• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Should the first time on a trainer feel/sound a little different?

Jan 13, 2021
Visit site
So I finally got the right tool to install the new cassette, and I got the bike hooked up to the trainer for the first time. Should it feel or sound any different than it does off the trainer? I just got the bike last spring, so I'm new to this. Never used a trainer before. I'm sure I can't quite explain it, but it kind of feels and sounds like it's shifting gears when it's just riding normal. That kind of transition sound/feel when you switch gears for a second. I don't see anything rubbing, and it doesn't sound like metal on metal. Any way for me to make sure I have the cassette installed correctly, spaced right, anything else? I don't want to ruin something on the bike because I installed it wrong. What else can I try to explain? Does this sound at all normal for a first time on a trainer? Maybe a trainer just feels/sounds a little different than riding out on the road? Maybe not having the sound and feel of the road makes a difference? Maybe being in my basement affects the sound? Thanks for any thoughts.

So I finally got the right tool to install the new cassette, ... Thanks for any thoughts.
-----------------------
If the chain is worn, that might be the problem - chain not meshing precisely with new cassette.
Try pulling the chain away from the large front chainring at the most forward position, and let us know how far it moves.
The chainrings might also be worn - look at their shape for any indication of 'shark tooth'.
All those pieces 'wear together' and adding a new piece can disrupt how they work.

Jan 13, 2021
Visit site
That makes some sense too. Maybe I'll try to get a picture of the chain and you can tell me if that should be replaced after a six month season.

Chain checker will work..there are diagrams available online that show what cog teeth should look like in good or worn condition. I don't use them, instead I replace the chain and cassette every 6-8 months depending on performance and mileage and type of riding. The chain and cassette wear together and in theory you could replace only the worn parts..but Campy, Shimano and Sram all make buying individual cogs impossible..and w 11,12 speed chain width..just replacing it is the best..if it's jumping and hopping around..that's bad but imagine if you are out of the saddle and the chain skips..@90% of the time you are going down..on a trainer if you are in the saddle less dangerous.
trainers and outdoor riding have significant differences to your body and bike..first is evaporation and wind cooling. With nothing blowing on your body you will be dripping in no time..the stuff that comes out of your body is super corrosive to your bike and it's parts..that means binder bolt,stem hardware everything that gets rained on from your sweat needs to be cleaned and dried regularly..
a small can can help..and if this is your first time on a trainer,do not listen to anyone telling you rollers are head and shoulders better..both are good,but it's easier to crash on rollers until you get experience..
do lots of drills to keep a quiet upper body, generate leg speed,proper hand and ask position..

Agreed that you need to check the length of your chain, they wear faster than people realise. If so, I have two questions.

How tight is the cassette? It should be tight enough that there's absolutely no play between cogs, this will give you noisy shifting, rough pedaling and the cogs will bite into the freehub body.

Is this a brand new cassette? If it's straight out of the box the cassette will be bone dry. A VERY light wipe down (leave Zero excess!) with some chain lube will help get rid of pedaling noise and that feeling of the chain against every tooth.

Jan 13, 2021
Visit site
Maybe that's all it is then. Completely new to biking last spring. Brought my bike in for a spring tune-up. LBS grabbed what I assume was a chain checker and said a new chain was needed, so maybe new chain needed and brand new cassette were a bad combination. No skipping, but just doesn't seem to get all of the way into the hardest to pedal gear. Functions, but always feels like it's trying to click into gear still. Other gears feel kind of hit and miss where I'm riding on zwift and I'll switch into one gear and it feels like it is right and I switch up or down and it doesn't feel right again. Never noticed this when riding outdoors, but again, wind and road noise and nature noise and traffic noise, so maybe it's just from riding indoors. Not sure. Waiting to get the bike back after the tune-up with a new chain, but found out they can't get the same tire to replace a worn rear tire, so trying to figure that out now. I'll put those questions in a different post though. :)

TRENDING THREADS