• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Question Should triathletes be allowed on bikes?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Soloist said:
Quiz: relatively small p-value or relatively big? AP Stats test is tomorrow. My students know this.

Sorry, you jammed a probabilist by training.

You're a teacher? It's awful when people as up themselves as you manage to get any power over others.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Caruut said:
You're a teacher? It's awful when people as up themselves as you manage to get any power over others.

There is a significant minority of school teachers, that address the world at large as though they are talking to young children.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
usedtobefast said:
fixie hipsters...are they "real" bike riders , or just posers:p

Do they actually ride their bikes? From what I've gathered a fixie is a bicycle meant to be seen with while you stand around or walk uphill.

As near as I can tell, riding a fixie requires you to ride no handed about 50% of the time.

Which reminds me of how funny it is to watch people at triathlons struggle to open a food item with one hand and their teeth when riding no handed would make it easy.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
As near as I can tell, riding a fixie requires you to ride no handed about 50% of the time.

Which reminds me of how funny it is to watch people at triathlons struggle to open a food item with one hand and their teeth when riding no handed would make it easy.

agreed. the kids riding fixies here are indeed skilled compared to triguy

unlike triguy in aero fixie riders can corner with out pedal strike

I've got nothing against fixies. I just wish they'd stop running up my *ss at traffic lights.

I've got nothing against triguys either, although I do find it amusing when you overtake them on a training ride, they're in full aero position, you look down at the speedo as you zip past and you're doing 30km/h. :rolleyes:

But at the end of the day anyone who is a cyclist is ok in my book. Even if they ride a monocycle... although I do feel a tiny bit weird when I come across those guys. :eek: And the recumbents, serious geek happening there, but a small part of me wants to have a go at it and if you ever quote me on that I will deny it.

It's those pedestrians and motorists we really have to worry about. ;)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Polyarmour said:
I've got nothing against fixies. I just wish they'd stop running up my *ss at traffic lights.

I've got nothing against triguys either, although I do find it amusing when you overtake them on a training ride, they're in full aero position, you look down at the speedo as you zip past and you're doing 30km/h. :rolleyes:

But at the end of the day anyone who is a cyclist is ok in my book. Even if they ride a monocycle... although I do feel a tiny bit weird when I come across those guys. :eek: And the recumbents, serious geek happening there, but a small part of me wants to have a go at it and if you ever quote me on that I will deny it.

It's those pedestrians and motorists we really have to worry about. ;)

One my ride to work (35km) in the middle of nowhere, I passed a fat lady on a unicycle. To this day I'm not sure if it wasn't an acid flashback. However, I have more respect for her than anyone on a fixie.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
slowspoke said:
One my ride to work (35km) in the middle of nowhere, I passed a fat lady on a unicycle. To this day I'm not sure if it wasn't an acid flashback. However, I have more respect for her than anyone on a fixie.

I got dropped by A recumbent, in the hills man.

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Zam_Olyas said:
I am banned on slowtwitch forum lol

Congratulations! Not enough Lance-love?

I have no problem with anyone who rides a bike no matter what shape it and they are or what type of riding they do, as long as they are not @$$holes.

But I say that as someone who has done quite a few triathlons.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
You thought wrong. They often pop open on their own during the night. To be safe they need to be checked every day--sometimes twice a day.

While cyclists talk about how everyone falls over once when they start using clipless pedals. Triathletes talk about how everyone suffers at least one quick release mishap when they start triathlon. It's a different world.

I wonder how much of this is actually CAUSED by the lawyer tabs. Without those tabs - I get those QR's right and tight - and I don't have to change anything when I take the wheel out and put it back. With the lawyer tabs I have to unscrew, screw it back, yada yada. Pita, and sometimes I miss getting them right and tight. Or stick it in the dropouts - get interrupted - come back and forget to finish the job.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
The other day, I did see a tri guy in his aero bars going up a quite steep hill. It was funny.

I also had the experience of going at cruising speed and catching up to a tri guy who looked to be several years younger than me. I was embarrseed to pass him since he was in full tuck. I think I saw him out of the corner of my eye sprint to catch my draft. I actually wasn't going super fast. I try to avoid situations like that, but hey, it happens.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
hiero2 said:
I wonder how much of this is actually CAUSED by the lawyer tabs. Without those tabs - I get those QR's right and tight - and I don't have to change anything when I take the wheel out and put it back. With the lawyer tabs I have to unscrew, screw it back, yada yada. Pita, and sometimes I miss getting them right and tight. Or stick it in the dropouts - get interrupted - come back and forget to finish the job.

Have you seen the new UCI equipment regs? Seems like we will all have to have lawyer tabs, even the pros. A very sad day. At the age of 15 I managed to cycle up a hill and down the twisty descent on the other side with the front QR loose, I noticed a vague issue with the steering nothing more!

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Well here's a first, Tri Guy at a signal clipped in in aerobars in a very labored but successful track stand. Props to him, i guess. nice skills, i guess.

BTW if a wack roadie is a FRED what do we call TriGuy?

Respectfully I ask all Tri People posting here: Why sleeveless jerseys with arm warmers and an aero helmet while training?

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
I must admit, most tri men Ive come across are kind of dumb - usually fitness fanatics with flashier bikes than me usually. I have met one or two that were OK but there you go.

But urban fixie riders deserve to die to be fair.. Thinking they are Fransesco Moser and always acting the big hero is so ****ing annoying - Look at me I have a powder blue fixed wheel cycle, i can ride at 18 mph wooo..

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Boeing said:

Respectfully I ask all Tri People posting here: Why sleeveless jerseys with arm warmers and an aero helmet while training?

Tri-FRED or Tri-GEEK.

See previous two words for your second question.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Boeing said:
Well here's a first, Tri Guy at a signal clipped in in aerobars in a very labored but successful track stand. Props to him, i guess. nice skills, i guess.

Excusable perhaps if it is a just before a major race get used to the gear type ride - otherwise not.

As for a gear obsessed tri guy (or roadie) with an inflated sense of his own appearance and abilities, I think the word starts with w and rhymes with anchor.