• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sean Kelly's 1988 Vuelta win

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I have always been intereted in Kelly's win in the 1988 Vuelta, because even though he started out as a sprinter, he could obviously climb as well (like winning Liege, Paris-Nice 7 times etc.). I know he has been described as an 'all-rounder', but you have to climb pretty darn well to win a GT and win by 1min 27.

So what do people know about the race? Was the course not that hard in terms of mountains or was the field not that strong and indeed how good to the point was Kelly as a rider? I know he is an all-time great, but he raced really before my time so I could hardly have watched him race (I wasn't yet 3 years old when he won the Vuelta). Would any riders in the today's peloton have similar attributes as Kelly?

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
He was a bit like Jalabert. JaJa started out as a pure sprinter but then as these guys get older they don't have the speed but they still have the big engine. Jaja went on to win the polka dot jersey in the 1995 Vuelta but in 1994 he won the points jersey.
Like Jalabert, Kelly was a very good all rounder and I think they where both unlucky not to win a GT.

ukpaul said:
He was a bit like Jalabert. JaJa started out as a pure sprinter but then as these guys get older they don't have the speed but they still have the big engine. Jaja went on to win the polka dot jersey in the 1995 Vuelta but in 1994 he won the points jersey.
Like Jalabert, Kelly was a very good all rounder and
I think they where both unlucky not to win a GT.

one of them did.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
ukpaul said:
D'oh . Oh yeah sorry about that. Too much sun today.:D

Shame his GT win was the Vuelta and not the Tour.

Hey you. La VUELTA is a nice race. and very old. Merck . ANqutil Hinault Zulle Jalabert Contador and so many more rider has spoken very well about this rice. Dont says nonsenses

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
I 'd dont mean it in a bad way Albertino. The Vuelta is a fantastic race. But you have to agree with me that it would of been much better for both riders if they had won the TDF.
How many non - cycling fans ever hear about who won the Giro or Vuelta or even the Worlds?

In 1897 Sean was winning the Vuelta, all the mountain stages were over, and with four days to go, victory was assured. But he dropped out. Why? Boils that had become first infected, then bleeding. Considering how tough Sean was, this really says something. (Yes, I would have given up long before that too).

In 1988 he came back and won it, but didn't assure victory until the final TT. He won the sprinter's jersey on the first stage and held it until the end.

Keep one thing in mind - back in the 1980s we used to see more attacks and more breaks succeed than we do now. Sean would make up times on stages that were not only the mountains or TT's. He'd find days that had tough, rolling terrain, and attack 30k form the finish.

In the 1995 Vuelta JaJa won all three jerseys and a whopping seven stages! He even gave another stage away to Bert Dietz who had been on a 100km breakaway. Jalabert caught him 2k from the finish at the Sierra Nevada ski station, and instead of easily dropping him, he worked with him to the end and allowed Bert to win.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
In 1897 Sean was winning the Vuelta, all the mountain stages were over, and with four days to go, victory was assured. But he dropped out. Why? Boils that had become first infected, then bleeding. Considering how tough Sean was, this really says something. (Yes, I would have given up long before that too).

In 1988 he came back and won it, but didn't assure victory until the final TT. He won the sprinter's jersey on the first stage and held it until the end.

Brings a whole new meaning to "century rider" :D

...sorry, couldn't resist :eek:

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Edwald Boasson Hagen is the pure all-rounder of today;)

Sprinter, climber, time-trialler. classics rider:cool:...looking forward to his carrer:rolleyes:

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
schadenfreude said:
ukpaul said:
Like Jalabert, Kelly was a very good all rounder and I think they where both unlucky not to win a GT.
one of them did.

both of them did :)

A

Anonymous

issoisso said:
both of them did :)

one of them even swept the board in jerseys.. :D

this thread is going to pot, jalabert and kelly not winning grand tours, kelly racing in the 19th century...

we need an editor..

May 1, 2009
Visit site
ukpaul said:
How many non - cycling fans ever hear about who won the Giro or Vuelta or even the Worlds?

How many non-Americans you mean. The Giro and Vuelta are followed pretty healthily in Europe.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Buffalo Soldier said:
Freddy Maertens, also a sprinter, won the Vuelta in 1977 (winning 13 of the 19 stages!!)

IIRC I read something a year ago and it said the course wasn't that hard and there wasn't a big field that took part.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Yes the greeness of spain... They should do a stage out on the cannary islands, Tenerife finishing climb... LOL. Certainly a great place for the riders to stay and race. 2-3 stages out there I say.

Tenerife%20South%20Inland.jpg