• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Should Sky have waited when Valverde fell?

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should Sky have waited?

• Normally not but since they caused it, yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
You just have to love the poll questions.

Be gentle when the leader crashes ????? I have images of the pelaton armed with sponges and bandages helping valverde up :D

The last one too is a bit much.....seen as they caused the crash.

Thats a leading question in anyones book and if people answered that without seeing the crash it could sway the results.

They didnt cause the crash. The guy behind who veered left and touched wheels with another rider caused the crash. Thats what the video replay shows.

Nobody had to veer to get away from a sky rider.
Sky didn't block anyone they upped the pace and were going away on the attack.
Yes they moved across the road but they were enough distance in front to make this move safely.

So really this question ought not to be in the poll at all.

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Sky doesn't have to wait, it's part of racing. But there is a reason the peloton has developed certain unwritten rules and the most important one is to keep the riders in a peloton safe and limit the risk of crashes.
When riders know that these rules are followed there will be less stress and fighting at he front when there is still 70k to go and nothing will happen
anyway.

I think there is a tendency in recent years that with less respect for these unwritten rules there is also an increase of crashes, they happen at strange places in the race and quite often there are a lot of riders involved.

Yesterday was just another example, the break couldn't be caught anymore and trying to split the peloton in echelons is part of racing but when the leader is down they should realize they ride in the same peloton with guys from movistar for 3 weeks and both teams want to stay on their bikes so some cooperation is necessary.

hrotha said:
Sky doesn't back Sky:
http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290,26887_8007962,00.html
In the last section, Ljungqvist implies they would have stopped if they had known Valverde had crashed. Which is, of course, very hypocritical of him.

Yes, its a pretty silly comment.

I doubt Flecha would have known he went down for the first 90 seconds or so, as he wasn't on the front row of the crash, but I imagine that information flowed through pretty quickly after that.

Glad to see people have calmed down and the suggestions of causing the crash are now falling away, so we can have a sensible discussion about waiting per ce.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Many moons ago, I had heard a commentator say the reason why one didn't attack the leader if he crashed was because the battle was 20 teams to 1. Hence impossible odds to overcome since obviously all teams would have an interest in attacking the leader.

I assume this reasoning is now obsolete.

Waterloo Sunrise said:

I guess 7 of 8 spanish Ex pros agree with 47% of voters here.

I thought it was kinda funny when one of the norwegian commentators talked about how nice and wide the road was, meaning no crashes just a few minutes before a crash happened.

They thought it was right to keep going by sky by the way.

Personally, I'm kinda thinking if you manage to fall of your bike on a road as good as that, you get what you deserve. But that is just my evil side.:p

From the video it looks like CAS? sverves into a movistar rider and stuff happens. If I remember correct, CAS stuck his hand into his wheels during the tour. Perhaps he has a tendency to stop thinking at certain times and bad stuff happens?

But I'm no long time cycling fan, so I'm heavily influenced by the commentators views of the event.

edit: Anyone else find it interesting that the helicopter pictures cut in just too late to really see what happened? Media loves to create controvercies, so It would'nt surprise me if the helicopter footage is available but unpublished because of the debate the accident created.

ToreBear said:
I guess 7 of 8 spanish Ex pros agree with 47% of voters here.

I thought it was kinda funny when one of the norwegian commentators talked about how nice and wide the road was, meaning no crashes just a few minutes before a crash happened.

They thought it was right to keep going by sky by the way.

Personally, I'm kinda thinking if you manage to fall of your bike on a road as good as that, you get what you deserve. But that is just my evil side.:p

From the video it looks like CAS? sverves into a movistar rider and stuff happens. If I remember correct, CAS stuck his hand into his wheels during the tour. Perhaps he has a tendency to stop thinking at certain times and bad stuff happens?

But I'm no long time cycling fan, so I'm heavily influenced by the commentators views of the event.

