• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

should the TdF make the 4 jersey's prize money equal?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
should the TdF make the 4 jersey's prize money equal? €450,000 for each.

and in doing so make the competition much more exciting!

The Maillot Juane would still be the most prestigious, but the other 3 would have more competition and probably make the racing more exciting over the 20 stages.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
No, all jerseys/awards besides the yellow jersey and points classification have become a joke.

With all due respect to the white jersey, but you just win this by getting a good overall classification(if you're under 25)

With that said, €450000 prize money to win the TdF is a pretty low number considering it's the biggest annual sport event... Compare that to tennis or football =/

I'd say make it €5000000 for the winner of the TdF(prize money is always divided between the whole team) and €500000 for the other jerseys/awards...

May 26, 2010
Visit site
BrindSurch said:
to be honest I don't think they are driven by prize money as the top guys will get huge bonus and sponsorship money

no but it might make the 'non top guys' try harder and make the race more interesting with more risks taken.

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
No, all jerseys/awards besides the yellow jersey and points classification have become a joke.

With all due respect to the white jersey, but you just win this by getting a good overall classification(if you're under 25)

With that said, €450000 prize money to win the TdF is a pretty low number considering it's the biggest annual sport event... Compare that to tennis or football =/

I'd say make it €5000000 for the winner of the TdF(prize money is always divided between the whole team) and €500000 for the other jerseys/awards...

............. since when did Tour de France become the biggest annual sporting event in the world across all sports.

I mean it's one of the bigger ones but calling it the biggest is just stupid.

Biffins said:
............. since when did Tour de France become the biggest annual sporting event in the world across all sports.

I mean it's one of the bigger ones but calling it the biggest is just stupid.

It gets called that all the time.

It has the biggest crowds, the biggest impact outside sport, costs the most to run, has apparently (though i dont trust these numbers) the largest viewership numbers for anual sporting events. (obviously a few non annual sporting events get more) + takes place over a bigger area than most sporting events.

Its always been called the biggest annual sporting event and i think thats justified.

El Pistolero said:

Where are you going to get 5 million from.

450 000 is a very small ammount compared to other sports, especially considering how much tougher the tdf is but the winners of the tdf get good contracts these days (how much does albert get at astana?)

May 26, 2010
Visit site
saganftw said:
its getting too far with this equall BS,you want it to be like tennis?

I want to see a lot more risks being taken, by the lesser teams. Quickstep had to do that this year because Boonen wasn't racing and their efforts made the tour more interesting than just riding for Boonen.

Tennis is about the sexes getting equal payment....this is about making categories within the race more attractive to take racing risks for. Take your mind of balls and women and think whether it would make more riders ride for the jersey's than now?

Benotti69 said:
I want to see a lot more risks being taken, by the lesser teams. Quickstep had to do that this year because Boonen wasn't racing and their efforts made the tour more interesting than just riding for Boonen.

Tennis is about the sexes getting equal payment....this is about making categories within the race more attractive to take racing risks for. Take your mind of balls and women and think whether it would make more riders ride for the jersey's than now?

its a good idea. Wouldnt work for green jersey, that will remain the same. Also considering the money gets given to the whole team, you may increase the prize mone by a lot, but to the riders it will still be a smaller ammount. i think giving more money to the combativity award would be the best way to spend it.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
its a good idea. Wouldnt work for green jersey, that will remain the same. Also considering the money gets given to the whole team, you may increase the prize mone by a lot, but to the riders it will still be a smaller ammount. i think giving more money to the combativity award would be the best way to spend it.

i threw it out as an idea to see if others could better it or offer alternatives.

The combat one is a good idea, but actually make it a jersey:cool:

Benotti69 said:

you cannot compare MJ with green jersey or even white...for MJ you have to be the best,for green you have to put effort for final 300 meters,for white you just have to be young and dont ask me to start about team classification...there are enough threads about how ridiculous it is

to sum up,no sponsor would ever paid the same for jerseys that are so far from spotlight than others...if you somehow force them to pay equally you can end up with nothing

Benotti69 said:
Tennis is about the sexes getting equal payment

which is fundamentaly stupid idea,because no matter how you perform (how entertaining your game is,not how far you get in tournament),you get paid the same ...but this is not tennis forum,so sorry for my rant

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:

The Maillot Juane would still be the most prestigious, but the other 3 would have more competition and probably make the racing more exciting over the 20 stages.

i think the only prize money should be for the MJ. the other "winners" should get a 1-year membership in the jelly of the month club.

erader

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:

Why not pay every finishing place the same amount of money and make the race more exciting? Think of all the competition for every single finishing position! In fact, why not hold La Grande Boucle in conjunction with the Tour and pay the women the same as the men to add excitement? To add an element of fairness to all the new excitement, pay all the crew, officials, mechanics, and police the same amount as all of the riders.

Not only should the MJ not command a greater payout than any of the other riders, but everyone involved in the Tour should make exactly the same amount of money. Of course the MJ would still be the most prestigious, as you say. It just wouldn't be tainted by money and greed.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
No.

Prize money should stay as it is. They could improve the size of the trophies, however.

What they really need to do is amend the best young rider category: limit it to those under 25 riding their first Tour. If you win, you win. If you don't, you've broken your Tour "maiden" so to speak and are better for the experience.

tifosa said:
No.

Prize money should stay as it is. They could improve the size of the trophies, however.

What they really need to do is amend the best young rider category: limit it to those under 25 riding their first Tour. If you win, you win. If you don't, you've broken your Tour "maiden" so to speak and are better for the experience.
This just in: El Fares, winner of the white jersey.

Nah, it's fine as it is.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Lots of people participate in sports events because of the size of the trophies. The larger the trophies, the harder the riders will train. Making the trophies larger, and offering more trophies, would add to the competition and excitement of the Tour, helping to draw a bigger audience. I'm surprised the organizers haven't thought of that.

TRENDING THREADS