• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 968 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Evenepoel and Pogacar is beginning to look like Froome vs Contador in the tour as the duel that never really happened (I mean that did happen but there was always an excuse to be made on behalf on contador). Ofcourse you could argue both are not even half way their careers.

Reactions: memyselfandI
I also don’t think Pogacar would drop Evenepoel or Roglic on LBL on sunday, and i don’t think Pogacar is much more stronger than the past years, in the sense he can get big gaps against his opponents.

Of course Pogacar is pushing more watts this year, compared to last year, but everybody in the peloton is pushing more watts, year after year, so all gets balanced.

The scenario they were talking about is if after some climb, like for example cote de la redoute, where Pogacar gets 5/10 s on Evenepoel, if more later in the flat section, Evenepoel can close the gap.
Well, in my opinion, i don’t think he could, and i would think the same if it's vice versa, because when you are dropped, it means you are in the red, and the rider who get's in front, is more fresher. It's a different scenario from a ITT where naturally, Evenepoel will beat Pogacar.
Indeed. After being dropped (10 seconds or more) on la Redoute, one has to recover. Losing another 15 to 20 seconds (maybe even being overtaken by the group behind) in the next kilometers. Coming back a bit on grinta and TT-modus before the "Roche aux faucons". Losing time again on the climb. So, losing time (15 to 20 seconds) on la Redoute, it will not be possible (for Evenepoel or vice-versa Pogacar) to come back. But only losing 5 seconds, either Evenepoel or Poga will come back. Resulting in an attack with two and sprinting for victory.

Indeed. After being dropped (10 seconds or more) on la Redoute, one has to recover. Losing another 15 to 20 seconds (maybe even being overtaken by the group behind) in the next kilometers. Coming back a bit on grinta and TT-modus before the "Roche aux faucons". Losing time again on the climb. So, losing time (15 to 20 seconds) on la Redoute, it will not be possible (for Evenepoel or vice-versa Pogacar) to come back. But only losing 5 seconds, either Evenepoel or Poga will come back. Resulting in an attack with two and sprinting for victory.
But all depends on if the rider tried to follow the other one and completely went in the red, or set his own pace.

Personally I think it would make a lot of sense for Remco to ride a similar spring season to Pogačar's 2022 and 2023 calendar.

Apart from his Vuelta win, all of his biggest wins have come in one-day races and given that the team has been underperforming on these races for a few years I would expand Remco classics season to Sanremo and Flanders not just the Ardennes.

If we are lucky we might see Van der Poel, Van Aert, Pogačar, Remco and Pedersen all riding Sanremo and Flanders (maybe E3 too).