• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sebastian Salas finally suspended

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Salas' sample was too diluted to test....twice. As soon as he was called to doping control he disappeared for close to 2 hours. Did not answer his phone, etc.

The question is where does a small time Canadian/Colombian guy learn about doping? Maybe from his friends?

BeeJkYjCQAAM9UZ.jpg

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
OK, what do we know or presume about this Rigoberto Uran guy and his connection to Salas?

To Ripper's comment, yes I agree, I think Salas took the ban instead of proceeding with arbitration because his excuse for his behaviour regarding the doping control would not have withstood the light of day, and additional details would have come out unfavourable to him. Now he can claim innocence and it was complicated because we know only a little. Sunshine is a good disinfectant. Too bad he did not follow through and fight the ban and then maybe we could have seen all of it, either in his favour or against him.

cathulu said:
OK, what do we know or presume about this Rigoberto Uran guy and his connection to Salas?.

I posted a link to a story about reporting the possibility of doping in Colombia http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=12910&page=19

2013(???) we had multiple EPO positives from Louis Garneau's amateur squad in Canada. Louis and Steve Bauer declared that was the beginning and end of it.

At minimum, the use of EPO is well known now. It's definitely not leading edge doping.

DirtyWorks said:
Are Steve Bauer and Louis Garneau going to sweep this one under the carpet like the last EPO positives?

DirtyWorks said:
2013(???) we had multiple EPO positives from Louis Garneau's amateur squad in Canada. Louis and Steve Bauer declared that was the beginning and end of it.

This is the second time you've brought up LG and Bauer. This isn't to say anything about what riders under Bauer or LG are or aren't doing these days, but I'm failing to see how they have anything to do with Salas' case, or why they would be trying to "sweep this one under the carpet" when it has nothing to do with them aside from the subject of interest being a rider from the same country.

Ripper said:
Benotti69 said:
BeeJkYjCQAAM9UZ.jpg

Wonder why Sky hired a certain Canadian that rode for an American team.........:rolleyes:
^^ This ^^

^^ This ^^ *2

cathulu said:
OK, what do we know or presume about this Rigoberto Uran guy and his connection to Salas?

To Ripper's comment, yes I agree, I think Salas took the ban instead of proceeding with arbitration because his excuse for his behaviour regarding the doping control would not have withstood the light of day, and additional details would have come out unfavourable to him. Now he can claim innocence and it was complicated because we know only a little. Sunshine is a good disinfectant. Too bad he did not follow through and fight the ban and then maybe we could have seen all of it, either in his favour or against him.

Yes, too bad.

However dumb what he did was (and it sounds incredibly stupid), even he apparently isn't so dumb to have what he did fully exposed.

Dave.

Weapons of @ss Destruction said:
This is the second time you've brought up LG and Bauer. This isn't to say anything about what riders under Bauer or LG are or aren't doing these days, but I'm failing to see how they have anything to do with Salas' case, or why they would be trying to "sweep this one under the carpet" when it has nothing to do with them aside from the subject of interest being a rider from the same country.

Correct, this one has nothing to do with Bauer or LG. It has to do with:

1. The LG positives were practically amateurs, so doping has reached all the way down to amateur levels in Canada, just like the rest of North America. I'm still surprised by the "In Canada???" comments.
2. The way the LG positives were handled. Instead of it being a point of action, the sanction is applied, LG and Bauer apparently discuss the matter, they declare it resolved (?) and not another word is spoken.

Bottom line is, this is effective Doping controversy management from Canada's federation, but not much else.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Salas was called at the race to present a sample I assume by a chaperone. Instead he left the venue without the chaperone and returned 2 hours later to pee. He was alone for 2 hours without a chaperone and that is Tampering or at least 1 type of tampering. He could be banned for just that alone. Now John was on TV with knowledge of other things related to the case but in the end Salas accepted the penalty rather than argue it. Perhaps that was the source of John's comments? I think he was privy to the appeal submission that was about to be heard and let some inside knowledge slip?
In the end the sanction for tampering was being unattended for 2 hours when the rules clearly demand the chaperone is with the athlete the entire time once the rider is notified.

Master50 said:
Salas was called at the race to present a sample I assume by a chaperone. Instead he left the venue without the chaperone and returned 2 hours later to pee. He was alone for 2 hours without a chaperone and that is Tampering or at least 1 type of tampering. He could be banned for just that alone. Now John was on TV with knowledge of other things related to the case but in the end Salas accepted the penalty rather than argue it. Perhaps that was the source of John's comments? I think he was privy to the appeal submission that was about to be heard and let some inside knowledge slip?
In the end the sanction for tampering was being unattended for 2 hours when the rules clearly demand the chaperone is with the athlete the entire time once the rider is notified.

Thanks M50.

Fair to say that there may have been 'aggravating circumstances', and perhaps John was aware of these, but the cleanest and simplest resolution for everyone was to agree on the fact that he didn't pee when he was supposed to.

Dave.

TRENDING THREADS