• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Shane Sutton - Team Sky coach

Page 33 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

IndianCyclist said:
IMO the issue Jess Varnish is one of abuse of authority by Sutton as he did not like what was said by her to the media.
A guy like Sutton while capable to understanding the issues of men like Tennant may not capable of understanding women or para-athletes. This is why he should have being in charge of the mens team only. This should have been the job of Brailsford and Cookson and they failed to see his limitations. The funding quota, the time scheduling of the track, the personnel all should have been separated under different administrators.
Having said that, success is not possible without a military style discipline which means a few bruised egos.

Frankly, I suspect it's a lot simpler than that. I just don't think Sutton - nor Brailsford - has any sincere interest in women's cycling. Likewise para-sports. Probably nothing except the Blue Riband events which cover them in reflect glory. I can sympathise in a way - I don't give a rat's ass about women's sport either (even though I participated at a reasonably high level once. I didn't then, either.) But then, I'm not involved in the management of said sport and I am not paid to do so.

Whatever comes out doesn't seem like it will matter to be honest. The peak of the storm has passed, and unless there is something very concrete and scandalous, 'poor governance and bullying' kinds of criticisms will be batted away with 'we've noted the findings; we take this very seriously; clearly we still have things to learn' blah blah blah.

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cycling/2017/04/12/british-cycling-performance-director-stephen-park-says-will/

Stephen Park, British Cycling's new performance director, says he will not prevent his riders from using Shane Sutton as a coach if they wish to continue do so, and provided the Australian is willing to help out. Park said he would likely turn to him for advice as well, arguing it would be "silly for me not to have some level of engagement with him" given his "incredible track record" as a coach.

"I think the thing that will probably change that most, I suspect, is as and when he's involved with a competing cycling team, where he probably will feel he's conflicted. And that would probably be the thing that would be the biggest trigger to move that on."

:rolleyes:

Re:

The Carrot said:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cycling/2017/04/12/british-cycling-performance-director-stephen-park-says-will/

Stephen Park, British Cycling's new performance director, says he will not prevent his riders from using Shane Sutton as a coach if they wish to continue do so, and provided the Australian is willing to help out. Park said he would likely turn to him for advice as well, arguing it would be "silly for me not to have some level of engagement with him" given his "incredible track record" as a coach.

"I think the thing that will probably change that most, I suspect, is as and when he's involved with a competing cycling team, where he probably will feel he's conflicted. And that would probably be the thing that would be the biggest trigger to move that on."

Win at all costs indeed. Not many consequences to poor behaviours now are there?

Sport has become particularly degraded by this sort of thing.

Re:

IndianCyclist said:
success is not possible without a military style discipline
Says who?

IndianCyclist said:
which means a few bruised egos.
Putting a person in their place doesn't have to mean running their self confidence into the ground.

Since when does success at sports require destroying people emotionally and confidentially??? Bot logic seems to dictate that people need to be destroyed before they can be successful, but why? Other similarly high performers in other industries aren't so emotionally unintelligent.

Re: Re:

Electress said:
The Carrot said:

Win at all costs indeed. Not many consequences to poor behaviours now are there?

As far as the world championships are concerned Team GB have lost an awful lot of their marginal gains. I wonder what happened? :cool:

thehog said:
Electress said:
The Carrot said:

As far as the world championships are concerned Team GB have lost an awful lot of their marginal gains. I wonder what happened? :cool:
Partly it's the Australians getting ready for the 2018 Commonwealth Games. The Federal Government won't let the AIS be embarassed on home soil. If you look at last years Olympics, the swim team is on the upswing again and the track team are getting back on track. I also noticed that Cam Meyer rejoining the track squad is already paing dividends.

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site

thehog said:
Electress said:
The Carrot said:

Clearly missing their cuddly care bear moments with Shane :D

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tennant-backs-british-cyclings-medal-or-nothing-culture-as-report-nears/

fmk_RoI said:
Robert5091 said:
Might not come out until after election and release of report into BC bullying etc
You have a source for that?

No source, but as Hodder's website have nothing on it (& him!), no reviews and this - https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/apr/29/shane-sutton-british-cycling-10-key-questions
"probably with a book deal somewhere along the way. Given his closeness to some of his former charges and colleagues, his elephantine memory – and the fact there are now a few scores to be settled – that could be an intriguing read once the libel lawyers have had their way with it."

Re:

budegan said:
Is it correct that the current theory is him being the source for the jiffy bag story?
Yes, that's the belief. Even though it also seems that the Jiffy bag story is the reason he wasn't able to return to BC. Hoist by his own petard, I believe the expression is.

Re the Hodder book. The publisher appears to have commissioned the book before the scandal broke. Not sure who the ghost was but a couple of names have been suggested to me. Unlike other recent cycling books, Hodder didn't announce the book in the trade newsletter. The appearance on distribution lists is probably a screw up: it's just holding data - generic name, generic page count, generic description - and would have been amended at some stage. Someone appears to have forgot to take it down after the book was either cancelled or postponed (like his bestie Dave B, Sutton's book could simply be postponed indefinitely, or he could have returned the advance - we don't know which). If you look through distribution lists long enough you'll find plenty of phantom books that haven't been taken down after they got canned: LeMond, Millar and more.

I e-mailed Hodder & Stoughton on Sutton's book and got the following back,

Many thanks for your email.

Unfortunately Shane Sutton’s book will not be published this month – there seems to have been an error with the feed to Amazon, thank you for flagging it.

Yours sincerely,

Fiona

Fiona Rose | Editor
Non-Fiction | Hodder & Stoughton | Carmelite House | 50 Victoria Embankment | London | EC4Y 0DZ

E: fiona.rose@hodder.co.uk

fmk_RoI said:
budegan said:
Is it correct that the current theory is him being the source for the jiffy bag story?
Yes, that's the belief. Even though it also seems that the Jiffy bag story is the reason he wasn't able to return to BC. Hoist by his own petard, I believe the expression is.

Re the Hodder book. The publisher appears to have commissioned the book before the scandal broke. Not sure who the ghost was but a couple of names have been suggested to me. Unlike other recent cycling books, Hodder didn't announce the book in the trade newsletter. The appearance on distribution lists is probably a screw up: it's just holding data - generic name, generic page count, generic description - and would have been amended at some stage. Someone appears to have forgot to take it down after the book was either cancelled or postponed (like his bestie Dave B, Sutton's book could simply be postponed indefinitely, or he could have returned the advance - we don't know which). If you look through distribution lists long enough you'll find plenty of phantom books that haven't been taken down after they got canned: LeMond, Millar and more.

Thanks mate, I thought that was the implication I read. Just as a point of discussion, what I don't understand about that though is why utterly screw his old BFF Wiggo, Brailsfraud, and Sky? I get why he'd want to stick it to BC, but why take down the others too?

Re:

yaco said:
Any coincidence that Gary Sutton is released, after Simon Jones is appointed High Performance Director of the Australian Track cycling Program ?
Coincidences happen all the time. No doubt Jones is making tough calls about the HPU but I very much doubt there is any link to the topic of this thread. Gary and Shane Sutton are chalk and cheese. Gary's end of coaching contract probably deserves its own thread it's so far removed from this one.

Gary is an uber nice guy with a great track record, very well respected and not a whiff of scandal. A class act. I wish him all the best for whatever he does in future.

budegan said:
Just as a point of discussion, what I don't understand about that though is why utterly screw his old BFF Wiggo, Brailsfraud, and Sky? I get why he'd want to stick it to BC, but why take down the others too?
That is one of the kinks in the theory and - as with the others - nobody tries to explain it away. Just ignore it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts