• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Sepp Kuss is the next Sepp Kuss thread

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yeah, it was a general forum thingy reference (I can't even remember who had/has the quote about the Black Album and Cancellara), nothing directly related to LS.

I am not even into heavy metal myself, but can't really give an opinion on the quality (or not) of that album.

And although he/she is generally liked and admired around here, I definitely consider LS to be underrated :)
It was @Netserk IIRC.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
Ok, so what do people think this guy’s limits are? He seems at this point like a future GT winner. Are there good reasons to doubt that?
The odds. Lets be honest, there are so many future GT winners according to this forum. Kuss, Kämna, Mas are only the names I read today. Combine that with the obvious choices (Pogacar, Evenepoel) and the odds are against the individual riders.

Also, Kuss has even more uncertainties then others (for now). Timetrial? Handle pressure? Recovery? Tiring out in high speed flat stages? Crosswinds? He does a superb job as domestique but that does not necessarily mean he will ever feature on the top end of a GT (see Poels, for example).

As with most Jumbos I would like to see him next year first. Will they be able to hold this form or did they do things right that other teams got wrong in this weird season?

That being said he looked amazing today. Finally a mountain steep enough for this fastidious young man.
And that's with Benett out of form, Kruiswijk out of TDF and Roglic pre-crash. TJV at the time Dauphine started was a monster.

Reactions: Sandisfan
The odds. Lets be honest, there are so many future GT winners according to this forum. Kuss, Kämna, Mas are only the names I read today. Combine that with the obvious choices (Pogacar, Evenepoel) and the odds are against the individual riders.

Also, Kuss has even more uncertainties then others (for now). Timetrial? Handle pressure? Recovery? Tiring out in high speed flat stages? Crosswinds? He does a superb job as domestique but that does not necessarily mean he will ever feature on the top end of a GT (see Poels, for example).

I accept your basic point about odds. But I also think that domestiques of this level - the best climbing superdom at the Tour kind of level - have in recent times more often than not gone on to win big stuff themselves. Poels and Porte ”only” went on to win a monument in one case and become a highly successful one week racer in the other, I accept.

In an interview I've read recently he said he doesn't believe he has it in him to become a GT GC rider. He doesn't like the pressure that comes with the expectations, he doesn't like the stress of being focused all the time in all stages, the constant battling for positions in the peloton and so on...

But I believe he will have at least a couple of tries in the future. Maybe as soon as next year.

Obviously, SK is a heck of a rider. How good can he become? Who knows, but to me he's the revelation of this Tour in terms of GT potential.

I'd say Wout is the biggest revelation of the Tour. I think everyone knew he was really good, but he's clearly a top 15-20 climber in the race, while winning bunch sprints, pulling on all terrains, and shepherding Roglic at key, tricky points.

TJV is in a truly unbelievable position.
  • The best GT rider in the world* [Roglic]
  • The other best GT rider in the world who happens to be willing to dom** [Dumoulin]
  • The best all-arounder in the world who has the potential to be the next Cancellara or...the next Hinault [Wout]
  • The best climbing domestique, who is only 4 years into the sport... [Kuss]
+Kruijswijk...

*pending the result of the current Tour
**debatable and assumes a return to form

I'd say Wout is the biggest revelation of the Tour. I think everyone knew he was really good, but he's clearly a top 15-20 climber in the race, while winning bunch sprints, pulling on all terrains, and shepherding Roglic at key, tricky points.

• The other best GT rider in the world who happens to be willing to dom** [Dumoulin]
  • The best all-arounder in the world who has the potential to be the next Cancellara or...the next Hinault [Wout]
+Kruijswijk...

no more rabofail

In an interview I've read recently he said he doesn't believe he has it in him to become a GT GC rider. He doesn't like the pressure that comes with the expectations, he doesn't like the stress of being focused all the time in all stages, the constant battling for positions in the peloton and so on...

But I believe he will have at least a couple of tries in the future. Maybe as soon as next year.
Yeah he seems like the sort of guy who isn't made for it despite being a great climber, but it would still make sense to try, and no harm done if it doesn't work.

Probably works best with maybe a free role on a team that already has a GC leader. However that chance won't really come if he only rides one GT a year. Dumoulin seems to think he'll do La Vuelta, maybe Kuss will ride it as well.

+Kruijswijk...

They're in a great position, but they sure as hell won't be able to retain all these riders. Van Aert is gonna get three times as expensive, Roglic is still skyrocketing in value, and Kuss increasing in value is probably the least of their problems.

Now they only have one expensive rider that's probably a really easy decision to ditch but Groenewegen has a pretty long contract IIRC.

TRENDING THREADS