• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Serena Williams Temper Tantrum

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
She was totally diva in that match - she should have kept her cool after the first set, perhaps she wouldn't be so elevated (to eruption). I didnt realize Kljisters was that good - glad finally someone to challenge the Williams. Wozniacki is not in their league yet.

Love watching damiano cunego. I hope he goes on to win the world and olympics one day. Is Valverde's one bad day coming or he might just win this year?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
She snapped twice. First thrashing her racket, and later 'verbally assaulting' the linesman. I don't know what was said, but at one point she yelled "I DID NOT say I would/threaten to kill you"

According to the NYT

In this age of instant video, Williams is going to have to live with the image of her waving a ball and profanely threatening to shove it down the line official’s throat

Clijsters kept her cool and although I don't know if she didn't hear anything, she did the right thing and tactically refused to comment on the issue.

The commentators were a little biased I believe, because from a camera position that gave no clear view of the so called foot fault, they concluded the linesman was wrong. Anyway, the foot fault didn't matter, she lost her composure and got her second infraction. That decided the match right?

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
I just finished reading A Terrible Splendor, a terrific account of the 1937 Davis Cup match between Don Budge and Gottfried von Cramm (and all the politics playing out in the background). I'm afraid that the level of sportsmanship today isn't what it used to be! In a crucial Cup doubles match in 1935, the ball grazed Cramm's racket before his partner hit a winner, setting up match point. No one noticed this but Cramm; he informed the umpire, who awarded the point to the Americans, who went on to win the match. On the other hand, Serena was far more ... uh ... serene (relatively speaking) than George Brett after the famous pine tar incident: http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=3977861

Unacceptable behaviour towards the umpire of course but not totally unsporting about losing the match as a result. Serena still went and congratulated Clisters and shook hands with her before leaving the court. I did note that there was no handshake for the chair umpire though.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
"I swear to God I feel like taking this fu*king ball and shoving it down your fu*king throat."

Well, that's certainly terrible treatment of an official and she deserved the penalty. But this is being overblown. If she physically abused an official, hang her out to dry. If she threatened an official, also bad news. But this is just having a brain cramp, not a real threat. Does anyone doubt that Serena could have shoved that ball anywhere she wanted? It was a stupid comment, it cost her the match, maybe she should be fined but IMO that's it.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
I played tounament tennis when I was young. Serena went crazy it's true. But calling a footfault at that point in a match is like if they would have disqualified Cunego for not riding a straight line in the last 200 meters.

Thank you Hugh - I was going to add to my earlier post - was it or was it not a breach of rules ie footfault?

From what I have read up, a footfault is a punishable act - yet it is perceived as a minor indiscretion - so I assume in Cycling parlance it is akin to a 'sticky bottle'?

I feel some sympathy for her if a minor offense is 'called' on - however as much as I admire her passion in whatever sport you do not threaten harm toward an official.

She should have contested the line judges decision with the umpire rather than taking out her anger/frustration on the line-judge.

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
She still gets her picture in People Mag. did she ever do anything more than that?

this again?
aye she was fit but she was also a good tennis player.
she was ranked as #8 in the world
imagine being eighth in any worldwide sport, quite an achievement.
i know you'd think she was the women's roger federer based on number of pictures in the papers but it seems people forgot she was among the best in the world at her sport as well

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Very childish, stomping her foot like that when she was upset.

although she did put her best foot forward when she verbally assaulted the linesman.

but then again, she really should have kept her feet on the ground.

In any case, the semis just started off on the wrong foot.

Can't believe some people here are almost acting like what she did was justified, because it was a relatively obscure call. Unreal.

So the linesman should have just let it pass? What if TV cameras caught it, and it was an obvious fault - the officials ignored it, then Serena goes on to win the match? Would that have been okay?

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Can't believe some people here are almost acting like what she did was justified, because it was a relatively obscure call. Unreal.

So the linesman should have just let it pass? What if TV cameras caught it, and it was an obvious fault - the officials ignored it, then Serena goes on to win the match? Would that have been okay?

the linesman should recognize her place and let the athletes compete even if you do not find her physically attractive.

TRENDING THREADS