• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sinkewitz claims systematic doping at Quick Step

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Ug. As I've mentioned before on here, reporters and journalists rarely pay for interviews because it undermines their credibility (and most of them make/have far less money than the movies portray). The most they'll usually do is pay for someone's lunch, or cab fare. Exceptions can be found, but they are not the norm, at all. The only one I know of in the world of cycling is David Walsh admitting he compensated Emma O'Reilly for something more than transportation and a meal after the fact, mostly because Emma said she feared for her safety by speaking out.

Keep in mind, Sinkewitz didn't run to journalists, or talk to them up front, or hold a big press conference. This entire thread is because he spoke to WADA nearly two years ago. After doing so - a conversation WADA head David Howman called "very detailed and helpful", Patrick didn't talk to anyone. He didn't speak to any reporters. He didn't rush out to sign a book deal. He just went away and tried to lead a normal life. This story didn't just now get traction because of anything he did. It's because the info was finally passed on from WADA to the UCI and was presented to the press.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Don't know if anyone remembers, but Bettini was suing ZDF (German Broadcaster) for damaging his image. They once reported that Sinkewitz provided him with doping products.

QST now joins Bettini, as they are also suing ZDF. Lefevre, the good old realist, speaks of a conspiracy against QST right before the TdF and the Boonen case. He sues ZDF because he wants to protect the image of QST...

I think he'd better leave, to protect any image of a cycling institute that's still standing.

Oh, ps, Thomas Dekker (SIL) was caught for use of EPO in 2007, when he was still under contract with RAB. It's really not that difficult to predict when someone uses doping anymore. His bloodvalues were 'suspicious', so RAB got rid of him, and almost everyone in the Netherlands (at least I spoke to ;) thought there was something more to it. When we witnessed a drop in performance, it basically proved what people expected. Recently UCI, due to the detection of abnormal values, retested his urine, which previously did not produce a positive, with newer tests, and now found a positive.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
Interesting article in the Suddeutsche Zeitung, with excerpts from the Sinkewitz interview.

Especially the second page reveals some damning 'facts' about medics Van Mol and Rodriguez. The latter who apparently was also involved in Spain's Olympic committee (hence linked in article with Valverde and Contador, but who knows also Sammy Sanchez?). On top of that he has close professional ties with Real Madrid...

Yeah...There is a ton of corruption where that came from. ;)

joe_papp said:
I think this will be the next area of inquiry and focus of investigations/public scrutiny: the old school team directors, managers, hangers-on, etc. who facilitate some facet of doping, or at least turn a blind eye to it, but then crucify other riders and abandon their own when they are caught or even just suspected of doping...

I would like to think so, but I doubt it. All the smart ones have built a wall of plausible deniability over the last ten years--except those in Spain. Jaksche never fingered Riis as having much to do with doping other than, perhaps, pointing his riders in the right direction and keeping his eyes closed.

I am waiting for something like a long running federal investigation to break that includes phone taps, e-mail, SMS messages, financial records, et cetera. In the U.S. I could see a major sports team ensnared.

BroDeal said:
I am waiting for something like a long running federal investigation to break that includes phone taps, e-mail, SMS messages, financial records, et cetera.
As ugly as that would be, I'm starting to think that might be what it takes to put a real scare out there and get things cleaner. And after Sarkozy's comments yesterday, I think it's quite possible this might happen in France in the next several months.

As to the US, I don't know. I'm convinced that the NFL and MLB are riddled with doping problems we don't hear much about and that Manny Ramirez was the norm, and a dummy for getting caught. But for the justice dept to get involved in taking down the big doping ring in something as big as baseball or football, I can't see it happening. At least not anytime soon.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
As ugly as that would be, I'm starting to think that might be what it takes to put a real scare out there and get things cleaner. And after Sarkozy's comments yesterday, I think it's quite possible this might happen in France in the next several months.

As to the US, I don't know. I'm convinced that the NFL and MLB are riddled with doping problems we don't hear much about and that Manny Ramirez was the norm, and a dummy for getting caught. But for the justice dept to get involved in taking down the big doping ring in something as big as baseball or football, I can't see it happening. At least not anytime soon.

Look at the TV though...It aint gonna happen in pro sports. You have to dope to get their, you dope when your there; keep doping when caught. The money world and the sports world go hand in hand when it comes to outstanding spectacles. TV marketing even defends dope usage to some degree. The commerical where the kid says "If I could knock 57 balls out of the park I'd take steroids too!"

Pretty much says it all right there I think.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Dutch news media reported that the Austrian doping investigation will soon be passed on to 'responsible agencies' abroad.

Within now and a month they'll have access to the report composed by the Austrians, and which will allow them to carry out further investigations, and/or anction athletes. The report is supposed to contain depositions of Kohl.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
Dutch news media reported that the Austrian doping investigation will soon be passed on to 'responsible agencies' abroad.

Within now and a month they'll have access to the report composed by the Austrians, and which will allow them to carry out further investigations, and/or anction athletes. The report is supposed to contain depositions of Kohl.

does this mean Wien Humanplasma. Menchov, Posthuma, Boogerd, Dekker, Weening, and Flecha too I think?

Bala Verde said:

Sounds like they are doing it wrong. They need to release the report in a week so the shoe will drop in the middle of the TdF. Or maybe they should have done it UCI style and release it right before the Tour starts.

I would not want to be Menchov. He is now in the same position as Kloden. Every day they must wake up and wonder whether this is the day the anvil will fall on their heads.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
does this mean Wien Humanplasma. Menchov, Posthuma, Boogerd, Dekker, Weening, and Flecha too I think?

Yes Humanplasma. It's Rasmussen instead of Flecha, other than that, those are the names quoted, yes :)

As for Menchov, he looks nervous and jittery in every interview. Normally he's the calmest guy around. He says he's in top form so I wonder if his horrible performance in stage 1 has to do with the nerves.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Here is an interview with KOHL in German/Dutch, basically recounting what he said before....

Where is the Kohl thread in this section, or is it sill in the other section?

PS> I shared a story about Claudia Pechstein (German speed skater) who has been suspended untill further notice since her blood values were off. She is accused of having blood doped. Today, interestingly, I read that the World Skating Federation (or whatever it's called) had contacted the German association to cover the whole thing up. They asked the Germans to force her quit skating and let it blow over. That's the statement the German prez (or whoever he was, some dignitary in the skating industry) made today. That's speed skating... I wonder how many cover ups the UCI has been involved in!

Her defence: I have been tested x amount of times and never tested positive. The problem was howver that her young red blood cells count was way off 3.75% instead of a max of 2.4%... Sounds familiar?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
They asked the Germans to force her quit skating and let it blow over. That's the statement the German prez (or whoever he was, some dignitary in the skating industry) made today. That's speed skating... I

hmmm, they usually make up some minor technical invention to explain the unbelievable when it seems to be getting out of hand (klapschaats, rubber strips on suit etc) ;)

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
hmmm, they usually make up some minor technical invention to explain the unbelievable when it seems to be getting out of hand (klapschaats, rubber strips on suit etc) ;)

Certainly off-topic here, but you can hardly call the klapschaats a "minor technical invention ". :confused:

TRENDING THREADS