• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

SHACK ATTACK: Radioshack fail dismally!

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
What a failure radioshack are! They failed badly today.

Certainly they failed in that they targeted this stage and LA needs time on his rivals come the mountains and the final TT.

However, I was pretty impressed with LA working himself back up through the field. That was a monster effort on his part. Had he not flatted, he looked like he had no problem staying with the leaders.

But yes, RS looked pretty weak today.

Barrus said:
I wonder what Bruyneel is going to do, because most of the time his fantastic tactical genius consists of having a very defensive race, a tactic that won't work now. Will he still be able to salvage anything out of this?

As the greatest tactical mind in the history of the sport, save the great tactical mind of a certain Mr. Lance Armstrong, I am not in the least bit worried about what will occur. Lance wins by 12 minutes!

Ok, in all seriousness, it's an interesting question. And frankly, it's actually a liberating situation for the entire Radio Shack team. They aren't that far out of contention (reminds me of the Giro when everyone pronounced Basso's race over) and they've got enough live dogs on their team to make their presence known and felt over the next two weeks.

Psychologically is where I wonder how they respond. They (along with a number of other GC candidates) seem to put a lot of stock in AC loses significant amounts of time (if not crashing out) today. That didn't happen. It will be interesting to see if they can put this behind them and race the race that is now in front of them (instead of the one they prepared for in their minds).

warmfuzzies said:
This is going on my wall for the next 2 weeks. A bold prediction. I think after AC and Vino, Grivko is Astana's best climber.

That pretty much means you don't know a whole heck of a lot about the current peloton. Grivko can climb, but he's not the guy that will be leading AC up the mountains. It will probably go: Hernandez--DDLF--Navarro--Tiralongo--Vino--AC.

Publicus said:
That pretty much means you don't know a whole heck of a lot about the current peloton. Grivko can climb, but he's not the guy that will be leading AC up the mountains. It will probably go: Hernandez--DDLF--Navarro--Tiralongo--Vino--AC.

Flip flop the first 2. De La Fuente crashed twice on stage 2, and I consider him more of a punchy hill kind of a guy. Plus DDLF is one that rides on guts. Remember all those breaks in 2006 trying to hold on to his lead over Rasmussen. He seems to be one that can lead up the early climbs by himself.

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
Do you think they prepared for a mountain stages where Lance would be able to wheel-suck his way to a win because he had so much time on AC? Now, Lance will have to earn it if he is truly going to take it.

The shack had a bad day, but what can you do when Armstrong, Klöden and Leipheimer all flats at the wrong moment, and other gc favourites have no problems

You are going to lose time regardless.....

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Publicus said:
As the greatest tactical mind in the history of the sport, save the great tactical mind of a certain Mr. Lance Armstrong, I am not in the least bit worried about what will occur. Lance wins by 12 minutes!

Ok, in all seriousness, it's an interesting question. And frankly, it's actually a liberating situation for the entire Radio Shack team. They aren't that far out of contention (reminds me of the Giro when everyone pronounced Basso's race over) and they've got enough live dogs on their team to make their presence known and felt over the next two weeks.

Psychologically is where I wonder how they respond. They (along with a number of other GC candidates) seem to put a lot of stock in AC loses significant amounts of time (if not crashing out) today. That didn't happen. It will be interesting to see if they can put this behind them and race the race that is now in front of them (instead of the one they prepared for in their minds).

Yes, their team is brilliant and would likely be able to mount a series of attacks that coul potentially hurt AC in the mountains. However will JB be able to come up with such a tactical plan, he always uses the same tactics and they are not made to make up lost time on a better riders

Also today really showed that they should've taken Steegmans along

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Barrus said:
Yes, their team is brilliant and would likely be able to mount a series of attacks that coul potentially hurt AC in the mountains. However will JB be able to come up with such a tactical plan, he always uses the same tactics and they are not made to make up lost time on a better riders

Tactically, the best bet is to follow Saxo's lead in the mountains and isolate Contador. Forget about Shrek the Elder, the entire Radioshack squad will be working in Andy's service.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
saganftw said:
actually before LA punctured,he was in front of contador group,which was the plan...but he got some bad luck,its racing you cant blame anyone

He was overtaken at that point by the group consisting of Contie

scribe said:
Tactically, the best bet is to follow Saxo's lead in the mountains and isolate Contador. Forget about Shrek the Elder, the entire Radioshack squad will be working in Andy's service.

Based solely on last year, I don't think that is a plausible strategy, but maybe it's the only one they have. Jani is probably the best guy to try and assist Schleck, but I think he peaked for the Dauphine and will likely suffer in the final week.

warmfuzzies said:
This is going on my wall for the next 2 weeks. A bold prediction. I think after AC and Vino, Grivko is Astana's best climber.

Last year's Vuelta: Tiralongo 7th, Navarro 11th, Hernández 19th.

