• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Serebryakov tests positive

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Euskaltel has reported their new signing has admitted doping and has immediately been fired.

I don't know much else, but I thought it was interesting for some of us.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
Impossible. The peloton is clean now

edit: so GP Pino Cerami, Scheldeprijs or OOC?

It was out of competion. But right now Euskaltel's site's crashed, so we'll have to wait for more details.

the asian said:
That's bad for Euskaltel. Any idea for what he was caught?

( Daniel benson reports adverse analytical finding)

"Bad for Euskatel" Where are you coming from? It is great for Euskatel and cycling. It may show teams are finally taking dopers seriously and giving them the boot. Keeping Serebryakov would only have bought Euskatel a world of trouble. How is keeping a cyclist who only does well because he dopes "bad"?

Congratulations Euskatel! :D

hrotha said:
New generation! (Hi, Galimzyanov)

Russian riders obviously need to get smarter programs and get better at beating the tests.
Obviously we can't say anything until we know what he was positive for and more detail, but after reading some of the things coming out of the wintersports camp recently about Wolfgang Pichler (former Russian women's biathlon head coach) trying to introduce various innovations and modern ideas into training, preparation etc, and not being popular among the regional coaches who were rather too attached to the old methods I wouldn't be surprised if we had a similar issue here. Didn't Galimzyanov test positive for regular ol' EPO? It's just a bit of an outmoded method.
RobbieCanuck said:
"Bad for Euskatel" Where are you coming from? It is great for Euskatel and cycling. It may show teams are finally taking dopers seriously and giving them the boot. Keeping Serebryakov would only have bought Euskatel a world of trouble. How is keeping a cyclist who only does well because he dopes "bad"?

Of course it's bad for Euskaltel. Not bad that they've fired him (though of course I might point out Mikel Astarloza's position on the team roster). It's bad press, but more importantly, Aleksandr Serebryakov was bought for one reason and one reason only: a bunch of cheap UCI points. Points apply for two years for the UCI licences, so Serebryakov's good points scores for 2012 would have counted towards Euskaltel's World Tour licence application for 2014. Now, they're totally irrelevant, because the guy won't be there.

To add insult to injury, a rider they jettisoned in the pursuit of those UCI points (Txurruka) and a rider who was in their feeder team but they couldn't make room for with the influx of foreign riders (Fraile) have been highly noticeable this week, while the Euskaltel team themselves have been pretty quiet in their home race.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
To add insult to injury, a rider they jettisoned in the pursuit of those UCI points (Txurruka) and a rider who was in their feeder team but they couldn't make room for with the influx of foreign riders (Fraile) have been highly noticeable this week, while the Euskaltel team themselves have been pretty quiet in their home race.

Exactly what i was thinking while watching Fraile yesterday and reading about this russian points doping positive today.

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
"In Soviet Russia doping uses you". Could it be possible that european teams will get cleaner but the Eastern Block will continue on a high? I know Sky would indicate that "we" aren't exactly riding any way near clean but I just imagine russians to be slightly more unscrupulous.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Clausfarre said:
"In Soviet Russia doping uses you". Could it be possible that european teams will get cleaner but the Eastern Block will continue on a high? I know Sky would indicate that "we" aren't exactly riding any way near clean but I just imagine russians to be slightly more unscrupulous.

If you take a step back from cycling, Russia is going through a bit of an epidemic at the moment, some tie it to the IAAF worlds in moscow this year, but they have just escaped a federation wide ban in Swimming by the skin of their teeth, having been caught doping, among others, a 14 yo girl swimmer, and the list of recent back dated track and field positives is appalling. Now is this a sign of rusada getting its act together, or just a terrible doping culture. I've no idea. But it's not 'co-incidence'

I'm not sure, given the teamcentric structures of the sport, that can be traced through to pro cycling, though. Though if there is, sky might want to check Kiryenka's soup - the Belorussian athletes have been nearly as bad as the russians....

ElChingon said:
What is this BS? Is this the new version of "Non-Negative"?

Out of competition test means either the UCI sent someone out to get a sample from wherever he was and it wasn't in a race. And then, shockingly the test results actually made it out of APMU.

I wonder if there's any extra message Pat and Hein are sending with this one. Makarov is possible as he has strategically let the fact out he had to pay a private company for the use of the phrase "Tour of Russia" in order for the UCI to approve his event. It could be as simple as kicking a minor rider out to give the appearance of an anti-doping program.

As mentioned somewhere, watching the UCI is Kremlinology.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure elaborate conspiracy theories are necessary to explain this.

Rider from Eastern Europe desperate for a paycheque, doesn't have the money and/or contacts to pay for the advice you'd need to dope without being caught, tests positive.

Not ruling out that there's something more complex going on, but simple explanations are sometimes sufficient.

I, Alexander Serebryakov, wish to clarify the matter of my recent positive doping control. I want to make it clear that the team has nothing to do with this situation, and that it is a personal problem that I will try to clarify in the next few days.

Team Euskaltel Euskadi and its technical, medical and support staff have always emphasized their commitment to zero tolerance with doping, and their work in favour of a clean, transparent and credible cycling. I deeply regret what happened, and I apologize to the team and my teammates for this unfortunate situation.

http://biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=60855

In this case you probably believe it.

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
RobbieCanuck said:

And who says the team wasn´t aware of it?
Don´t be so naive, nothing today suggest it´s a cleaner sport, just that the methods and drugs are better and harder to find.

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Ferminal said:
I, Alexander Serebryakov, wish to clarify the matter of my recent positive doping control. I want to make it clear that the team has nothing to do with this situation, and that it is a personal problem that I will try to clarify in the next few days.

Team Euskaltel Euskadi and its technical, medical and support staff have always emphasized their commitment to zero tolerance with doping, and their work in favour of a clean, transparent and credible cycling. I deeply regret what happened, and I apologize to the team and my teammates for this unfortunate situation.

http://biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=60855

In this case you probably believe it.

Not really, isn´t it the usual denial we hear every time, teams rejects any and all liabilities when a rider get caught, and almost every time we later learn how much involvement the teams actually had?