• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Should Contador retain his 2010 Tour Victory

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should Contador remain the 2010 Tour De France Victor?

• Other (can there really be another option?)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Cobblestoned said:
He finished le Tour in the shortest time - so he is the winner.

Difference to rivals is that he was caught and that Cologne-lab was so accurate.

:confused: :confused: :confused: Doesn't matter if he "finished le Tour in the shortest time", he didn't follow the rules he agreed to before lining up for the start. He doped. If he was riding a motorcycle would he still be given the trophy under your logic?

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
As any obstacle on the road, the dope test is a part of the game. If you fail you lose. Andy must be the winner. It's insane but as long as the top guys continue on their programs, this is the only solution.

As any wise man would suggest, if you want to fight doping, fight the dirty network. testing the athletes will always be essential, but it wont solve the problem.

Bike Boy said:
As any obstacle on the road, the dope test is a part of the game. If you fail you lose. Andy must be the winner. It's insane but as long as the top guys continue on their programs, this is the only solution.

As any wise man would suggest, if you want to fight doping, fight the dirty network. testing the athletes will always be essential, but it wont solve the problem.

I agree with this but decided to vote 'no winner' just on the basis it could send out some message. Still Pi**in in the wind though I know.

A

Anonymous

jae2460 said:
:confused: :confused: :confused: If he was riding a motorcycle would he still be given the trophy under your logic?

Why not? we let cancellara keep his flanders and roubaix wins :D

scribe said:
Those voting for Contador keeping his tour win reads like a who's who list of hippocrates.

Why would voting for Contador make me a hypocrite? I would prefer Contador as the tdf champion so i voted for him.

i do not accept the authority of the UCI on this since they are corrupt and not fighting it properly. I follow my own terms. ANdrew is clearly doped too, and i believe so are the rest of the top 10 so i dont care how what the UCI says on the matter, to me it would be wrong to take it away from AC.

Those are the terms i choose. I would be saying the same if Andrew had been able to steal an extra few minutes from Contador on stage 3 and won instead.

So where is the hypocrisy?

I voted for no winner, but thinking about it I should have voted "Other".

The "Other" being "WGAF because TdF history has meant nothing since 1991."

Seriously, I wish 1991-2010 records could be in italics and known as "the biochemical doping years". They mean nothing.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
because i'm obsessed with intellectual consistency, if i said yes, i'd have to acknowledge texas too...i simply can not fall this low :)D) and therefore it's easier to abstain.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
MarkvW said:
Who cares? It's over and done with!

Let ASO do whatever they want. My interest in the race terminated sometime during that stupid processional into Paris.

Ending that stupid last day processional is something to care about!

i agree prefer they race the last day, but if it means a shorter TdF by one day so be it.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Roland Rat said:

Seriously, I wish 1991-2010 records could be in italics and known as "the biochemical doping years". They mean nothing.

is 2010 the last year? i doubt it, but understand that 2011 has yet to proven.

and sure you meant " the UCI unofficially sanctioned biochemical doping years"
:D

Roland Rat said:

+1. It's a nonsense to declare Schleck the winner, what would that even mean? How many Tours de France will Jan Ullrich have on his palmares by this logic, would anyone ever propose giving him 2000, 2001 and 2003 or will that be conveniently forgotten about like 1996?

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
"Should" in reality? Whatever the rules say goes for the paper trail.

"Should" for me? You can't rerun the race that would have had utterly different dynamics, and reshuffling has become so common place, even with only half our eyes open, that I kinda stopped caring.

In general, I wished that if a podium spot becomes available through retroactive elimination, people should indeed move up a spot, but only if they can pass the exact same level of tests that triggered the elimination.

If they can, brilliant. If they can't, even if it is through no fault of the rider, say because we simply don't have the same amount of test samples left, or worse, any samples at all, than the spot should remain open.

With the fairly ad-hoc testing procedures we have in place, it is a mockery to eliminate and vilify the one you did scrutinize, but glorify the one that simply missed (most of the) testing points, and wasn't put under the same microscope.

I guess that makes me an "other". Option 2 or 3 depending on the above.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Strip him and no winner.

Much as Baby Schleck would like a TDF to his name, I don't think anyone - him included - would want to see him have one/won like this.

TRENDING THREADS