• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Should Theo Bos be suspended for this?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
180mmCrank said:
and fortunately no one was too badly hurt.
Nuff said I think

"Impey remained on the ground for 20 minutes before getting back on his bike to cross the finish line.

He was taken to the hospital in Alanya where the doctors reported a fracture of the third disc of his lumbar vertebra, a micro-fracture of his neck, facial trauma, a few broken teeth and a deep cut in his lips.

Impey will remain in the hospital under observation for 24 hours."

I'm still not convinced it was intentional. It does look as though he's grabbing Impeys shirt and not just holding his hand on it but that can easily be explained by a grip reflex.

You can see him putting his hand on Impeys shoulder to try and prevent being pushed into the barrier but then as he starts to fall the natural reflex is to grab on to something. That's completely natural. You can see the same reflex in a newborn baby.

So what I'm saying is that the fact that he did grab on to Impeys shirt is in itself not proof of anything. I would rather say that out of the two possibilities the reflex one is by far the most likely because the other option would entail someone willingly causing a crash involving himself which would be incredibly sensational.

Occams razor on this one would firmly support it being an accident.

In my 25 years of following pro cycling I have never seen anything like this. It is just unconscionable that a professional rider would be so foolish and so negligent to do such a thing. Whomever said this looks like a bad Cat 3 or Cat 4 finish is right. There have been plenty of stupid crashes through the years from bad judgment, but never anything like this.

Crashing other riders due to poor riding has happened, several times. Going from memory, Djamolodin Abdujaparov made a habit of crashing himself, and sometimes others. And here are some of the worst, but never have I seen someone grab someone else's jersey out of panic (or otherwise) and not let go until they had both crashed to the asphalt.

In the 2003 rain soaked Giro Mario Cippolini was crashed by Issac Galvis while going around a corner and both went into the barriers. Isaac nodded in acknowledgment of his mistake when Mario shook his finger at him.

In the 2002 Giro Francesco Casagrande foolishly rode Freddie Garcia into the barriers on an uphill finish and was banned from the race. But Casagrade had both hands on the handlebars and stated they tangled while Garcia was trying to pass him on the inside. Casagrande was in 4th position and contending for GC at that time. they tossed him anyway. Still, he didn't grab the guy's jersey.

In I believe the 1996 Giro two riders were in a heated argument on a remote climb when one of them tried to nudge the other off the road. It didn't happen, but he was immediately banned after the stage. However, he did keep his hands on the handlebars the entire time.

I have never once seen anyone do what Theo did. Not once. Whether it be from subterfuge or total negligence, there is no room for actions like this in the sport.

BikeCentric said:
"Impey...was taken to the hospital in Alanya where the doctors reported a fracture of the third disc of his lumbar vertebra, a micro-fracture of his neck, facial trauma, a few broken teeth and a deep cut in his lips. Impey will remain in the hospital under observation for 24 hours."

Ouch! So I guess he was hurt. :eek:

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Come on guys, have most of you not even raced before? Theo Bos is a highly experienced top level track rider, meaning this dude can handle a bike like no other in the peloton. If you are getting squeezed, one might put on their brakes or sometimes push the rider in front of you by the behind, not reach forward and grab one by the shoulder.

He clearly was not getting squeezed as he was behind Impey and accelerates up to him to grap him by the shoulder. I suspect Boss was mad at Impey for moving over on him before or something. A really low move and yes he should get suspended and fired for this.

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
Power13 said:
Not only should he receive a suspension, he should be charged with assault.

Unbelievable.

I've got to be honest with you, it's disappointing. He was doing so well thus far in his fledging road career but now, sadly, I've got to agree with the majority of people here.

It looked deliberate, and that's just not cricket.

Cheers
Greg Johnson

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunate accident

It was difficult to see from the original post, but the slowed down version leads me to be more convinced that it was not intentional. No-one in their right mind would throw a person in front of their own bike knowing that they would come down as well. Don't forget they were doing 60-70km/hr and you would also come off pretty badly. I am sure Bos came down as well.

