• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Simon Gerran's power data for Milan San Remo

Here's the link for Simon Gerran's power data for Milan San Remo 2012 :

http://www.srm.de/index.php/us/srm-blog/road/710

BIG Thank You to GreenEdge & SRM for the information.

Wow ... The most eye-popping part for me is that Gerrans' heartrate for the first 140km or so never went above 140 bpm i.e he literally cruised along for 3 hours. In the final 20km his heartrate never went below 165 bpm and he had his heartrate at 180 bpm for the last minute!!!! As for his power, he punched out 1,300 watts in the sprint after 300km.

BRAVO!!!!!

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
42x16ss said:
Maybe so but it also highlights the difference between a good amateur and an established professional. If I sat in for 140kms @ 40kmh I strongly doubt my average heart rate would be under 140 bpm!

His power barely hit even 200W for the first 140kms which explains the low heart rate.

Also heartrates are very subjective and from the bald numbers no binding inferences can be made. I recall looking at Greipel's heart data from last year's tour - the etape's average BPM for him was 105ish. Okay, these sorta numbers do illustrate the difference between pros and us mere mortals, but not much more.

To me the most amazing piece of info was the fact that Gerrans pushed 400w while on the wheel of Canc. Monstrous really.

meat puppet said:
Also heartrates are very subjective and from the bald numbers no binding inferences can be made. I recall looking at Greipel's heart data from last year's tour - the etape's average BPM for him was 105ish. Okay, these sorta numbers do illustrate the difference between pros and us mere mortals, but not much more.

To me the most amazing piece of info was the fact that Gerrans pushed 400w while on the wheel of Canc. Monstrous really.
It certainly is monstrous, especially when you take into account just how small Gerrans is. The mind boggles at how much power Cancellara was putting down :eek:

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
42x16ss said:
Try averaging 190+ watts for 3.5 hours and tell me what your average heart rate is. I can guarantee that it won't be that low...

Actually decent amateur racers would have no trouble with that. 190W is within my "recovery" power range, so doing it for 3.5 hours is a very easy day. Here is a 6hr20minute ride at 200W for example.

l6xra.png

function said:
Actually decent amateur racers would have no trouble with that. 190W is within my "recovery" power range, so doing it for 3.5 hours is a very easy day. Here is a 6hr20minute ride at 200W for example.

l6xra.png
I stand corrected! :(

I guess I need to get myself a power meter. Out of curiousity was that on a bunch ride or solo? Just curious as to the speeds...

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
42x16ss said:
I stand corrected! :(

I guess I need to get myself a power meter. Out of curiousity was that on a bunch ride or solo? Just curious as to the speeds...

It was a solo ride and undulating terrain which should explain my slow speed :)

Can't say I'm too impressed by those numbers, seems quite common to me. 1300 watt in the sprint isn't really that much when you consider than Cancellara did 1450 up the Muur in 2010, whilst seated, and after a much harder race. I can even do 1300 watt myself, but obviously not after 300 km.

The real question is how much watt Cancellara was producing...if Gerrans, who is fairly small, had to produce 400 watts to stay on Cancellara's wheel, Canc must have produced close to 800 watt! :eek:

It's a shame we don't have every riders data after every race.

Imagine having Voeckler's data during a mountain stage in the Tour.

* Comparing Gilbert's data to Cancellara's in this year's E3.
* Boonen vs Cancellara in 2010.
* Gilbert in the ardennes 2011. Especially in LBL, compare him with the Schlecks.
*Gesink's data in general. (That guy always seems to die before crossing the finish line.)

and so on...

Yes, I am a numbers freak.

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
maltiv said:
Can't say I'm too impressed by those numbers, seems quite common to me. 1300 watt in the sprint isn't really that much when you consider than Cancellara did 1450 up the Muur in 2010, whilst seated, and after a much harder race. I can even do 1300 watt myself, but obviously not after 300 km.

The real question is how much watt Cancellara was producing...if Gerrans, who is fairly small, had to produce 400 watts to stay on Cancellara's wheel, Canc must have produced close to 800 watt! :eek:

1300 watts not a lot!!! Are you joking? Yes for some people that may be easy but Simon weighs 64 kilos. That means he was pushing 20.31 watts per kilo which is huge this only adding to the fact he had already ridden 300km. Yes Fabian pushed 1450 watts, but he weighs 82kg meaning he did 17.68 watts per kilo, yes Fabian was sitting down, but come on be real... its Fabian... Considering the size of Gerro those numbers are pretty impressive.

Random edit, my maths will probs be wrong but meh, simon pushes 400 watts behind fabian and saves say 20% energy because of that (yes you can save more but behind one person i would say its around 20 rather than a bunch that would be more) so thats 480 watts.

Then 480/64 = 7.5 (ratio of what simon would be pushing)
7.5 x 82 = 615 (ratio of what simon would have to push without drafting Fabian times by Fabians weight)
If im right (which i wont be but at a rough guess) Fabian was pushing around 615 watts while Simon was pushing 400.

Hopefully i haven't made a fool out of myself :D

Marcus135 said:
1300 watts not a lot!!! Are you joking? Yes for some people that may be easy but Simon weighs 64 kilos. That means he was pushing 20.31 watts per kilo which is huge this only adding to the fact he had already ridden 300km. Yes Fabian pushed 1450 watts, but he weighs 82kg meaning he did 17.68 watts per kilo, yes Fabian was sitting down, but come on be real... its Fabian... Considering the size of Gerro those numbers are pretty impressive.

Random edit, my maths will probs be wrong but meh, simon pushes 400 watts behind fabian and saves say 20% energy because of that (yes you can save more but behind one person i would say its around 20 rather than a bunch that would be more) so thats 480 watts.

Then 480/64 = 7.5 (ratio of what simon would be pushing)
7.5 x 82 = 615 (ratio of what simon would have to push without drafting Fabian times by Fabians weight)
If im right (which i wont be but at a rough guess) Fabian was pushing around 615 watts while Simon was pushing 400.

Hopefully i haven't made a fool out of myself :D

I think that's about right considering that Gilbert 'only' pushed 570 watts during the final km of FW. 800 Watts would seem a bit extreme.

theyoungest said:
It's only normal that Gilbert has a lower Watt output than Cancellara, he's 10 kgs lighter.

Yes of course, but 800 vs 570 :confused:

I don't know.

Assuming Gilbert weighs 67 kg then that would be: 8,51 watts/kg

If Cancellara really pushed 800 watts, then assuming a body weight of 82 kg.

9,76 watts/kg.

That's extreme.

Of course the real values are a bit lower because you have to take bike weight into account.

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
They key that everyone seems to miss here is that watts are always going to be higher for bigger riders. Chris Hoy could pump out huge watts too, but weights 100kg+.

Gerrans is a little bloke, and as far as watts/kg (which is what sports scientists tend to look at) go, his ride was awesome.