• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Shocker: Nr. 1 & 2 Worlds Cyclo Tabor test positive for EPO.

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Thu 11/03/2010 - 12:59 Pawel brothers and Kacper Szczepaniak have tested positive during the World Champion in Tabor. Poland won the gold and silver respectively in the promises.
The Szczepaniak dominated slightly more than one months ago in the Tabor cross the promises. The 20-year-old Pawel, who recently signed with Telenet Fidea, won for his younger brother Kacper one years.

But now it is revealed that the two Poles a helping hand have been taken by EPO.
browse.php

If the two are removed from the results, then our compatriot Tom Meeusen moves on to second place. The title would then go to the Frenchman Arnaud Jouffroy.

Hans Van Kasteren, team manager of Telenet Fidea, organizing a press conference at 18h http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/wielrennen/veldrijden/100311_broers_szczepaniak_positief

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
This makes me laugh!!!

I can only wonder what was running through Stybar's blood...or any of 'em for that matter.

So much for the "new generation" of cycling being clean!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
always great to see that the passport is working for the most part! Each one of these will make others think twice about doping and help the sport stay cleaner.

Stybar cannot be compared.

He's been very consistent throughout the season (I don't mean to claim he was not doped, I don't know).

The Szczepaniak were so inconsistent (mostly the oldest one) that I could only suspect them. It was very obvious during the last "ranking" races.

It's very unfair for Meeusen who fought hard to chase these dopers and finished worn out (fell on the planks) while Jouffroy managed his race very well nd finished strong. The race is distorted. But well it's logical to give the victory to the first non-positive.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
DAOTEC said:
Thu 11/03/2010 - 12:59 Pawel brothers and Kacper Szczepaniak have tested positive during the World Champion in Tabor. Poland won the gold and silver respectively in the promises.
The Szczepaniak dominated slightly more than one months ago in the Tabor cross the promises. The 20-year-old Pawel, who recently signed with Telenet Fidea, won for his younger brother Kacper one years.

But now it is revealed that the two Poles a helping hand have been taken by EPO.
browse.php

If the two are removed from the results, then our compatriot Tom Meeusen moves on to second place. The title would then go to the Frenchman Arnaud Jouffroy.

Hans Van Kasteren, team manager of Telenet Fidea, organizing a press conference at 18h http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/wielrennen/veldrijden/100311_broers_szczepaniak_positief

Great day for Polish athletes, then! A female Polish cross-country skier that participated in the Olympics was also busted today for EPO. Her name is Cornelia Marek. Three in one day!!! Great stuff!:eek:

sandman said:
always great to see that the passport is working for the most part! Each one of these will make others think twice about doping and help the sport stay cleaner.

According to the UCI thanks to the passport.

WTF! They wouldn't have tested these guys who finished 1/2 in the worlds if it wasn't for the passport???

Does the UCI think we are that stupid?? (Rhetorical question of course).

At least in the olympics they can catch Polish dopers without a passport.

frenchfry said:
According to the UCI thanks to the passport.

WTF! They wouldn't have tested these guys who finished 1/2 in the worlds if it wasn't for the passport???

Does the UCI think we are that stupid?? (Rhetorical question of course).

At least in the olympics they can catch Polish dopers without a passport.
Thank you, exactly what I came here to add. Doesn't make sense, or is it a standard line in EPO case press releases?

I don't follow cyclocross as much as I could, but this isn't shocking overall.

Yes, the UCI takes people for fools much of the time. Any chance they can get to tell us that they are on the ball and cleaning up the sport and catching the cheats, they well - even if it contradicts reality.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
I don't follow cyclocross as much as I could, but this isn't shocking overall.

Yes, the UCI takes people for fools much of the time. Any chance they can get to tell us that they are on the ball and cleaning up the sport and catching the cheats, they well - even if it contradicts reality.

What would you like them to say as an organisation who are attempting to clean up the sport whether it be as successful as you desire or not? Also for the benefit of those who may not have read as much as you could you supply a few examples where they have actually contradicted reality? No use shadow boxing them here Alp, come on & lay down a real punch on them. Im sure some of them lurk here. Go !!!

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
Kacper Szczepaniak has attempted suicide.

Susan

well that is just f'n great is not it. Where are the facilitators, where is McQuaid, some person has to look out for individuals who were never in the position to make informed decisions, were not informed adults.

Hope the guy gets his stuff together, and either comes back healthy, or leaves cycling better for the decision. Heads up Kacper :cool:

He seems OK.

After the news of the positive test I've read that his dad told Van Kasteren (Fidea manager) that his elder brother encouraged him and now it seems that a Polish coach encouraged both of them. Van Kasteren wants to trace him back.

Pawel seems to have willingly miss a team training with Baboco against his manager's will to go and see this coach.

I personnally feel sorry for Kacper, at least more than for Pawel. :(

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
After reading a bit on these guys I feel pretty sorry for them. I sincerely hope that they can get their lives in order and have a good support system to help them through this. Not condoning their actions, but their life situation makes this more easily understood. Good luck boys!

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Kerbdog said:
What would you like them to say as an organisation who are attempting to clean up the sport whether it be as successful as you desire or not? Also for the benefit of those who may not have read as much as you could you supply a few examples where they have actually contradicted reality? No use shadow boxing them here Alp, come on & lay down a real punch on them. Im sure some of them lurk here. Go !!!

No problem -
What would you like, something going back a few years or something from Pats time in charge?
I will also let you pick which heading, either: Corruption, Inefficiency or Deceit.

At 19 years old he just won't make the rational decisions about his health if encouraged and told that he can be a champion if he just takes this pill (or injection or whatever).

Yes he should take a sporting sanction, but the enablers must face criminal prosecution.

Successful doping (worlds podium), unsuccessful suicide. If I'd come that far, I'd be the other way around I hope, on both accounts.

A two-year ban to return at 21, to compete in the same youth category...shows you how short the penalties really are.

Long jail time for the coaches that facilitated the doping will be required. Omerta cannot be allowed to be maintained here.

A female Polish XC skier also got caught for doping at the Vancouver games. Maybe, hopefully the same source.

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
© The Shreks Ramifications ...

Mon, 2010-03-29 20:44

Pawel Szczepaniak admits to having taken EPO leading up to the U23 World Championships from a still unnamed drug source, but claims that at the time he thought he was taking vitamins. According to an interview with Het Laatste Nieuws, after his form dipped post-European Championships, where he placed second, he was worried with World Championships just around the corner. So when a guy approached him telling him, “I will make you World Champion,” he was intrigued.

Article- http://www.nieuwsblad.be/article/detail.aspx?articleid=DMF20100326_107

Sorry Susan, but not all of you can read it in Dutch so ´at your service CN´...

Sorry, daotec, but that is what online translating services are for

Why was the originally posted English text removed? Is it not allowed to translate articles properly or something..

Very naive, to accept "vitamins" from someone, so shortly before Worlds.
And, was this person undercutting the EPO prices, for the brothers to be able to afford it? I am not convinced they didn't know.
What a sad story about being poor Polish guys. Dozens of millions live that way, actually. And not just in Poland.
If sub-Western living standards were a pretext to crime (doping is crime), the world would be one big war zone.

Even if the brothers were tricked, why would their supplier sell them EPO, knowing it would ruin his reputation as supplier? Doesn't add up. Taking EPO is stupid, you know you'll get caught, if you use it to win. Giving EPO is as stupid, just a transaction, and you could end up in jail.
Or should we feel sorry with the poor soigneur, also earning only €250 on his part-time soigneur salary?

TRENDING THREADS