• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Serena Williams: The Cadel Evans of tennis

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
they both have dogs, and either promise to rip peoples' heads off, or stuff tennis balls down their throat and gut them like a pig.

nice.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
they both have dogs, and either promise to rip peoples' heads off, or stuff tennis balls down their throat and gut them like a pig.

nice.

What he did at the vuelta was totally reasonable and fair? Stop trolling and making pointless, baseless claims about people. Serena had a bad day but generally she is not that bad. Why would you make a thread about this anyway? You must have a lot of spare time.:rolleyes:

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
What he did at the vuelta was totally reasonable and fair? Stop trolling and making pointless, baseless claims about people. Serena had a bad day but generally she is not that bad. Why would you make a thread about this anyway? You must have a lot of spare time.:rolleyes:
2008 at the Tour, he promised to rip peoples' heads off, if they stepped on his stupid mutt. By my calculation, that is either psychotic, or psychopathic. He was severely unhinged. His behaviour was a blight.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
2008 at the Tour, he promised to rip peoples' heads off, if they stepped on his stupid mutt. By my calculation, that is either psychotic, or psychopathic. He was severely unhinged. His behaviour was a blight.

I think you are psychotic or psychopathic. it was meant in a sarcastic manner because people were touching his shoulder so he joked that if anyone touched his dog (not stupid mutt) he would chop their head off but it wasn't meant in a literal manner. It was meant in a joking manner.

Blackcat: "The Gossip of Cycling"

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
what, like he head butted the reporters. The guy was definitely passive aggressive, you never got that tone. Someone should have taken him aside, and gave him counsel. As it is, cycling is a pretty flat hierarchical structure, and the big hitters have the power in the team. Perhaps Mcewen could have wrestled with his head. Goodluck tho.

Evans is a great rider, and with good counsel, could have been much better. Tough being Australian with no team to be the face of a de facto national squadra.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
I dont like Cuddles or little fluffy dogs as much as the next guy but.......

Thread-Crap-Stupid-Actors.jpg

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
what, like he head butted the reporters. The guy was definitely passive aggressive, you never got that tone. Someone should have taken him aside, and gave him counsel. As it is, cycling is a pretty flat hierarchical structure, and the big hitters have the power in the team. Perhaps Mcewen could have wrestled with his head. Goodluck tho.

Evans is a great rider, and with good counsel, could have been much better. Tough being Australian with no team to be the face of a de facto national squadra.

it's bad behaviour all right, but what other elite sports person has press right in his face less that a minute after competing? It must be very hard to be serene and happy when you're so pumped/exhausted etc...

A

Anonymous

Just an observation, but OP, if you were to switch Evans' name with LA than you'd have everyone on your side. :rolleyes:

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Did Cadel ever win a Grand Tour? Was he ever rated #1 in his sport for a multi year period? What % of his income does he contribute to cycling causes? How much is his time worth on TV( both Williams sisters get above 400k for a 30 sec spot). Serena is on track to be one of if not the best female tennis player in history, Evans is also on track to be one of the biggest mama's boys in 2 wheel history. Williams did not foot fault,did she act like an idiot at the blown call? No question. She had a moment of dumb, and a few others while destroying her competition, I am not a fan of Williams or Evans. The only thing they have in common is they sit when they pee.

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Comparison to Williams

fatandfast said:
Did Cadel ever win a Grand Tour? Was he ever rated #1 in his sport for a multi year period? What % of his income does he contribute to cycling causes? How much is his time worth on TV( both Williams sisters get above 400k for a 30 sec spot). Serena is on track to be one of if not the best female tennis player in history, Evans is also on track to be one of the biggest mama's boys in 2 wheel history. Williams did not foot fault,did she act like an idiot at the blown call? No question. She had a moment of dumb, and a few others while destroying her competition, I am not a fan of Williams or Evans. The only thing they have in common is they sit when they pee.

Good points. The only thing Evans has in common with Williams is his tantrums. He is not scary or intimidating with his squeeky little voice or his wheel sucking cycling. Williams has massive marketability worldwide and wins big tennis tournaments everywhere, Evans while he puts up a good fight wins nothing and creates no fame on his own.

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
What do you guys see in Cadel?

I know there are lots of Aussies on this board, and I've spent a lot of time down there in the last couple years, but I just can't figure out what you guys see in this little s*it. Every other word that comes out of his mouth is a whine or a threat, and it's tough to imagine him going through the week without an hours-long conversation with his mother.

Don't get me wrong. I love you guys. Your classics headbangers are fearsome and awesome. In both the US and Europe we're blessed to have 98% of the rock-hard Aussies that fight day in and day out...

But how come every time I'm down in Mel or Syd racing or riding, I hear a mysterious fanaticism for this grouchy little leprechaun?

May 14, 2009
Visit site
He might have the physical talent, but the guy's just not mentally strong enough to become a true winner. When you've become better known for your squeaky whining than winning races, something has gone wrong. I'd like to see the guy with a better team around him and a winning mentality. For now, however, he's painful to listen to.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Shirt39 said:
I know there are lots of Aussies on this board, and I've spent a lot of time down there in the last couple years, but I just can't figure out what you guys see in this little s*it. Every other word that comes out of his mouth is a whine or a threat, and it's tough to imagine him going through the week without an hours-long conversation with his mother.

Don't get me wrong. I love you guys. Your classics headbangers are fearsome and awesome. In both the US and Europe we're blessed to have 98% of the rock-hard Aussies that fight day in and day out...

But how come every time I'm down in Mel or Syd racing or riding, I hear a mysterious fanaticism for this grouchy little leprechaun?

While I am no Cadel fan, I think there are aspects of his cycling career that are blown out of proportion and/or misrepresented. It would be nice if journalists included the 15 seconds before and after famous/infamous quotes because there is much more behind his "I'll cut your head off" line. And I can definitely understand his outburst during the Vuelta after being double teamed into second at the Dauphine, crash'n'burning at his targeted race for the year (TdF), and then getting a mechanical, poor change over from the neutral support car, and then a time penalty when trying to make it back to the peloton in the Vuelta. However, I do not think there is any excuse for Cadel to criticize his team, especially publicly. While Cadel may be a bit of a whinger, I wouldn't call him a ***. We may have a soft-spot for the twin-chinned wonder because he was our first prominent MTBer and made a successful switch to the road. He is a hard rider and gives it everything he's got. He has done well in the non-cobbled classics and climbs like a TTer in the mountains for GTs. Sure, he hasn't got that many wins to his credit, but he has lots of seconds and is always pushing the leaders.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:

People criticise evans when he supposedly has a moment of dumb, you all crucify him. Evans was rated N.o 1 in 2007 on the UCI ladder. What % of his income does he contribute to cycling cause? Amy Gillet Foundation and contributes to poor people in Vietnam and Tibet, homeless people and young people who lack education. Don't make stupid comments when you don't know the facts.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I have said it before and I will say it again.....If Cadel didn't say stoopid sh!t, you wouldn't have yet another trivial thing to argue about.:rolleyes:

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
UCI ladder in 2007

auscyclefan94 said:
People criticise evans when he supposedly has a moment of dumb, you all crucify him. Evans was rated N.o 1 in 2007 on the UCI ladder. What % of his income does he contribute to cycling cause? Amy Gillet Foundation and contributes to poor people in Vietnam and Tibet, homeless people and young people who lack education. Don't make stupid comments when you don't know the facts.

I might be wrong but I think most people agree that the protour rankings were a joke.

TRENDING THREADS