I think that Bos tried to go through as the barriers opened up, and then realised that they were closing in again. He originally tried to put his hand on Impeys shoulder to let him know he was there, and when he realised that the gap was closing, tried to push Impey ahead out of the way. If you look at the arm action it is pushing forward, not pulling across. You can also see the riders in front freewheeling, so Impey could have been braking at the same time.

Impey must have been unbalanced and it was enough to tip him off.

I would be interested to hear their side of the story.

Nevertheless, a bad accident and I hope they all recover quickly.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
As sprinter points out above, Bos is a very experienced track racer, having won multiple world and national championships in the Match Sprint and I believe Kieran. He absolutely knows how to handle being squeezed, and has spent a large part of his racing career up against the boards. There is no way he just freaked out and grabbed some random jersey. Hell, he wasn't even getting squeezed that bad. He could have easily backed off and avoided the whole mess.

Still, even if no official action is taken against him, I wouldn't want to be him on the road in the next few months. Justice will be served, whether the right way, or the "pump in the front wheel" way :p .

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
davidg said:
It was difficult to see from the original post, but the slowed down version leads me to be more convinced that it was not intentional. No-one in their right mind would throw a person in front of their own bike knowing that they would come down as well. Don't forget they were doing 60-70km/hr and you would also come off pretty badly. I am sure Bos came down as well.

I think that Bos tried to go through as the barriers opened up, and then realised that they were closing in again. He originally tried to put his hand on Impeys shoulder to let him know he was there, and when he realised that the gap was closing, tried to push Impey ahead out of the way. If you look at the arm action it is pushing forward, not pulling across. You can also see the riders in front freewheeling, so Impey could have been braking at the same time.

Impey must have been unbalanced and it was enough to tip him off.

I would be interested to hear their side of the story.

Nevertheless, a bad accident and I hope they all recover quickly.

Sorry, but Bos is now junk.
Check out McEwen's twitter link. Even the most ardent Bos fan can't argue with this...it is a sling. The outcome seemed to perfectly match the intention. Or, maybe Bos thought he could put Impey into the barriers and stay up himself.

This is madison technique....you can see the force Bos puts into the sling and....given his track experience.....he knows exactly when to let go! Or when not to if he wants to knock out someones teeth.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5Foelj89nY&feature=email

I say......Welcome to Pro-road Bos.......now take a shower......BAN.

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
kickingfred said:
Sorry, but Bos is now junk.
Check out McEwen's twitter link. Even the most ardent Bos fan can't argue with this...it is a sling. The outcome seemed to perfectly match the intention. Or, maybe Bos thought he could put Impey into the barriers and stay up himself.

This is madison technique....you can see the force Bos puts into the sling and....given his track experience.....he knows exactly when to let go! Or when not to if he wants to knock out someones teeth.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5Foelj89nY&feature=email

I say......Welcome to Pro-road Bos.......now take a shower......BAN.

At last we agree, yes it was a sling. I just choose to think that anyone with half a brain would sling a rider out of the way and not into his own wheel.

Haven't checked out Robbies twitter, but as we all know he is a saint and always sprints in a straight line.

I am not saying that Bos' move was good, I am just saying it wasn't a deliberate act.

dimspace said:
ok.. i was looking at this and couldnt decide, so i slowed it down, zoomed in... and for me no question..

guy should be banned for life and face criminal charges...
then again i hate to think that he did intentionally do it.. who knows.. my gut says hes a nutter and should be banned

loading to youtube now..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8K_7bJQaaI

Nice clip.

The UCI has got to see that slowed down/ zoomed video. Bos has got to be at least suspended. I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, but even if it wasn't he needs to be suspended for the pure stupidity of that move. You just can't throw your fellow riders around like that in the bunch. Bos, use your shoulder and elbow - you're not on the track anymore, dude.

