• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Should I buy a road race bike?

So cyclingnews asks whether I should buy a gravel bike, but my question is the other way around: Should I buy a road race bike?
Of course you cannot answer this, but maybe you can help me with my decision.
The routes around here on which I am riding usually involve a good deal of gravel, a little bit of forrest and sometimes a few cobbles. There are also lots of safe bike lanes, but first of all they are leading along rather frequented roads (not so fond of that) and secondly they are often not exactly great for rolling.
But... a road bike does hold its fascination. It's beautiful. And I love rolling and riding fast. Is it worth buying a bike for those reasons?
Well, I would not spend too much money on it anyway, so is it any good at all, if it's a rather cheap version?
How much gravel does a (not expensive) road bike withstand?

Reactions: SaddleHappy
But... a road bike does hold its fascination. It's beautiful. And I love rolling and riding fast. Is it worth buying a bike for those reasons?
Well, I would not spend too much money on it anyway, so is it any good at all ...

my 2p worth: if you have roads on which to ride it, you won’t regret buying a road bike, even a cheap one. I’ve owned a cheap road bike for nearly 15 years and it still gives massive pleasure and a completely different experience to riding, for example, a cross or a gravel bike on the road. Why? Weight and handling, plus gearing. A road bike at full tilt is (I imagine) like driving a Ferrari. You don’t get that anywhere else, except in a Ferrari, obvs. Buy a road bike, but not if you will spend more time taking it off road than on. You will love it if you use it for what it’s designed.

before you develop a false sense of my means, the road bike cost £400 in 2006, my cross was £300 (January sale) in 2017 and the gravel came as a treat gift last year: a Specialized Diverge for £999. I love them all and, as I am fortunate to divide my time between two places, there really is room for each.

Reactions: SaddleHappy
my 2p worth: if you have roads on which to ride it, you won’t regret buying a road bike, even a cheap one. I’ve owned a cheap road bike for nearly 15 years and it still gives massive pleasure and a completely different experience to riding, for example, a cross or a gravel bike on the road. Why? Weight and handling, plus gearing. A road bike at full tilt is (I imagine) like driving a Ferrari. You don’t get that anywhere else, except in a Ferrari, obvs. Buy a road bike, but not if you will spend more time taking it off road than on. You will love it if you use it for what it’s designed.

before you develop a false sense of my means, the road bike cost £400 in 2006, my cross was £300 (January sale) in 2017 and the gravel came as a treat gift last year: a Specialized Diverge for £999. I love them all and, as I am fortunate to divide my time between two places, there really is room for each.

Thank you :) For now I have indeed given up on the idea, or let's say I've pushed the decision into the future. I recently went "home", rode a bit on the Dutch side and in the border region and enjoyed the roads there... thinking, if I lived here, it would be worth it. But I really ride a lot of gravel, that's where the nice landscape is around here, and if I travel somewhere it's easier to rent a bike there. But maybe I'll even move, I don't know right now.

I love my Specialized Crosstrail. It's a gravel bike that is also fast on the road. I bought it second-hand, nearly new. Very, very good value for money. Enough people who are buying a brand new bike, then hardly ever using it.

For my daily commute (50 km...), I have a Koga - more upright position, which is better for my neck.

Nothing beats a race bike on the road, especially if you get the right size and set it up so your a balanced correctly (many dont). You'll really notice it on the descents with sharp handling around corners. CX bikes have a higher centre of gravity and gravel bikes have longer wheelbase.

All three can be ridden on road or off (with a bit of care and the right tyres)

Mar 22, 2017
Visit site
It depends if you are going to do road races or crits? If you are doing neither, I would opt for a gravel bike. My Trek SL6 maintains most of it's road geometry of teh Emonda. Of course the frame is a littlle bit chunkier but I can put 28 inch or 26 on them and besides some slack in the geometry, there isn't much difference. Yeah, it might look a little odd with extra clearance and have a couple more kilos but the engine is YOU. The cyclocross is an option. you need to find the geometry that you feel comfortable on.

If you were serious about each discipline and had racing schedules for both, I would have two different bikes. personally. I have a mtn bike and my gravel bike with 28 inch although it can accomodate 44's.

Reactions: BlueRoads

TRENDING THREADS