• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Seat bags: What do you keep in yours?

After seeing the seat bag recommendation thread, I was going to respond until I saw the size wanted - I use much smaller.

Question is, what do you keep in your seat bag?
I've seen some of the larger ones about and have always wondered what extra stuff people keep in them.

All three of my bikes: SS commuter, Roadie and MTB have the same in each -
spare innertube
tyre levers
the small park tool stick-on patches
half a park tool tyre boot
disc brake separator (mtb only)

all in a micro pouch by deuter and the micro topeak (mtb)
deuter-32658-med.jpg
ACB0610522.jpg

So, whatcha got?

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
As a Youth I believe I will never puncture or have any difficult whilst riding. So Nothing. Also because I live in one of the most polluted cities in the world I do most of my training on one of these babies:

TR307D00_____700C.jpg

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I almost got stranded once when I lost my bike bag along the way, now I keep necessary stuff in a belt-pouch on my person- cell phone, some cash, a bit of id, allen keys,a small chain breaker tool, small philips, micropump, inflator, co2 cartridges, glue on patch kit, tire boot, 2 tire flips, small cotton handkerchief, and last year I added 2 bandages to the mix after I had to deal with joggers nipple for a few hours on the way back from a long ride. I keep at least 2 spare tubes in my jersey back pocket.

It may seem like a lot- but it beats having to walk back.

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
2 tubes!! and patch kit (ever done a ride and gotten 4 flats? I've even packed tubes into a tire to make it easier to ride the flat for miles)

co2 is nice but a pump never runs out of air

cash (dollar bills are awesome boots and you might need a sugar rush to get home)

allen keys, spoke wrench, chain tool (combo tool)

who to notify in case of emergency (the most important thing in the whole kit!! keep it in a ziplock baggy so it stays dry! should have your name, Id number, copy of insurance card, and a few contacts that can answer their phones during the day)

I keep my cell phone in my pocket

I rode with a friend who kept a condom in his bag: "It's safe to be prepared." I don't think he ever used it but I agree with his point. You can't use what you don't have.

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I used to carry an inflator, but now I take a pump instead - it is more reliable.

Extra tube, patch kid, $5 bill, couple of rubber bands, extra chain link, tire levers, and small toolkit.

I do not have a seat bag, instead I use my back pockets.

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
J Kanski said:
I used to carry an inflator, but now I take a pump instead - it is more reliable.

Extra tube, patch kid, $5 bill, couple of rubber bands, extra chain link, tire levers, and small toolkit.

I do not have a seat bag, instead I use my back pockets.

never understood that one ... fashion statement?

ed rader

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
Depends...

Out for a ride, tube, pump (tiny topeak), and mini-tool. Throw mobile and $20 in jersey pockets. I use a little continental tube bag for that. Of course, there was a hole in my spare tube the other week (living in the tropics rubber breaks down and this tube had been in the pouch for over a year) so I walked 10 blocks to a bike shop on my way home.

Daily to work, keys, wallet, phone, mini tool, spare sunglass lenses, USB memory stick, whatever else I think of that day (today I had mail shoved in). I keep clothing at work and eat lunch out. I have about a 75 cubic inch bag for that. Prior to having a child seat on the back every morning (not really a seat bag, but I keep an almost 3 year old in that) I usually carried a panier with my clothes in it and often a laptop.

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
No, I think Laszlo's fanny pack is more of a fashion statement, or faux pas:D, than keeping your supplies in your jersey pockets.

you can't "keep" your supplies in your jersey pocket unless you wear the same jersey every day. so really you must load and unload your jersey whenever you change jerseys. maybe it's an aging thing but K.I.S.S. works much better for me, and i'd really rather have the bike carry my kit.

it does look cool to have a mini-pump poking out of a jersey pocket tho if that matters to you :cool:.

ed rader

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
erader said:
you can't "keep" your supplies in your jersey pocket unless you wear the same jersey every day. so really you must load and unload your jersey whenever you change jerseys. maybe it's an aging thing but K.I.S.S. works much better for me, and i'd really rather have the bike carry my kit.

it does look cool to have a mini-pump poking out of a jersey pocket tho if that matters to you :cool:.

ed rader

Not really big on semantics, especially on a topic like this. I don't wear tools and spare parts, have a saddle bag for that, but I do keep food and gels in my pockets. I know plenty of people who refuse to strap bags to their bikes, so... whatever works for you I guess.;)

Those pockets are on your back for a reason, to carry stuff.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I have the smallest saddle bag I could find (Scicon Phantom 230) and in this I wrap an inner tube around a CO2 cartridge, CO2 pump, two tire levers, a mini-multi tool, and a puncture kit.

I carry food, phone, minipump and, if required, rain jacket and camera in my jersey pockets.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
i keep a spare tube, tyre levers, allen key set, glue, patches & glue less patches in the saddle bag on the commute bike. the pump is mounted to frame on that bike, and in my back pack i always carry a bit of cash, credit card and id.

on weekend rides that stuff sits in my back pocket coz I haven't got around to buying a nice saddle bag for the 'good' bike....unless i borrow the wives saddle bag which has straps compared to mine with the a clip.

ravens

BANNED
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Big GMaC said:
As a Youth I believe I will never puncture or have any difficult whilst riding. So Nothing. Also because I live in one of the most polluted cities in the world I do most of my training on one of these babies:

TR307D00_____700C.jpg

so what do you need a bag for?

ravens

BANNED
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I'll have to take it off the bike when I get home...

is there a limit to how long a list can be entered in one forum reply?

