• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Simon Gerran's power data for Milan San Remo

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Marcus135 said:
Random edit, my maths will probs be wrong but meh, simon pushes 400 watts behind fabian and saves say 20% energy because of that (yes you can save more but behind one person i would say its around 20 rather than a bunch that would be more) so thats 480 watts.

Then 480/64 = 7.5 (ratio of what simon would be pushing)
7.5 x 82 = 615 (ratio of what simon would have to push without drafting Fabian times by Fabians weight)
If im right (which i wont be but at a rough guess) Fabian was pushing around 615 watts while Simon was pushing 400.

Hopefully i haven't made a fool out of myself :D
20% is a bit unrealistic, considering what speed they were going at (obviously the drafting effect is higher the faster you go) and also considering how large Cancellara is compared to Gerrans (which increases the drafting effect). At 50 km/h I believe the drafting effect would be between 30%-40%.

Panda Claws said:
Yes of course, but 800 vs 570 :confused:

I don't know.

Assuming Gilbert weighs 67 kg then that would be: 8,51 watts/kg

If Cancellara really pushed 800 watts, then assuming a body weight of 82 kg.

9,76 watts/kg.

That's extreme.

Of course the real values are a bit lower because you have to take bike weight into account.
The last km in the fleche wallone takes longer than the last km of MSR

Panda Claws said:
It's a shame we don't have every riders data after every race.

Imagine having Voeckler's data during a mountain stage in the Tour.

* Comparing Gilbert's data to Cancellara's in this year's E3.
* Boonen vs Cancellara in 2010.
* Gilbert in the ardennes 2011. Especially in LBL, compare him with the Schlecks.
*Gesink's data in general. (That guy always seems to die before crossing the finish line.)

and so on...

Yes, I am a numbers freak.

+1. See trainingpeaks.com for the occasional Sky or GreenEdge data.

But, Voeckler is old school, uses a Sigma Sport BC 1009 (http://www.sigmasport.com/us/produkte/bikecomputer/topline_2009_wireless/bc1009_sts/?punkt=features) and Tommeke didn't use a power meter until this year.

Sorry, since I don't have one I have to give props to pro's who don't use one ;)

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
El Oso said:
Sorry, since I don't have one I have to give props to pro's who don't use one ;)

You know what they say, when you are an amateur and you buy a power meter it's like hiring an accountant to tell you how poor you are.:D

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
maltiv said:
20% is a bit unrealistic, considering what speed they were going at (obviously the drafting effect is higher the faster you go) and also considering how large Cancellara is compared to Gerrans (which increases the drafting effect). At 50 km/h I believe the drafting effect would be between 30%-40%.

I only say 20% as the benefit is that high when you are in a group and are Completly surrounded by riders and get the drag, Gerro was hardly holding the wheel and it was one person so the benefit would be significantly less than what it can be.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Marcus135 said:
I only say 20% as the benefit is that high when you are in a group and are Completly surrounded by riders and get the drag, Gerro was hardly holding the wheel and it was one person so the benefit would be significantly less than what it can be.

29% behind one rider at 40kph, 40% in a group at 40kph. Source cavanaugh and faria. Greater if they are going faster which drafting at 400W would indicate they were. Even if the benefit were only 29% that is 516 Watts 6.4W/kg for Cancellara, which over 4km for him is well and truly doable even at the end of 300km. So there is your lower limit on Cancellara.