Chris Anker Sørensen isn't even in the race. Apparently it was Nicki Sørensen who crashed first (because of Sky)

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Interesting how Piti states that "I’m not cross that I lost the lead because of this, but because there was no respect.” Well, cheating through doping, dragging your heels through the courts and CAS, not owning up to the facts of the case and admit any guilt, ensuring that the peloton and cycling gets a lot of negative publicity, well, that hardly fosters respect.
Karma?

hektoren said:
Interesting how Piti states that "I’m not cross that I lost the lead because of this, but because there was no respect.” Well, cheating through doping, dragging your heels through the courts and CAS, not owning up to the facts of the case and admit any guilt, ensuring that the peloton and cycling gets a lot of negative publicity, well, that hardly fosters respect.
Karma?

Clinic ------->

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Regardless of should or shouldn't, Movistar think Sky should have waited, so we can standby for two weeks of Movistar attacking any time Froome takes a pee.

hektoren said:
Karma?
FYI your post is outdated. I suggest your read the previous posts and you'll find out how silly your post is at this stage.

hektoren said:
Karma?
For the nth time, a different set of morals applies to those Clinic issues in a peloton where a doping culture is widespread - which was certainly the case in 2004, when the blood was stored, and in 2006, when the thing was made public, and most likely right now, when Piti is saying that. It's not "cheating", it's "having a level playing field" and "doing what is required as a pro".

The Sheep said:
Sky shouldn't have waited, but they also shouldn't pretend they didn't know Valverde had crashed

It took a little time for the television viewers to see the sceene and identify the victims on their 40'' HD 100HZ televisions, ably assisted by commentators. The DS' at most have small screens, a spotty connection, and they have to make sure all their guys are OK, plan strategy, etc.

Expecting them to get the full picture in a split second seems a bit too much.

And the riders have to focus on whats ahead, they will not get enough information to identify who is down etc by looking back for a second. Our minds don't work like that.

Ps. Remember what lack of attention meant for Cancellara in the Olympics. You can move your eyes, and head but your mind needs to keep looking in your direction of motion.

LaFlorecita said:
Chris Anker Sørensen isn't even in the race. Apparently it was Nicki Sørensen who crashed first (because of Sky)

OK, thanks. Then my theory would either be Sørensens having this problem, Danes having this problem, or that sometimes everyone looses focus and bad stuff happens.

As a Norwegian, I think this is more of a Danish problem.:D

The Sheep said:
I wasn't talking about a split second.

I know, but how much time can a DS be allowed to understand the consequenses of a decision, while under competing workloads? Remember that they are active participants in the race, they are not sitting in a studio commenting, or in their livingrooms watching.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
ToreBear said:
I know, but how much time can a DS be allowed to understand the consequenses of a decision, while under competing workloads? Remember that they are active participants in the race, they are not sitting in a studio commenting, or in their livingrooms watching.
Never heard of 'Radio Corsa', 'Race Radio' in English?

Sky, Katusha and BMC have new Spanish friends in the peloton.

If Sky caused the crash, they shouldn't have taken advantage of it.

Valverde should have got on his bike and straight back into the peloton instead of standing around for so long. That's why he lost the time, his own stupidity being stood around waiting rather than getting straight back into the race.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
bobbins said:
Valverde should have got on his bike and straight back into the peloton instead of standing around for so long. That's why he lost the time, his own stupidity being stood around waiting rather than getting straight back into the race.
Did you ever fall on the road at 60K, hell even 40K per hour? In case you did you should know how stupid this remark is.

Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Never heard of 'Radio Corsa', 'Race Radio' in English?

Sky, Katusha and BMC have new Spanish friends in the peloton.
It's interesting to note that Movistar doesn't seem to have many friends outside the Spanish peloton, and that apparently Sky is rubbing more and more teams the wrong way.

Too bad Barredo and Rui Costa aren't here. Things could get interesting.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
bobbins said:
If Sky caused the crash, they shouldn't have taken advantage of it.

Lol, I think we need this one bookmarked for post of the year.

TRENDING THREADS