• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Since When Do You Like Contador?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Since When Do you Like Contador?

• eneco tour '12

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
gooner said:
I know he is popular on the forum but while I don't deny his immense abillity as a rider, I honestly don't like the guy. He dragged cycling through the mud and tried to pull the wool over people's eyes with his laughable excuse. Instea
gooner said:
I know he is popular on the forum but while I don't deny his immense abillity as a rider, I honestly don't like the guy. He dragged cycling through the mud and tried to pull the wool over people's eyes with his laughable excuse. Instead of admitting his mistake, all we heard from him was spin like making himself to be some sort of victim and then threatening to retire if banned. As Paul Kimmage said on Irish radio "Good riddance" if he followed through on it. I just found they way he played the victim card insulting to me as a cycling fan. Remember the UCI protected him for a couple of months before it got exposed.

Part of the problem and not the solution to cycling's problems.

I am reasonably sure Contador, as one rider, is not the single answer to cyclings problems (where to begin). You will soon find out that any given competitive biker has a attitude which clearly separates them from the "lesser" ones. Even your god Wiggins has changed his tune once he became more successful and now spends his mouthpiece with speaking up the biggest fraud ever on a bike: Lance Armstrong. Is that a solution to cyclings problems you think?

No_Balls said:
Even your god Wiggins has changed his tune once he became more successful and now spends his mouthpiece with speaking up the biggest fraud ever on a bike: Lance Armstrong. Is that a solution to cyclings problems you think?

Not everyone who dislikes Contador is neccesarily a member of the Wiggins Armstrong clique.

Gooner clearly is not 1 of those as he has been critiscising Wiggins and sky in the clinic since July.

The points raised against Contador are legitimate.

Its 1 thing to accept and Contadors flaws and remember them. The doping can be easily reconciled with a - doping is rampant in all sports, ideology, if you hold one, whereas the lying, a painful pill to swallow, can be beared if you are looking for someone with a special passion for the sport, and not father of the year, or perhaps see him as a victim.

But to dismiss any critiscsm as coming from an Armstrong fan with a grudge, is merely to shut ones ears and scream "la la la" anytime something unwelcome comes along.

And the fact is that with Contadors history, pretty respectable people like Kimmage, motivated by hard as steel principles rather than an allegiance to the armstrong mafia, are also going to dislike Contador.

Contador is the reason I am a cycling fan - I watched a bit of the tdf as a kid and a student, but pretty much ignored the sport (other than being aware of the tdf winner each year) during the Lance years and on.

With the rise of Cav, and to a degree Wiggins, I started watching the 2009 tour, on a pretty casual basis, and was pretty blown away by Contador's performance, to the degree that I've since started following cycling 'properly'.

It's a difficult one, because I take Gooner and the Hitch's points above, but in the face of just awesome performance I also want to give the benefit of the doubt to the participants - even if that makes me willfully naive!

That said the same willful naivety is also employed in my appreciation of Federer and Messi's talents.

Actually, Tour 2007 is when started to *dislike* him. Matching Rasmussen toe to toe wasn't a good thing, in my mind. Maybe *disapprove* or *question* are better words than *dislike*.

I must admit I enjoyed the 2009 Tour when he gave Armstrong and Astana a lesson.

However, personality wise I like him a lot. :)

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
seor-gif-hugging-cat.gif

Since I discovered his amazing love for animals! :p

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Watch him racing since Giro '08. Great rider. And he's not arrogant at least towards fans http://astanafans.com/fotootchet-veloprobeg-v-almaty-18-09-2010.html this report is of Alberto visiting Vino's country. Mind you: he was leaving the team, but paid tribute to fans and sponsors; it was heavily raining and cold, but he was there till the very end; children were happy - these things say a lot of a person; and yeah, he is just great attacking on the ascents!

I am a fan because of his riding, style but I certainly know about his baggage and is under no illusion regarding clinic matters.
PN 2007 is the first time I became a fan. Appreciation went up a notch with his Giro-Vuelta double and furthermore, after defying team orders and beating Lance at Tour 2009.

Your poll didn't go back far enough LOL....I noticed him before 2007 and said 'Wow that kid is going to be somebody'. I think it was Romandie in 2006....at my age memory goes LOL!

I became a real 'fan' after the 2007 Tour though. Hate to admit it but I was rooting for Rasmussen and here was Bertie taking him on left and right...very impressed and he moved way up on my list of favs.

Carols said:
Your poll didn't go back far enough LOL....I noticed him before 2007 and said 'Wow that kid is going to be somebody'. I think it was Romandie in 2006....at my age memory goes LOL!

