• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 970 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
be89954741a3495ebb99df28a1d90663.jpeg

Is that guy on the right with sunglasses and a wig Remco?

But I would be surprised if all of Lampaert, Pedersen and Moscon would go to the Tour.
3 is too many? There are 8 spots, how would you divide this? You have Remco as the leader, but how many people do you need in the mountains? There are 7 spots left, wouldn't 4 be enough? Knowing you have Landa and Van Wilder already that can go to the last 10-20 riders.

3 is too many? There are 8 spots, how would you divide this? You have Remco as the leader, but how many people do you need in the mountains? There are 7 spots left, wouldn't 4 be enough? Knowing you have Landa and Van Wilder already that can go to the last 10-20 riders.
I hope Cattaneo can be 100% ready. He's a very strong rouleur but is also good uphill. Then two other rouleurs should be enough I think. Vervaeke is also not bad on the flat.

Without Cattaneo I would take three rouleurs yes.

I think my ideal selection would be: Remco, Landa, Van Wilder, Vervaeke, Cattaneo, Lampaert, Asgreen (or Pedersen/Moscon) + one more climbing type (Hirt/Knox) but I understand a case can definitely be made for an extra rouleur instead of Hirt/Knox or even a pure workhorse like Serry.

Well he's going to SN now...
In his column in Het Nieuwsblad last week Lefevere said that Vervaeke (at that time) wasn't in Spain yet because he just became a father again.

Lefevere also confirmed that Cattaneo (who would have been a certainty otherwise) is out because of health problems.

He said that besides Remco, at this time nobody is certain to be selected yet but that the riders training with Remco at Sierra Nevada obviously have a good chance. (Lampaert, Pedersen, Moscon, Van Wilder and Landa + Vervaeke who joined later).

There is a longlist of 12 riders and according to Lefevere the decision about the 8th rider is always the most difficult one and this will be the case also this year.

So if everybody stays healthy and in shape we have seven riders basically confirmed: Remco, Landa, Van Wilder, Vervaeke, Lampaert, Pedersen, Moscon.