• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sierra Nevada - can you cycle from north to south into Alpujarra's from Granada ?

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
we're a little unclear on whether there is a road route all the way over the mountain pass from the Granada side to The Alpujarras . anyone been there and can say either way whether its possible tom ride all the way up and over by road bike ?

i've been told that there is and also that there is an impassable section where you need to load yourself and bike onto a chair lift ( summer ) and then ride down the south side .

anyone help please ?

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I've ridden up to Trevelez from the coast, then along that road to the west, it sits about 2000m, couldn't see anything that looked like a rideable road that went even further up, it could be a whole load of misery. There looks like a decent road that runs up to Capileira (it's even on google street view), but looks like it stops being a decent road after the town, where streetview finishes you can see it's dirt track in the distance. To give you an idea, the road east of there through Trevelas and through is quite rough in places, really amazing though, the locals farm fields that look like they're at 45 degrees and the donkeys that pull the ploughs are dressed up in fancy headresses, worth a visit, I'd go back.

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
safty , ive also ridden the trevelez roads and also granada to sierra nevada but it was in february and theres no way that it was passable then . agree with you on the alpujarra's area - very enjoyable spot .

its just that theres been some suggestion that you could do this and not only that but there is a race each summer .

any information i could gleen while there said there is no paved surface across the mountain ie no pass .

so conflicting information raised the question

Yes, there is a road across the Sierra Nevada (it is the one visible on Google Maps, from Bubion to Capileira and then up-up-up). I travelled it south-to-north back in '99, early July. All information I have is from then.

The northern road is tarmac, good until the car park at about 2700 metres. Above that altitude the road was closed for all un-authorized motor vehicles, and the surface was poorer toward the top. There is actually a cul-de-sac all the way to the top of Pico Veleta (a small car park 25 meters below the summit which is at 3398 meters). The actual pass I believe is at about 3200-3250 meters.

There was no impassable section at all in 1999, and two or three official cars passed us. We saw no other cyclists climbing the south side, but met a couple of mountain bikers going downhill.

The sourthern side is a pretty rough gravel road, almost all the way down to Capileira (at 1500 meters). I had a touring bike with 37mm tires (loaded with >20kg); with the high load I was forced to walk some (steep) parts. I'm not sure how easy it would be to ride an unloaded road bike downhill.

It was two of the most memorable days I have spent on a bike.

A couple of pictures:

1999_282_hogsvang.jpg

1999_286_mulhacen-es.jpg

More pictures here - unfortunately in Swedish, but the crossing starts about half way down the page. Click the link at the end of each day for more pictures.

Stelvio said:
Yes, there is a road across the Sierra Nevada (it is the one visible on Google Maps, from Bubion to Capileira and then up-up-up). I travelled it south-to-north back in '99, early July. All information I have is from then.

The northern road is tarmac, good until the car park at about 2700 metres. Above that altitude the road was closed for all un-authorized motor vehicles, and the surface was poorer toward the top. There is actually a cul-de-sac all the way to the top of Pico Veleta (a small car park 25 meters below the summit which is at 3398 meters). The actual pass I believe is at about 3200-3250 meters.

There was no impassable section at all in 1999, and two or three official cars passed us. We saw no other cyclists climbing the south side, but met a couple of mountain bikers going downhill.

The sourthern side is a pretty rough gravel road, almost all the way down to Capileira (at 1500 meters). I had a touring bike with 37mm tires (loaded with >20kg); with the high load I was forced to walk some (steep) parts. I'm not sure how easy it would be to ride an unloaded road bike downhill.

It was two of the most memorable days I have spent on a bike.

A couple of pictures:

1999_282_hogsvang.jpg

1999_286_mulhacen-es.jpg

More pictures here - unfortunately in Swedish, but the crossing starts about half way down the page. Click the link at the end of each day for more pictures.

Thanks a lot, you have answered a question I had for a good 10 years. I wanted to climb from Motril ( sea-level) to the top of Veleta on my road bike and thought that it was possible as my maps led me to believe it was. I never actually went there to try it, I would have like to do it when in top or at least in sufficient shape ( although I did visit the area 2 or 3 times).
I also considered entering the race from Pinos Genil, but it was difficult to find good info on the web. Plus it looked like a low key local event. Now it looks like you can find more details on the web.
I thought the race actually reached the top at 3400m, and maybe it did a few years ago, but now apparently they stop at 3293m.
http://www.cicloturistaveleta.es/index.html?arbol=recorrido
If you google pinos genil veleta you can find more info in spanish.
The foot race to the top looks like a bigger event.
Thanks again