. this statement just seems like an extension of that persona.

I'm with Kimmage on this one: An athlete like ASchleck whose preparation/training is exclusively to win the Tour, does somehow find "conflictive" the fact that he finished second to his nemesis who has tested positive.......:confused:WTF?
he's simply as rotten as Contador....

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
hfer07 said:
I'm with Kimmage on this one: An athlete like ASchleck whose preparation/training is exclusively to win the Tour, does somehow find "conflictive" the fact that he finished second to his nemesis who has tested positive.......:confused:WTF?
he's simply as rotten as Contador....

that's not what he said, check the video, there he can't be misquoted. He says he didn't win the Tour on the road. and is dissapointed in that view

Michielveedeebee said:
that's not what he said, check the video, there he can't be misquoted. He says he didn't win the Tour on the road. and is dissapointed in that view

perhaps Andy didn't win the tour on the road due to the "doping advantage" of his counterpart....?
Andy's words sound as lame as AC's excuse of meat contamination--both are dopers & he's just making a lame statement to divert the fact that he's suspicions as well, since the differences between them were small.

TRENDING THREADS