• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Sepp Kuss is the next Sepp Kuss thread

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Like you, many would like to see him get more freedom. He has the head to accomplish more but is admirably loyal to the team goals. The Tour win is also thanks to the team and he was a large contributor.

I'm not sure about that. I have the feeling he does not have the tools to be a leader except for TIER 3 races.

Whenever he has been given green light for GC at WT races, he has been underwhelming, yet he is (one of) the best climbing domestiques.

I think his current role (super domestique with the occasional chance to go for a stage win) is the one he thrives in and the one he is most comfortable with.

Like you, many would like to see him get more freedom. He has the head to accomplish more but is admirably loyal to the team goals. The Tour win is also thanks to the team and he was a large contributor.

In more than one interview he said he'd prefer Not to be a leader. They gave him a couple of opportunities and he didn't like the pressure.

I'm not sure about that. I have the feeling he does not have the tools to be a leader except for TIER 3 races.

Whenever he has been given green light for GC at WT races, he has been underwhelming, yet he is (one of) the best climbing domestiques.

I think his current role (super domestique with the occasional chance to go for a stage win) is the one he thrives in and the one he is most comfortable with.
You and Carols shed light on the current situation for him. Fighting for primacy on JV is a Death Cage battle with much pressure. I meant we'd like to see him get more freedom. His perspective is likely affected by the pressure to perform the domestique role and he enjoys the winning team atmosphere. He's also paid well.
Maybe he won't take that initiative until he becomes less essential, I don't know. I'd hope he'd try.

Reactions: Sandisfan
You and Carols shed light on the current situation for him. Fighting for primacy on JV is a Death Cage battle with much pressure. I meant we'd like to see him get more freedom. His perspective is likely affected by the pressure to perform the domestique role and he enjoys the winning team atmosphere. He's also paid well.
Maybe he won't take that initiative until he becomes less essential, I don't know. I'd hope he'd try.

Actually, he indicated that it was the pressure to perform in a role he doesn't relish. It has nothing to do with the team beyond the expectations placed on him when he is given an opportunity to lead. Not all riders are leaders, and he seems to be happy without the demands and burden that comes with the role.

So by my logic if he is usually present in a winning GT team, he must be the reason they always win. He is really integral for Jumbo Visma.

FxpLeeNXoAA7ZTp

Szmyd of Jumbo Visma needs to be massive again for Vinge to take his 2nd tdf.

Here is hoping libertine seguros doesnt blow a gasket by the Szmyd of Jumbo moniker. 😃😄😋
Not at all, if they had him do the Szmyd job more often, then I'd have little problem with him. It's the way they all too often have him don't even have him do the 2012 Szmyd job (riding on the front to ride a false tempo to hide Basso not being too good, using his formidable reputation to snuff attacks) but just sit him in the reduced group as a deterrent to anybody else adding to the racing but without actually adding to it himself that created the antipathy.

If Jumbo are learning how to use the weapon they have at their disposal, then all the better, and I can move on to finding Belgian Cândido Barbosa the most frustrating thing about them.

Not at all, if they had him do the Szmyd job more often, then I'd have little problem with him. It's the way they all too often have him don't even have him do the 2012 Szmyd job (riding on the front to ride a false tempo to hide Basso not being too good, using his formidable reputation to snuff attacks) but just sit him in the reduced group as a deterrent to anybody else adding to the racing but without actually adding to it himself that created the antipathy.

If Jumbo are learning how to use the weapon they have at their disposal, then all the better, and I can move on to finding Belgian Cândido Barbosa the most frustrating thing about them.
Looking at his politicking skills behind close doors/backstage Belgian Hulk Hogan seems to be a better comparison. ;)

Looking at his politicking skills behind close doors/backstage Belgian Hulk Hogan seems to be a better comparison. ;)
2010 Julien Simon DQ to gift Barbosa an undeserved stage tells me Cândido could Hogan his way around as good as anybody.

He's just more a comparison for, like, Carlos Colón or something, dominating a small scene where he can be the king at home rather than being a global superstar like Hogan.

Yep. Today's Marie Blanc was the classic case. Setup the move for Jonas and then Dog the Pogi all the way to the finish.
Sepp Kuss is worth his weight in gold (actually a bit more, since he isn't that heavy). And this is what he likes to do, he doesn't want to be a team leader. He nearly always delivers on the big days, and the other days he's just happily cruising along. I don't think I've ever seen such a perfect mountain domestique.