• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Shameful Reporting

Is the point, the mistaken one, that Riis is no longer the recognised winner of the 1996 Tour, or that CN listens to his views and puts them in print, but you think he is talking rubbish?

Since the first point mute, it comes down to his view on Armstrong and his inability to win another Tour.
Riis is only voicing the same opinion that many here hold. There is no way he should be able to duel with the young guns.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I didn't notice anything I would consider shameful in the reporting or in what Riis said. The only thing I would question is his assertion that Lance can't hang with Frank. Other than that, what he said was pretty reasonable.

Sorry if this slightly off topic but I thought it was a bit naive to suggest that Contador, Armstrong and Wiggins would somehow forget about the Schlecks (Andy more so of course), unless Riis is just thinking about the odd stage victory.

Riis is also looking forward to a battle between Contador and Armstrong, with perhaps Team Sky's Bradley Wiggins thrown into the mix. He is hopeful that if those three concentrate on one another, the Schlecks could quietly go about their own business and take the win. “We can profit from that and ride our own race. It is wildly interesting.”

Always difficult to work out what is editorial and what has actually come from the person they are quoting.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
The only thing I found odd was the absence of comment that there will be no team time trial this year, a discipline that arguably allowed Armstrong to hold his Podium spot last year over Frank Schleck.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
CentralCaliBike said:
The only thing I found odd was the absence of comment that there will be no team time trial this year, a discipline that arguably allowed Armstrong to hold his Podium spot last year over Frank Schleck.

And which also killed the chances of a few others that might have podiumed too

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
crikey.. thats like feuntes and ferraris christmas card list..

now can we dump this thread in the clinic please.. :D

:D

if you want shameful reporting look at this article (I find the heading quite ironic).
Armstrong enjoys the speed

In general the amount of reporting and articles on lance makes me feel sick.

Cycling central is officially a joke.

Mike tomalaris made a statement yesterday which showed his lack of intelligence
Why would Astana not have radios in an event like this? They have cost Alby Davis a place on the podium!

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Bjarne Riis said:
“There are many more hills this year, the route is harder, and it will give Lance major problems. He must pull himself together to make the top-five,” according to Riis, who won the Tour in 1996.

+1 from me, Lance won't be on the podium this year.

I think Riis has it right that Lance won´t make the podium. I think he´ll be lucky to make the top five without a TTT, the added climbs and longer TT.

I don´t think however that Contador is focusing at all on Lance. He has said he considers Andy his main rival followed by a few others before Lance. I don´t see Contador being even remotely distracted from anything Lance or JB try to through at him, off or on the road.

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
fatandfast said:
Riis is a doper. Everything he does and says should be suspect. From what he ate for breakfast to where he will sleep tonight

Given the subject matter Riis is giving opinion on, I would say the fact he has used illicit substances makes his an ‘expert opinion’ ;)

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Night Rider said:
Given the subject matter Riis is giving opinion on, I would say the fact he has used illicit substances makes his an ‘expert opinion’ ;)

complete agreement. Riis was a good racer,he had a great skill set,while going uphill he could really punch it when he got out of the saddle. I can't stand the telling the "truth" thing. The truth would have been great but Adag,Riis and the rest all came clean once they were outed by another guy scribbling his life down on paper. I really did expect Roche to say something after there was a load on tiny clues about him that started surfacing. I also wished Zabel would have come out sooner,I am sure he and Vino swapped mixes before getting it right.

Bjarne's View

Shameful in that he is probably correct ? Most people would agree I think, but then again many people are expecting Armstrong to be better than last year if that's possible. Opinions from dopers so what ? David Millar has had an opinion on everything since he finally admitted his guilt and isn't it getting boring ! As for Zabel, he hardly came out did he ?

"I took it once and did not like it." mmmmmmmmm

Well, as the part about Riis winning the Tour is in bold, I guess the "shameful reporting" concerns his doping. Well, I like the fact he has come clean about it, unlike quite a few others. Even if it was just to save his career as a directeur sportif.
Whether he is rightfully considered a Tour winner, I don't know, but I have an inkling it was a fair fight.

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:
Everything he does and says should be suspect. From what he ate for breakfast to where he will sleep tonight

This comment would be more (or maybe equal) appropriate if it was intended for D. Millar

Whether or not Bjarne's analysis is correct, only time can tell.
I think we all agree, that Armstong will struggle to follow AS and AC in the mountains, but as we all know there are three spots on the podium.
The only difference this year, is the missing TTT. the number of uphill finishes hasn't changed.

Predicting is not my strongest side, so I might be wrong, but top 5 is definitely within reach.

A

Anonymous

Bike Boy said:
This comment would be more (or maybe equal) appropriate if it was intended for D. Millar

Whether or not Bjarne's analysis is correct, only time can tell.
I think we all agree, that Armstong will struggle to follow AS and AC in the mountains, but as we all know there are three spots on the podium.
The only difference this year, is the missing TTT. the number of uphill finishes hasn't changed.

Predicting is not my strongest side, so I might be wrong, but top 5 is definitely within reach.

Armstrong shouldn't be able to match AC and AS. All known laws of physics and biology suggest that. However, I wouldn't at all be surprised if he does. Laws of chemistry suggest that.

TRENDING THREADS