All 3 are pretty good climbers. DDLF has been the last man to lead Contador out on climbs in the early season races, and it was his contribution that set Contador up in the Algarve, dropping everyone but Machado (who obviously had a lot to show at that race, as it's probably the only time he'll race in his homeland this year). He's worn the mountains jersey at three GTs.

I don't think they have a SPECIAL backup squad, but then, there aren't any dominant superteams this year, especially now Fränk's out, which is good because it makes for better racing. It's not a backup squad to match Heras and Savoldelli riding for Armstrong, but it's pretty useful for anybody not weaned on the blue train generation.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
Based solely on last year, I don't think that is a plausible strategy, but maybe it's the only one they have. Jani is probably the best guy to try and assist Schleck, but I think he peaked for the Dauphine and will likely suffer in the final week.

If they can get some time back on Contador and Evans in the mountains, Armstrong can possibly make gains on the anyone else of significance in the ITT. Shrek alliance is really the best bet strategically for wearing down Contador.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Barrus said:
He was overtaken at that point by the group consisting of Contie

give credit where credit is due. Great coaching by Peter van Petegem and leadership by Vino. Smooth pacer Contador.
What a rider Spartacus is leading Andy. Fail by Shack? July 7. Still many kliks to go.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Goldberger said:
The shack had a bad day, but what can you do when Armstrong, Klöden and Leipheimer all flats at the wrong moment, and other gc favourites have no problems

Well, one thing you can do is chose better wheel / tire combinations! Not sure if that was a factor, but I think 4 RS guys flatted. I'd be interested to know if RS was riding different gear than everyone else.

eleven said:
Well, one thing you can do is chose better wheel / tire combinations! Not sure if that was a factor, but I think 4 RS guys flatted. I'd be interested to know if RS was riding different gear than everyone else.

RS was certainly on their deep-dish Bontrager tubulars.

Looked as though Contador was riding shallow rims. Were they box-section Ambrosio rims maybe?

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:

Jani assist Schleck? what race are you watching

scribe said:
If they can get some time back on Contador and Evans in the mountains, Armstrong can possibly make gains on the anyone else of significance in the ITT. Shrek alliance is really the best bet strategically for wearing down Contador.

I don't disagree with the concept. I just don't see Armstrong climbing with Contador. He's not looked good at any point this year climbing. Not at the Tour de Suisse. Not at Tour of California. Not at Gila. Not at Criterium. Not at Murcia. No where.

So how does a guy go from not being able to ride with the best, to know dropping the best two weeks later???? AC is looking for time on Cadel and other TT'ers. Andy is looking for time on Cadel and other TT'ers. It seems to me they are the more natural allies in the mountains. But that's just me.

A

Anonymous

Moose McKnuckles said:

Looked as though Contador was riding shallow rims. Were they box-section Ambrosio rims maybe?

With 27 mm Dugast tubulars.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:

Forgive my limited knowledge here. I ride the rims that came with my bike and can only dream of affording aero deep-dish carbon tubulars;)

Does riding deep-dish make you more prone to puncture? I assume everyone was on tubulars - I just don't get why the deepness would matter.

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Team RS is clearly stacked toward climbing -- I don't know where anyone got the idea that they'd be particularly dominant today. Who among them has ever been all that great on cobbles?

This does force LA into having to attack, and I expect it will finally make it clear he's not at all the same rider he was a few years back. Meanwhile, Andy & Cadel can afford to ride somewhat defensively against AC, and none of the real contenders are so far out that you can write them off.

All in all, a great setup for a more interesting race!

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
I don't disagree with the concept. I just don't see Armstrong climbing with Contador. He's not looked good at any point this year climbing. Not at the Tour de Suisse. Not at Tour of California. Not at Gila. Not at Criterium. Not at Murcia. No where.

So how does a guy go from not being able to ride with the best, to know dropping the best two weeks later???? AC is looking for time on Cadel and other TT'ers. Andy is looking for time on Cadel and other TT'ers. It seems to me they are the more natural allies in the mountains. But that's just me.

These guys aren't gonna hammer in every event they enter through the season. With the tight competition employing peaking techniques, (and bus mechanicals of course), the days of the Cannibal are long ago gone.

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
flicker said:
Great ride by Saxo, to bad about Frank. As much as I wanted to see Shack put time into Contador, obviously Contador and Vino were superior.
I still think the tour is between Lance and Alberto. It was not a Shack fail as there was no shack carnage.

I wonder how many people, especially the Shack, Astana, and BMC, are rethinking the strategy from yesterday.

These teams had had LA, LL, AK, AC, and Evans all far ahead of the Schrecks and about 5 guys that could have put the hammer down to make sure AS/FS didn't get back.

Instead they waited and let AS get back and not lose time on the others. Today, AS was more than happy to make time gains on AC/LA/etc... by having Cancellara drive it on the cobbles and not slow down for any flats or wrecks.

Perhaps after anothe 20 days we will see AS up in a position he would not have been in had they decided to drive the pace yesterday. AC/LA/CE were stoooooopid to wait.