• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Serious quadriceps/thight problem when riding

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys, newbie here :D

The following issue is plaguing me for about a year now. And it is killing me slowly but steadily (mentally).

I'm a pretty well trained athlete (22 years old, riding since age 15), btw. 12 and 20 hours a week on the bike.

The problem first occured in the winter of 2013/2014. At first only when riding fullgaz, right now it occurs at 300 Watt and above, sometimes starts at 200 Watt already (FTP around 330Watt). It is not related to muscular fatigue (starts at the beginning of the ride, is rather worse after recovery periodes).

When I ride, my frontal quadriceps muscle starts to thighten (on the right leg only). It is not a full spasm/cramp as you know it from hard and long rides, but the muscle gets really thight. The thightness induces pain that eventually causes me to stop. When I stop pedaling, it takes 2-5 minutes and the pain is completely gone. It is impossible to ride through the thightness/pain though.

No major changes regarding training volume. Had a crash in the fall of 2013 (drove over a cat :eek: and fell on my right hip), don't know if this has anything to do with it. Nutrition shouldn't be the problem. I drink enough, eat healthy and nutritious and take magnesium every evening. The problem doesn't occur at all while running.

I developed muscular imbalances as well (weak glute on the right side).

No results from visiting a physiotherapist. No results from changing the bike position (in every way possible). No results from foam rolling (at least not yet).

Anybody with the same problem or an advice? Any help appreciated! This is really driving me crazy.

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
Additional information: I'm rather unstable im my upper body when riding. I remember that I used to be extremely stable years ago. Don't know if this is related to my thight problem at all. Not sure about the point in time the upper body movement started.

Have you had a period completely off the bike (and without the pain) for at least 2 weeks to allow for possible healing?
Does the pain and tightness happens when doing any other activities - e.g. stairs?,
Have you tired taking aspirin or ibuprofen prior to riding (to reduce swelling) - NOT a recommendation!, just wondering if you have tried such, and what results.

I'm not a medical person, but perhaps the accident caused some nerve damage that only is troublesome when the 'pedaling muscles' are stressed.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
Re:

JayKosta said:
Have you had a period completely off the bike (and without the pain) for at least 2 weeks to allow for possible healing?
Does the pain and tightness happens when doing any other activities - e.g. stairs?,
Have you tired taking aspirin or ibuprofen prior to riding (to reduce swelling) - NOT a recommendation!, just wondering if you have tried such, and what results.

I'm not a medical person, but perhaps the accident caused some nerve damage that only is troublesome when the 'pedaling muscles' are stressed.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

Hi Jay

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, I had a rest period of 3 weeks last fall.

There is absolutely no other action causing the pain/tightness.

Sure, I tried Aspirin and a few other anti-inflammatory meds, but no results.

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Captain Serious said:
Is it the inner or outer front part of the quad?
Google external iliac artery kinking and cyclists. It's a possibility.

It's not usually something regular doctors will know a lot about

Have you seen this thread on here?http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=16610
The symptoms described there by sufferers (myself included) sounds similar to what you describe.
Unfortunately there are no definitive answers but plenty of ideas on cause/ treatment.