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
BTW, this is from the race report on Cyclingnews.com:

"The panel of UCI commissaires watched the TV replay several times but chose not to take action against Bos for his involvement in the accident as it was unclear whether or not he did it aggressively."

Not convinced myself. Surely they should have given him at least one of those 30 cent, erm, I mean, 100 Swiss francs, fine.

Cheers
Greg Johnson

Even if it wasn't purposeful and just negligent, there is no room in the sport for riders who make such an incredibly stupid and outright dangerous error in judgment. Imagine if a "mistake" like this happened once a week? Or say, to a top name like Contador, Lance or Sastre mid-way through the Tour, or Giro?

If Bos isn't suspended by the UCI, it wouldn't shock me at all if someone else finds a way to keep him from racing for a while. Would you want someone like this near you in a 60kph field sprint?

Glad to hear Robbie speak up on the issue.

And let's not forget about Darryl Impey here. Judging by the report on his injuries, it's going to be months before he fully recovers, if he ever completely does. He did everything right and nothing wrong, and in a matter of seconds he went from being a great rider with a promising career, to one who may never race again. :(

Impey just posted on his website and seems in good spirits, though he remains nearly immobilized flat on his back and in some pain, with broken bones and stitches all over his face.

Here's his sitewhere he tells what happened, calling Bos a "true chophead" and he plans on going to the UCI about it, and even confronting Bos directly. He does not mince his words. You can also find his e-mail address on there, someone is obviously helping him sift through his e-mail and write his notes.

He says he'll be out of the hospital probably on Tuesday, but will be on a stretcher as he can't even sit up. He seemed hopeful about riding in the Giro, but I think that's more than a little optimistic.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
W.t.f.?

I watched this video no less than 20 times looking for some kind of sane explanation for Bos' actions and could see none! I don't know what the judges saw/didn't see.:(:(:(

A

Anonymous

well lance has popped up this morning and demanded a ban, robbie is still saying accident, darril seems pretty sure in his head..

watched the slow version again this morning...

im 100% in my head now.. ban him... if not ive got a pretty good idea the fans may deal out there own justice on a mountain stage somewhere...
spitting belgians will be the least of his worries...

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
... if not ive got a pretty good idea the fans may deal out there own justice on a mountain stage somewhere...
spitting belgians will be the least of his worries...

We don't need this sort of attitude in our sport, no matter what we might feel about the incident.

Keep these sort of d###head comments to yourself please.

A

Anonymous

davidg said:
We don't need this sort of attitude in our sport, no matter what we might feel about the incident.

Keep these sort of d###head comments to yourself please.

erm.. did i say i had that attitude or that i would do it... NO!

unfortunately it is a fact, there are members of the cycling community, wether we like it or not, that will have the opinion that bos should be banned.. people at the side of the road do sometimes take matters into there own hands..

for you or i, that may mean booing, waving angrily at him if he passes our position.. for others that could mean spitting, shouting or the abuse getting more physical...

im not saying i approve, nor did i say i would take part.. but its a fact, so not a *** comment ta.. ;)

A

Anonymous

i think the slo mo for me is pretty conclusive..

would be damn hard to argue in court that he didnt intend to send the guy flying...

sick, or stupid.. hes one of the two... possibly both...

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
My theory: Bos tries to pass Impey on the left. There is no room, and he goes to fast. Then the reflex of a track rider (no brakes!) tries to slow down by holding him to Impey, now he steers with 1 hand, loses balance -> fals -> reflex: grabs.

Don't believe anybody could do something like this intentional. It's against all instincts

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
atmo, bos has more than enough track savvy to know how to get out of this situation without resorting to the equivalent of assault on a fellow pro. and even if he couldn't avoid a crash, in what world is it ok to 'instictively' grab the race leader to save your own a*rse? how many times has bos hit the boards during his track career? did he grab the nearest jersey every time he thought he might crash? if nothing else, it shows bos to be a coward and unwilling to 'take it like a man'. the uci should ban him. daryl impey should start legal proceedings against him.