• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Shoulder muscle soreness, what do you suggest?

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I get shoulder muscle soreness (muscles between shoulders and neck) when riding for say more than 2 hours. I imagine the pros don't get this and wonder what the secret is.

I believe I fit my bike fairly well, but a maybe a professional fit would be in order?

What about exercises for that area?

Thanks.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
richwagmn said:
I get shoulder muscle soreness (muscles between shoulders and neck) when riding for say more than 2 hours. I imagine the pros don't get this and wonder what the secret is.

I believe I fit my bike fairly well, but a maybe a professional fit would be in order?

What about exercises for that area?

Thanks.

I think a professional fit would be best. If it is not a fit problem, then exercises that build muscles in that area are pushups, chin ups, lat pulldowns, shoulder presses, etc.

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Son, if you want to feel better after an exercise session, without feeling pain, you must train a lot first, at the beginning it´s difficult to not feel sore, try with soft exercise, ten push ups, a series of ten military presses or feel free to experiment with any kind of workout you feel comfortable, stay healthy, eat healthy, lots of carbohydrates and protein. Cheers.

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
All of the advice given by prvious posters is excellent.

In addition, while on the bike it is important to frequently change your hand placement and body mechanics. Every fifteen minutes or so, sit up and ride hands free for a little bit (10 seconds or so). This will allow you to decrease the strain on your neck extensors and get some fresh blood into those muscles.

By changing hand positions back and forth every few minutes from the hoods to the tops of the bars and then the drops, you will be changing the angle of your shoulder joints and the angle at which your torso is flexed over the bike. Changing positions feels good.

The body becomes uncomfortable when it is stuck in one position for a long time, no matter the position. Stay active on the bike and you will feel fresher for longer.

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
David Suro said:
All of the advice given by prvious posters is excellent.
I disagree- some useful, far from excellent until your advice

David Suro said:
Every fifteen minutes or so, sit up and ride hands free for a little bit (10 seconds or so). This will allow you to decrease the strain on your neck extensors and get some fresh blood into those muscles.

By changing hand positions back and forth every few minutes from the hoods to the tops of the bars and then the drops, you will be changing the angle of your shoulder joints and the angle at which your torso is flexed over the bike. Changing positions feels good.

The body becomes uncomfortable when it is stuck in one position for a long time, no matter the position. Stay active on the bike and you will feel fresher for longer.

I'd add to consciously look back over each shoulder as far as you can as often as you think of it when it is convenient... probably more than once every 15minutes. On city streets you'd be doing that pretty regular anyway but on the open road where you can hear out approaching traffic it's easy to freeze into one stance- causing the tense buildup
Releasing one hand aids looking back further round ...better view, better stretch

WARNING- If you cannot maintain a straight line when doing that(most weekend warriors can't) practice in a car park first.

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
I have the same problem,so I went to a bike shop.Firstly my handlebars were not wide enough.

Next as I am carrying some weight and have have a very short head tube,I was advised to flip my stem.

After that the most important piece of advice was to ride my bike and don't lock my arms for long periods.

Like you after 20 to 25 miles my shoulders ached so much I had to stop.Yesterday I went out with the new handlebars,flipped stem and I consciously didn't lock my arms.It felt strange at first as I always lock my arms but after a few miles it was second nature.

After 20 miles no shoulder ache,then 25 then 30 still felt fine just tired because I am so unfit.That's my experience and I hope it helps you.

As for military presses I doubt Andy Schleck does them,but Its a interesting thought.

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
It's position.

Sounds to me like your handlebars are too low, your stem too long, or a combination of the two. Also the suggestion that your bars might now be wide enough was a good one, but most bikes these days tend to have bars that are close to the correct width for a given frame size, so I'd think that would be less likely the problem.

Yes, get somebody to check out your position. Best would be a trained bike fit person, and best yet (since you're having muscle issues) might be a bike fit by a trained person who was also a Physical Therapist. Depends a lot on what options you have in your area.

Good luck.

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
If you can't maintain your normal back angle without using your hands and arms (and shoulders) for support, you're probably carrying too much weight on your arms. Move your saddle rearward until you feel your center of gravity is over your feet (or the bottom bracket). You may also need to lower it a bit, too.

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
The exercise is usually very hard or far more than the athlete would normally be accustomed to but I would like to suggest one exercise for shoulder.
- First, Lie on your back on the floor with your legs resting on a chair.
- Your knees and hips should be bent to 90 degrees with your bum against the chair.
- Breath into your belly and relax for 5-10 minutes.

TRENDING THREADS