• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Schlecks to found new team?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Fidolix

BANNED
Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
I hope Jakob won't make the same mistake twice..

Honestly, I don´t think I would like to see Fuglsang back with Riis!

He expects to be captain in a gc, but what have he shown to earn this privileged?

Fidolix said:

He expects to be captain in a gc, but what have he shown to earn this privileged?

He has the most well groomed eyebrows in the peleton... Well mayby thats not the strongest argument.

There was that 3'rd in swiss and something in slovenia but thats about it. But he has talent, he was a WC MB.

Hence the ugly tattoo.

A

Anonymous

New teams typically don't do much their first year. GreenEdge is a bit of an exception... But the groundwork for the team was being worked on for over a year before they ever lined up for a race.

The Schlecks need to be careful. They are getting to an age where they can't afford to throw away another year or two. I think they could both find a spot in a couple of different teams that need what they can do.

Quickstep has a GC guy now for the first time in a long time... But how many more years will Levi be around?

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
It's a good thing in a way. It's clear that, in order to get any serious work done, these (awesome) riders need to get rid of both JB/Armstrong and Becca. And get better jerseys.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
New teams typically don't do much their first year. GreenEdge is a bit of an exception... But the groundwork for the team was being worked on for over a year before they ever lined up for a race.

The Schlecks need to be careful. They are getting to an age where they can't afford to throw away another year or two. I think they could both find a spot in a couple of different teams that need what they can do.

Quickstep has a GC guy now for the first time in a long time... But how many more years will Levi be around?

Agree with this, instead of forming another new team they should either stay on Radioshack or go to an existing team. Going to a entirely new team when one doesn't work out isn't the way to win the tour.

Fidolix said:

Fugslang is overrated as a gc rider, he was given gc lead in the vuelta last year and ended up 11th while teammate Maxime Monfort ended up 6th. He should stick to smaller tours imho.

T-Nielsen said:
4 teams in 4 years. They are turning into journeymen.

3 teams actually.

Afrank said:
Agree with this, instead of forming another new team they should either stay on Radioshack or go to an existing team. Going to a entirely new team when one doesn't work out isn't the way to win the tour.

Fugslang is overrated as a gc rider, he was given gc lead in the vuelta last year and ended up 11th while teammate Maxime Monfort ended up 6th. He should stick to smaller tours imho.

3 teams actually.

I consider Leo-Trek and RSNT for 2 teams, but if you count them as 1 I can't argue. :)

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
So what do you think about this new team? Do you think it is a good idea?

I can't think anything certain so far because of too little info. But they obviously feel more comfortably working with Andersen. It's a key factor. My optimism in point of Andy is limitless though, as you might notice. ;)

Fidolix

BANNED
Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
T-Nielsen said:
He has the most well groomed eyebrows in the peleton... Well mayby thats not the strongest argument.

There was that 3'rd in swiss and something in slovenia but thats about it. But he has talent, he was a WC MB.

Hence the ugly tattoo.

GC= Grand tour Nielsen, it´s entirely different than racing 1 week races.
And he dosen´t get younger, this year should have been the year he showed his potential, no doubt he got talent and can possible improve still, but time is running and he haven´t showed anything in a GC so far, other than being dropped on the steepest climbs. My point is, his conditions for a new contract (being a gc captain) isn´t really justified compared to his past gc results, I think his own ambitions overmatch his real potential.

Fidolix said:
GC= Grand tour Nielsen, it´s entirely different than racing 1 week races.
And he dosen´t get younger, this year should have been the year he showed his potential, no doubt he got talent and can possible improve still, but time is running and he haven´t showed anything in a GC so far, other than being dropped on the steepest climbs. My point is, his conditions for a new contract (being a gc captain) isn´t really justified compared to his past gc results, I think his own ambitions overmatch his real potential.

GT is grand tour, GC is general classification or something like that ;)

Fidolix

BANNED
Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
GT is grand tour, GC is general classification or something like that ;)

lol yeah my mistake flo, ofc I mean GT. I better not multitask when debating in a public fora... ;) thanks for the correction.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
What I don't get is the drones and move with them (Schlecks) aren't they sick of this team jumping each year? I can see it if the money is that good but even after a while they may be better off on a more solid team than jumping ships each year. Fabian needs to go to a solid Classics team and say good bye to this patty cake bandwagon I don't see it working out for him with yet another new formation for next year. The Schleks are just sealing their fate as Tour hopefuls and not Tour winners if they continue on with this ship jumping fiasco, I mean if they were moving to a new team full of support riders at their disposal I could see it but taking their band of buddies which lack the full complement to achieve the goal, well its not going to happen.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Seriously they can't keep changing teams forever. You need to settle down for a moment.. Changing every year is not going to improve their chances of winning Teh One Race.

I think 'seriously' and 'Schleck' at this juncture is an oxymoron. Maybe they'll eventually understand.

TRENDING THREADS