I became a real 'fan' after the 2007 Tour though. Hate to admit it but I was rooting for Rasmussen and here was Bertie taking him on left and right...very impressed and he moved way up on my list of favs.
Yeah.. ditto here. I was surprised and impressed at that time and the amazing feeling kept growing and growing.

The Hitch said:
When he did the Giro at 120%, then quietly went into the Tour, with abuse, organizers out to get him, fatigue and no preparation, a very bad way to go into a gt.

Remember how the UCI said they didnt want him in the race?
Remember how the fans booed him at the start?
Remember how they screwed him in Mont des Allesouts, and how Karpets threw him onto the floor and how he had nothing left from the Giro?

And yet

He kept his head, while all around him,
lost theirs and blamed it on him.
And didnt give way to hating though he was hated
though they lied about him, he didnt deal in lies.
He knew the form might come later, and so he waited
And rode through all their booes and cries.
He stood tall, as they all said that he was bluffing
Living off the hope that the form would come
And held on when there was absolutely nothing
Except the Will which said to him: 'Hold on!'

And then came Gap, 5 glorious minutes
A risk, one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And though he dropped them, the chance had gone to win it
But he never breathes a word about his loss.
He dreamt and made those dreams his master;
To win it the hard way, that was now his aim;
And though he knows truimph, now it was disaster
But he treats those two impostors just the same

He dealt all the lies they had spoken
But could only watch as his body was ripped apart
And under all their efforts his dream was broken,
But they could never take from him his heart.
He talked with crowds and kept his virtue,
He walked with Kings and never lost the common touch,
neither foes nor loving friends can hurt him,
but those two long grand tours proved just too much;

But yet, they could never take his spirit
As he walked into the final mountain stage
And though he knew he could no longer win it.
He could bring the sport back to a distant age
He forced his heart and nerve and sinew
With 100k left of distance to run.
And the wolves, they asked, why did do it
"I attacked" he answered
"just for for fun".

TDF 2011.

In defeat, Contador made himself greater than he ever could in victory

Just Brilliant Hitch...this one is a keeper and expresses him so well; a True Champion. The others in the peloton are but cheap imitations of The Great One!

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Sørensen said:
Tour 09 and all the Lance drama. Felt sorry for him for all the crap he had to endure. But he took it all very well, even on the podium in Paris where they played the danish national melody instead of the spanish, he just took it all with a smile.

Such a class act and a real gentleman. I have the utmost respect for him both as a rider and as a person.

Exact same for me, the 2009 TDF. He showed he had the resolve it takes to be a great champion. Even LA had to admit how mentally tough AC is.

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Looks like 3 out of 4 guys round here like Contador. I expected a lot less, especially after reading the Clinic section.

You're a noisy little bunch, haters! :p

2009 Tour, same reasons as the others. I kind of liked him before that, because I like his panache and attacking style. But that year he took so much crap and abuse, and won the race with aplomb. That really turned the tide for me. I didn't care for the way he didn't really hold up for Andy in 2010 (though I'm not really an Andy fan), but the way he rode last year, throwing caution to the wind and completely going for broke, that was awesome.

Here's to hoping he toys with Froome in the Vuelta, and crushes Team Sky in next year's Tour.

Very happy to see a lot of support for the great one nowdays! The Hitch post was great!

Here in Brazil, as in all other no-cycling countries, it is (was) all about Lance and haters of Contador. Now the things are changing a lot. Specially after the giro and tour 2011, where AC won a lot of fans here in Brazil. This year tour the boring helped a lot too..

Now I am not more the only alberto contador fan in brazil, there is a lot of people here waiting to see alberto in la vuelta!

always fan of the old guard including 2009 and tour 2010 i was cheering for lance not alberto

i always found him though a great champion but the tour 2011,stage to alpe...then he just got another fanboy.that and getting scrrewed by the uci of course.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
I like Contador but when he crushes Wiggins next year in tdf 2013, dropping him like a rock on alpe d'huez it will be a new level of admiration.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
always fan of the old guard including 2009 and tour 2010 i was cheering for lance not alberto

i always found him though a great champion but the tour 2011,stage to alpe...then he just got another fanboy.that and getting scrrewed by the uci of course.

That stage showed he was a true champion, anyone doubting it after that is pretty much ignorant.

Only champions can and will do that after such a previous bad stage. He could go for stage victoy and possible podium.

But no he doesn't care about that, it's all about winning so he already went from 90 km.

Besides clinic-talk how can you not like this kinda guy??? Besides always wanting to win he will always attack aswell even when he's sure he'll win the GT.

It's just how he is, AND I LOVE IT!!!!

TRENDING THREADS