Like me, my bag is massive, and stuffed with food and powder to make 'food' (calories). It's a vicious cycle, I need to slow down and burn more fat. But it's hard to go any slower.

One thing I know my bag can do is expand (via a zipper) so I can stuff a windbreaker in it. I think I have used that feature twice in 4 years.

ravens said:
is there a limit to how long a list can be entered in one forum reply?

Like me, my bag is massive, and stuffed with food and powder to make 'food' (calories). It's a vicious cycle, I need to slow down and burn more fat. But it's hard to go any slower.

One thing I know my bag can do is expand (via a zipper) so I can stuff a windbreaker in it. I think I have used that feature twice in 4 years.

you need to go fast on some group rides. get that heart rate up. going slow is for old men like me. attack the hills in your area. hard work takes the pounds
off. "ride lots" or even a little, but hammer your intervals and then go slow, and repeat as needed. and watch the calories.:)

A

Anonymous

ravens said:
so what do you need a bag for?

I think he said he doesn't carry a bag.

As for me... I generally carry a spare tube, Co2 pump and extra cartridge, allen wrenches, tire lever, tire boot, tube patches, cell, key, ID, Debit card, insurance card, an extra gel or small energy bar and a bill or two.

I had a military father so I have a tendency to overpack "cuz ya never know!". I need to change that, especially for simple training rides. Although I can probably only get rid of the tube and stick the cell and food in my back pocket.

I'd carry my manual air pump in my back pocket but I'm afraid it'll fall out, even though I see tons of people doing it.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
If I'm doing rides locally, I keep it simple and put everything in my jersey pocket: I keep it in a ziploc to keep it protected anyway, so it doesn't involve much loading or unloading. I also leave spare truck keys with family or friends, so they can come get should I be stranded; it's easy to throw my bike in the back of my own truck rather than trying to fit in their car or SUV. They also know where I'm riding, with whom, how far, and about how long I should be gone. That's just as important as an ID card.

Riding out of town is a different story. I have a saddle bag with the same ziploc as local rides, but I also add an extra master link, a couple more C02 canisters, more tubes, and maybe $20 instead of $5. If I have room I'll add some weed, rolling papers and other paraphernalia. Candy bars, food stuffs, and prefilled EPO syringes go in my jersey pockets for easy access while riding.

Small and simple. Crank Brothers M-19 Tool (this thing has everything in a small flask), Spare tube, one tire lever, Park tire boot, Park stick on patches. No C02, a small Lenze pump never runs out of air and will push 120 psi.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I want to add that I once had a minipump that I carried for perhaps a year or more disintgrate on me when I tried it once- I don't trust those things and they are too much work in the middle of a long ride- my legs sieze up with lactic and it's hard enough to get going again.

I also would like to add a pen and a piece of paper is great to carry too- you never know when you have an idea en route or some other need. A saddlebag or pouch is better than carrying it in a jersey or jacket, you never know when it could explode or pierce you should something happen (that hasn't happened to me though).

ravens

BANNED
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Laszlo said:
I want to add that I once had a minipump that I carried for perhaps a year or more disintgrate on me when I tried it once- I don't trust those things and they are too much work in the middle of a long ride- my legs sieze up with lactic and it's hard enough to get going again.

I also would like to add a pen and a piece of paper is great to carry too- you never know when you have an idea en route or some other need. A saddlebag or pouch is better than carrying it in a jersey or jacket, you never know when it could explode or pierce you should something happen (that hasn't happened to me though).

I used to have a pen, don't know where it went.

I have had a pump AND a CO2 kit disintegrate when they were finally called into active duty. I took my bag off the bike yesterday to adjust the saddle and this is what I saw:

A baggie with:
toilet paper
A couple of dollar bills
1 triple A battery (mp3 player)
2AA batteries (blinkie)
2 tire levers
some black zip ties
a tube
(the patch kit is gone, to where I don't know)
A spanner for my brooks saddle
a balance bar of unknown vintage, but i dont think they make that flavor any longer
A plastic spoon, the powder drink mix is god knows where
Black Rubber o-rings for my minewt x2 light

but

no

mini-tool !

(I put one in there when I discovered it missing, but I miss my old one, DAMN!)

ravens

BANNED
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Laszlo said:

I used to have a pen, don't know where it went.

I have had a pump AND a CO2 kit disintegrate when they were finally called into active duty. I took my bag off the bike yesterday to adjust the saddle and this is what I saw:

A baggie with:
toilet paper
A couple of dollar bills
1 triple A battery (mp3 player)
2AA batteries (blinkie)

Also in the seat bag:

2 tire levers
some black zip ties
a tube
(the patch kit is gone, to where I don't know)
A spanner for my brooks saddle
a balance bar of unknown vintage, but i dont think they make that flavor any longer
A plastic spoon, the powder drink mix is god knows where
Black Rubber o-rings for my minewt x2 light

but

no

mini-tool !

(I put one in there when I discovered it missing, but I miss my old one, DAMN!)

ravens

BANNED
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
usedtobefast said:
you need to go fast on some group rides. get that heart rate up. going slow is for old men like me. attack the hills in your area. hard work takes the pounds
off. "ride lots" or even a little, but hammer your intervals and then go slow, and repeat as needed. and watch the calories.:)

Thanks for the pointers. Believe me dude, I know what it takes to get fast, I was quite a bit faster and smaller 2 summers ago. I have done enough training to know how it all works. My problem is between my ears which leads to the indirect problem around my waist.

TRENDING THREADS