• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sergio Paulinho vs. Contador

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Why is that quote "Sergio Paulinho played a pivotal role to Contador's win" at this year's Tour? Was he specifically instrumental or is this just a generalization because he was a domestique at Astana squad?

A

Anonymous

dblueroom said:
Why is that quote "Sergio Paulinho played a pivotal role to Contador's win" at this year's Tour? Was he specifically instrumental or is this just a generalization because he was a domestique at Astana squad?

Seems like the group was pretty small on several of the climbs and Paulinho was still there. He looked like he rode his **** off. I did'nt realize he could climb and was impressed with him.

dblueroom said:

He was Contador's roommate and confident during the Tour. I think he also trained with him prior to the Tour. He, Zubeldia and Kloden were the real engines when the road went up.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
he was contadors only domestique
the others popo zubeldia rast all worked for lance or both of them
at no point did paulinho help lance. i was imprssed by him

dont know why he would join the shack

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
tretow95 said:

Must be worried about where Contador will end up next year and whether there will be room for him. Bird in the hand, you know.

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
ooops ...

tretow95 said:

... :confused: I can't believe it. :confused:

A

Anonymous

This is just speculation, but it sounds like Contador is negotiating with teams, and Paulinho wasn't part of the Happy Meal and he knew it. What a better way to show your displeasure than to sign with The Shack?

Thoughtforfood said:
This is just speculation, but it sounds like Contador is negotiating with teams, and Paulinho wasn't part of the Happy Meal and he knew it. What a better way to show your displeasure than to sign with The Shack?
Where he'll be passing around the hot cocoa and slippers.:eek:

Besides, I thought Jesus Hernandez was Berto's best boy?
Plenty of good Spanish workers around to fill the Portugese's shoes, if the money is right, as I'm sure it will be, wherever he ends up.

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
+1.

In was surprised by the news but I think you are right about this.

Agree. It must feel terrible to be a significant source of strength for Contador in the Tour and then find out that you're replaceable.

tretow95 said:

Well... I wouldn't say that's true. They all just went ahead and went with the classic US Postal move. Are you surprised? Same DS. Drive the pace as hard as possible for until team leader makes the big move.

Popo and Zubeldia specifically helped Armstrong when the split came in stage 3, but I don't think you can blame them (they were probably told to do so in order to keep Astana's options open, admittedly kinda ridiculous, in the third week). Rast was riding for the team not just Lance. Paulinho did a lot of early final climb tempo... so you could say he was working for Armstrong too.

The only specific serious riding for Armstrong was probably Kloeden pacing him at Verbier.

**Uru** said:
That is what I am wondering. I doubt Contador felt he needed any help on the road. He needed support on the team bus and at the hotel, but not on the road.

True. I think Fran was Contador's most valuable teammate this year. Maybe Contador should specify that any team signing him has to include his brother (brother-in-law?) on the payroll.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Main ideas from that interview:

- Will only stay at Astana if he can't break the contract
- Caisse is a very good option but there are others
- The Alonso team becomes less likely with each passing day
- Chances of riding for a spanish team are 50%

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
I don't see the move as a bad one for Paulhino.

I don't know what sort of aspirations he has for himself, but he knows LA doesn't give two ****es about the vuelta and that The Shack will probably field a team for that GT.

Maybe, to him, it's worth it to carry LA's water in order to ride for himself in Spain.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Lots of riders have done very well in Armstrong's teams. As long as they would do their job in the Tour (which should not have been unpleasant) they were given considerable freedom in other races.

The biggest problem with Radioshack will be that Armstrong is not going to win the Tour. This could make things rather unpleasant for his teammates.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
tretow95 said:

I wouldn't say he was on one side or the other, but there was certainly lots of opinion on here that he was one of Contador's only options on the team for help and camaraderie.

I am a bit surprised more guys arent working to line up behind Contador. With being a sure-bet to win several more GTs, I can't pin-point why guys aren't trying to be a part of that.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Jonathan said:
Lots of riders have done very well in Armstrong's teams. As long as they would do their job in the Tour (which should not have been unpleasant) they were given considerable freedom in other races.

The biggest problem with Radioshack will be that Armstrong is not going to win the Tour. This could make things rather unpleasant for his teammates.

I'd normally agree but given Armstrongs quote in the article "Armstrong moots Hincapie move to The Shack" on this website today, I'd say that Lance has admitted that Contador is an anomaly he can't rectify. He's gone as far as his ego will allow and his language suggests he has admitted AC is too good for him to beat. This doesn't mean he doesn't think he can't come second and everyone will still be obliged to work for him. LA needs to really fix his time trialing because he can barely beat Andy Schleck, let alone Kloden and Leipheimer who are big chances to be ridding with him next year.

Paulinho is anyone's guess. Contador doesn't really need help when they hit the hills, but it doesn't hurt to have some buddies alongside you. I was surprised a few weeks ago when I heard Paulinho mentioned alongside the Shack. Perhaps its just more mind games from LA and JB. Or better yet, he's being used as a mole to screw over the Shack. That would be priceless.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
I'd normally agree but given Armstrongs quote in the article "Armstrong moots Hincapie move to The Shack" on this website today, I'd say that Lance has admitted that Contador is an anomaly he can't rectify. He's gone as far as his ego will allow and his language suggests he has admitted AC is too good for him to beat. This doesn't mean he doesn't think he can't come second and everyone will still be obliged to work for him. LA needs to really fix his time trialing because he can barely beat Andy Schleck, let alone Kloden and Leipheimer who are big chances to be ridding with him next year.
It would be typical for Armstrong and Bruyneel to depict Contador from this point on as the big favorite for the Tour who, consequently, has to 'take all responsibility'. It's a way to put pressure on the Spaniard. I'm convinced Armstrong still believes in his own chances. Losing tends to unbalance him, as we saw, making a Tour that much worse for his teammates, as well as less profitable.

Paulinho is anyone's guess. Contador doesn't really need help when they hit the hills, but it doesn't hurt to have some buddies alongside you. I was surprised a few weeks ago when I heard Paulinho mentioned alongside the Shack. Perhaps its just more mind games from LA and JB. Or better yet, he's being used as a mole to screw over the Shack. That would be priceless.
Is it really officially 'The Shack'? Sorry for assuming it was a self-proposed nickname. Anyway. As I said, The Shack should be an attractive team to ride for, especially if you have no personal ambitions for the Tour.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Jonathan said:
Is it really officially 'The Shack'? Sorry for assuming it was a self-proposed nickname. Anyway. As I said, The Shack should be an attractive team to ride for, especially if you have no personal ambitions for the Tour.

I think no doubt Armstrong is a great rider; however, he's very illusioned to think none is better than him as long as he could ride. And when he didnt win, he acted like a sore loser (or maybe he was just embarrassed) - not cool. Can he win next year? Perhaps. I seriously doubt him in the mountains and he will never make up the time in ITT. Shack will try to buy as many super domestiques as possible, well put "especially ones that have no personal ambitions for the Tour".

tretow95 said:

keep your friends close, and
keep your enemy's closer. la hired him away from ac. my theory, and he is a very good rider, why not get him if you can?:cool:

TRENDING THREADS