• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Question Should triathletes be allowed on bikes?

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Wow, QR operation is pretty simple (or so I thought).

Maybe after they get their QRs figured out, they can work on having a cadence over 70 and learning to climb hills (hint, get the f*ck off your aero bars).

richwagmn said:
Wow, QR operation is pretty simple (or so I thought).

You thought wrong. They often pop open on their own during the night. To be safe they need to be checked every day--sometimes twice a day.

While cyclists talk about how everyone falls over once when they start using clipless pedals. Triathletes talk about how everyone suffers at least one quick release mishap when they start triathlon. It's a different world.

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Yes, typical tri-hards.

They have a funny guy over there though, who posted a response "I took both my skewers out, it saved me about 221.78 grams. Weight is everything, am I wrong or am I wrong" That made me laugh!

PS, I going to start a thread over in CN Bikes & Gear Forum about how to get rid of those damn lawyer tabs without destroying the frame ...

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I cleaned my bike yesterday and took the wheels off for a good scrub after riding in rain the other day. I swear I put them back on good and tight. I'll be double checking, just in case.

a friend got a flat in the rear tire on a sunday ride. changed the tube in record time. hurried to not hold up the group. forgot to tighten the skewer.

I took both my skewers out, it saved me about 221.78 grams.

Weight is everything, am I wrong or am I wrong?

Joaquim+Rodriguez.jpg

Facepalm, Purito can't believe how dumb these triathletes are.

May 2, 2011
Visit site
What I find funny on that forum is that instead of everyone telling the guy how silly he has been, they all went to check the bike in case they've forgotten to close their QR.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
42x16ss said:
A lot of the cycling threads on Slowtwitch have pearlers like this, they can be great for some comic relief.

Just went over there for the first time. First thing i clicked was this:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/S...Are_stoplights_killing_my_long_ride_P3910597/

Curious to know people's opinions on how stoplights affect long-ride training. With gas prices what they are, I'm trying to avoid driving to my long-bike starts. Challenge is that for the first and last 8 miles or so, I'm dealing with stop lights. A typical ride looks like this:

First 10 miles - probably stopping 4-6 times.
Last 10 miles - probably stopping 4-6 times.
Everything in the middle is open road.

How much do those stoplights really affect the quality of my sessions? If I'm doing the stop and go for 30% of my ride, how much is that taking away from my endurance/benefit of the ride?

If he is so concerned about stopping, why wouldn't he ride the 'everything in the middle is open road' section again, or up to the amount of miles he needs to put in? Or am I missing something. :confused:

I vote to regularly update this thread with slowtwitch's best...

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I had a training buddy, with whom I'd check my QRs before training and watch closely at lights, it was a favourite gag of his to undo the rear QR while no one is watching (even stopped at lights), then as you start to accelerate from a stop the rear wheel jumps out.

karlboss said:
I had a training buddy, with whom I'd check my QRs before training and watch closely at lights, it was a favourite gag of his to undo the rear QR while no one is watching (even stopped at lights), then as you start to accelerate from a stop the rear wheel jumps out.
Nice! This one definitely belongs in the "Signs your new cycling partner is going to be a problem" thread.

Bala Verde said:
Just went over there for the first time. First thing i clicked was this:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/S...Are_stoplights_killing_my_long_ride_P3910597/

If he is so concerned about stopping, why wouldn't he ride the 'everything in the middle is open road' section again, or up to the amount of miles he needs to put in? Or am I missing something. :confused:

I vote to regularly update this thread with slowtwitch's best...
Here's another good one :D

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/S...hlon_Forum_F1/Avoiding_crashes_(RR)_P3904952/

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Ha, ha, ha... but seriously who hasn't done something totally stupid on the bike at some stage of their cycling career (admittedly most of us wouldn't care to post accounts of these moments on internet forums).

You've got to remember that triathlon is a growing sport and most triathlon newbies are are also new to bike racing. Triathlon beginners are no more or less skilled than road cycling beginners, its just that there are more of them. There is a wide range of skill levels out there.

There are quite a few people who have transitioned (if you'll pardon the pun) from triathlon to road cycling and vice versa, including several professionals. Some people, self included, even do triathlon in summer and competitive road cycling in winter.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
There's a fine line between doing something totally stupid and being totally stupid. Keep reading and riding, you'll notice the difference, assuming you're road riding.

TRENDING THREADS