• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Scott RC vs Scott R15

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys first time post, long time lurker.

Im after some advice on two bikes I can’t make a reasonable decision on.

The Scott RC is a crazy light bike that just excited every part of me except my wallet. Its $8k and the reason are because of the HTX carbon being stiffer and lighter. I have a test ride booked in on Tuesday but I am after a bike that will good for Australian roads, but I also want a bike for riding in the hills. Also this bike comes with DA 7900

My other bike I went ot check out is the Scott R15 - still really light and I get to ride this bike straight after the RC. I only get 10 mins on both bikes and there a no hills around the test area. My wallet says this bike is a far more sensible choice as it still has top components (Sram Red), and its HMF carbon and is $5k.

My question is, will I notice the difference in the carbon frames. The bike store thinks that the RC just has that little bit extra kick to it when you really go hard, say in a crit or a hill attack. Its another $3k more expensive for the RC and its only 300grams lighter. That’s a whole other bike or a better set of really light wheels.

I am 72kg and 186cm and hills and multi stage races is what I want it for.

Has anybody rode both or own one or who has the exact same questions that I did?

Feel free to also add other suggested bikes, my wish list also has Cervelo R3, Tarmac SL3 Pro, BMC Team machine, Trek madone 6.7 and Giant Advanced SL0 Rabobank

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
jwallis said:
My question is, will I notice the difference in the carbon frames. The bike store thinks that the RC just has that little bit extra kick to it when you really go hard, say in a crit or a hill attack. Its another $3k more expensive for the RC and its only 300grams lighter. That’s a whole other bike or a better set of really light wheels.

It seems unlikely that the $8000 bike could perform that much better than the other, especially when the other is $5000. Do you think it's possible for 300 grams to mean that much? Maybe the $8000 bike has got better wheels or something to explain the huge price difference. Or is it all in the frame 'technology':rolleyes:?

I'd cost out the two bike builds and then see what the R15 frame would be worth built to the same spec as the RC. Then you'll know what extra your really paying for the RC. If that makes sense.

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Scott Addict RC $8000
Frame: Scott Addict HMX NET IMP Carbon
Forks: Scott Addict HMX NET 1 1/8in Carbone Steerer Integrated
Front Derail: Shimano Dura-Ace 7900
Rear Derail: Shimano Dura-Ace 7900
Gear Levers: Shimano Dura-Ace 7900 STI Shifter 10spd
Brake Levers: Shimano Dura-Ace 7900
Brakes: Shimano Dura-Ace 7900 Alloy Dual Pivot
Cranks: Shimano Dura-Ace 7900 39/53T Integrated
B/Bracket: Shimano BB-91 Press-Fit Cartridge
Hubs: Mavic Ksyrium SL Wheelset
Rims: Mavic Ksyrium SL Wheelset
Spokes: Mavic Ksyrium SL Wheelset
Tyres: Continental GP-4000S 700x23C
Free Wheel: Shimano Dura-Ace 7900 11-25T 10spd
Handlebars: Ritchey WCS Logic Curve 31.8mm
Stem: Ritchey WCS 4 AXIS Matrix Carbon OS 1-1/8in Four Bolt
S/Pillar: Ritchey Carbon Superlogic 31.6mm
Saddle: Fi'zi:k Arione CX/ Kium Rail
Chain: Shimano Dura-Ace 7900

Scott Addict R15 $5000
Frame: Scott Addict HMF NET IMP Carbon
Forks: Scott Addict HMF NET 1 1/8in Carbone Steerer Integrated
Front Derail: SRAM Red
Rear Derail: SRAM Red
Gear Levers: SRAM Red Double Tap
Brake Levers: SRAM Red
Brakes: SRAM Red Dual Pivot Caliper
Cranks: SRAM Red Integrated 39/53T
B/Bracket: SRAM Red Integrated Cartridge
Hubs: Mavic Ksyrium Elite Wheelset
Rims: Mavic Ksyrium Elite Wheelset
Spokes: Mavic Ksyrium Elite Wheelset
Tyres: Continental Ultra Race 700x23C
Free Wheel: Shimano Ultegra 6700 11-25T 10spd
Handlebars: Ritchey WCS Logic Curve TRX 50 31.8mm
Stem: Ritchey WCS 4 AXIS OS 1-1/8in Four Bolt
S/Pillar: Ritchey Carbon Pro 31.6mm
Saddle: Scott Road Pro SL
Chain: Shimano Ultegra 6600

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
bc_hills said:
It seems unlikely that the $8000 bike could perform that much better than the other, especially when the other is $5000. Do you think it's possible for 300 grams to mean that much? Maybe the $8000 bike has got better wheels or something to explain the huge price difference. Or is it all in the frame 'technology':rolleyes:?

I'd cost out the two bike builds and then see what the R15 frame would be worth built to the same spec as the RC. Then you'll know what extra your really paying for the RC. If that makes sense.

Ditto to what bc_hills said, you are not going to tell any difference between these two bikes other than one wallet will be heavier than the other. I have two Scott CR-1's and according to the frame spec's my "Limited" version is supposed to be lighter than my "Team". I can not tell at all & surprisingly, I like the "Team" frameset better which has slight geometry differences between the two. Save your money, really.

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
What everyone else said. For $3000, you can get some wheels that will save you 300g or more off the Ksyrium Elites, and still have enough left over to cover yourself head-to-toe in Assos and keep yourself in chains and lube for years.

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Well had ride tonight of 2 bikes and my god the Scott RC was ones of those experiences I am still trying to work out.

It is so stiff, yet very comfy, the front end was fast and light, and it picks up speed so quick. I bashed it over Railways and those trendy cobble sections councils put in those 1 way streets. The bike tracks straight and never lost its line. Diving into corners and around round -a- bouts was lightning quick and no skipping or rear end chatter.

The R2 was the ride i got to compare it too (same frame as R15, only ultegra) The bike did weight 800g more and had a cheaper set of wheels (Elites). The bike seemed a little harsher then the RC but that could all be the wheels. Both rides where awesome but I feel I might have loved the RC more.

Does it equate to another $3K, well I would have to say that they felt like two complete different bikes. Still $3k is $3k and I can find them a lot cheaper online, but I really want to support a local store and build that relationship with my LBS.

What do you think, would the wheels and weight make such a difference in the way the bike felt?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Yyes, for about $2k you can buy a good set of quality carbon tubulars that will redefine your concept of ride, (on the net not LBS)

There will be a few other parts that will have a disproportionate effect on upgrade Example: an omni cassette and kmc chain would save 200g or more over Ultegra and only costs $300

Also consider that DA is heavier than Red, but is much better in service, although when it wears you get something else and there is a lot of something else available for the price difference, like the Omni and KMCabove

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Wheels, rubber and tire pressure would make a huge difference whether individually or collectively. Good rubber alone will change a ride.

I don't think your test ride has left you comparing frame to frame, if that's what you were after.

Good luck... Just as an aside, what drives your loyalty to this particular LBS?

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
The loyalty is based on everytime I have been to this store they are always super friendly and give great customer service, they even told me to go to a chemist to buy some orthotics for my cycling shoes, instead of the bg fit ones which where going to cost me $80. Yes, they actually talk me out of a sale for them.

You are all right in what you where saying, and I believe a lot was down to the wheels and maybe a little extra weight, so naturally the RC was always going to feel better.

I need to jump on a lot more bikes still. Cervelo and Specialized in particular.

The worst part in all of this is all bikes are cheaper from the US, even after GST and the other bit of money.

TRENDING THREADS