• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sinkewitz, positive for rHGH

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Sinkewitz caught for HGH

From the UCI website:

Earlier today, the UCI advised German rider Patrik Sinkewitz that he is provisionally suspended. The decision to provisionally suspend Mr Sinkewitz was made in response to a report from the WADA accredited laboratory in Lausanne indicating an Adverse Analytical Finding of Recombinant Human Growth Hormone in a blood sample collected from him at an in-competition test carried out by Antidoping Switzerland, authorized by the UCI, at the GP di Lugano on 27 February 2011.

This is the first suspension delivered in cycling on the basis of a test for the detection of the growth hormone and one of the first cases in all sports combined. This adverse analytical finding is therefore a new and important step in cycling’s fight against doping.

The provisional suspension remains in force until a hearing panel convened by the German Cycling Federation determines whether Mr Sinkewitz has committed an anti-doping rule violation under Article 21 of the UCI Anti-Doping Rules.

Mr Sinkewitz has the right to request and attend the analyses of his B sample.

Under the World Anti-Doping Code and the UCI Anti-Doping Rules, the UCI is unable to provide any additional information at this time.

UCI Press Services

Firstly -this is cyclings first HGH positive, so its good that it is detecatable.
Second - here is a rider who was previously caught, after Ricco and Di Luca it looks as though the riders have not learnt from previous mistakes.
Thirdly - Sinkerwitz was told tis morning about his A sample, this is quite a different scenario than was afforded to Contador.

Leopards and spots, eh?
I look forward to another frenzy burst of twittering from the peloton PC puritans.
Germany will go into the cycling dark, once again.
It seems HGH is this year's secret CERA. Probably a much bigger beakthrough.
Not before time, too. I bet there will be a few more positives in the near future.

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Wow. Sinkewitz really showing how moronic some of the cyclists are, and also that the sport is not anyway remotely clean. Life ban I guess due to second offense?

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Good to hear we can now detect HGH, sad to see Sinkiwitz not learn from his original mistake. Good riddance if this is proved as this will be his second infringment.
Cue quotes from Sinkiwitz now along the lines of "This sport is corrupt from the head down", "im finished with this dirty sport" or "I leave with my head held high as ive done nothing wrong" etc etc etc.

What a complete DB.

I wonder what the excuse will be ... tainted chewing gum? :p

PS is the perfect fall guy for the UCI and WADA though. I wonder if this is a warning shot or if we should be expecting some big names soon (not holding my breath).

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
just more proof that once a doper always a doper. Lifetime ban from first offense and maybe you'll get the attention of the peleton.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
Sorry Doctor, you've been DAOTEC'd.

Ha - I was wondering what you meant until MJ's post.

I will return all plaudits and points to Hrotha that you get for starting a post only after an independent tribunal - I believe I am an hour ahead of him.

[Mods - can you merge this thread in to the other thread, ta}

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
From the UCI website:

Firstly -this is cyclings first HGH positive, so its good that it is detecatable.
Second - here is a rider who was previously caught, after Ricco and Di Luca it looks as though the riders have not learnt from previous mistakes.
Thirdly - Sinkerwitz was told tis morning about his A sample, this is quite a different scenario than was afforded to Contador.

On your second point: it is quite difficult to underestimate the intelligence of the average cyclist, so much should by now be clear.

I agree, though, that it be Sinkewitz making that mistake twice is quite dissappointing.

Kind of sad that someone riding on a Pro Conti team, who hasn't done much this year returns positive. He had some solid performances last year, but nothing like his solid results in GTs pre-ban.

Why do they return to the sport if they don't think they can achieve what they want clean? Maybe Ricco has learned this, after being caught out once again post-ban. Kohl walked from the sport, sometimes you just have to take your shame, rather than coming back and "proving you're clean" or because you felt you were a victim of injustice.

We need a list of returning riders in the last 5 years, and who we think has returned to their previous level clean.

Dr. Maserati said:
From the UCI website:

I now that this is good news, but there is no way in this world that he is the only one of the few ones using HGH. Especially a drug that could not be detected easily in the past. At some point we were on the thought than most of the peloton were at least on recuperation meds and that the most important drug on that department was the HGH so how come Patrick is the first rider to test positive for this drug?????

No way, no way, no way, no way, no way, no way and no way.

Somehow I think the UCI had a target or an agenda on this one.:mad:

Ferminal said:
Why do they return to the sport if they don't think they can achieve what they want clean? Maybe Ricco has learned this, after being caught out once again post-ban. Kohl walked from the sport, sometimes you just have to take your shame, rather than coming back and "proving you're clean" or because you felt you were a victim of injustice.

It's not like these guys have a lucrative career in finance or medicine waiting for them outside of cycling, for the most part they've been riding for half the lives and have no formal education (ie university). It's what they know. Once you've cheated, I would imagine it's not much of a stretch to cheat again, any moral dilemma has already been defeated in the mind.
Kohl did walk, but he obviously has opportunities with modeling and being the white Jay-Z impersonator...:D

Ferminal said:
Kind of sad that someone riding on a Pro Conti team, who hasn't done much this year returns positive. He had some solid performances last year, but nothing like his solid results in GTs pre-ban.

We need a list of returning riders in the last 5 years, and who we think has returned to their previous level clean.
HGH is not Blood Doping. At least not in the minds of the athletes. Now don't kill the messanger, but recuperation meds was thought to be "a must" in the world of cycling.

This is big.

Sinkewitz said:
Everyone told me to be honest and put my cards on the table. It hasn't helped me so far. I'm more than just somebody who sinned by doping. I'm the defendant in a crime. But telling the truth is also liberating. I don't have to hide anything anymore.

Not easy to accept that he would go through it all again. But then he says this:

idem said:
I wouldn't call [doping] an addiction ... You're ambitious, you train hard, you develop professionally and, at some point, you give yourself that extra boost. Things just keep getting better, you're successful, you get recognition, everyone likes you and everyone loves you. That's how doping becomes normal.

Source: Der Spiegel, 2007

benzwire said:
Kohl did walk, but he obviously has opportunities with modeling and being the white Jay-Z impersonator...:D

Daaaaayum.

j8330h.jpg

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
I now that this is good news, but there is no way in this world that he is the only one of the few ones using HGH. Especially a drug that could not be detected easily in the past. At some point we were on the thought than most of the peloton were at least on recuperation meds and that the most important drug on that department was the HGH so how come Patrick is the first rider to test positive for this drug?????
If I read WADA's IO report for the 2010 Tour de France right, only 33 samples (fewer than that in riders) were tested for HGH. It's just a guess that most of those would be stage winners or jersey wearers. I learned from that report that riders aren't tested nearly as thoroughly as I hoped. A high percentage of blood samples taken are used for Bio Passport only rather than tested for particular substances. When they do test blood for doping products, they still don't spend the money to test them for everything.

It's the UCI, so who knows how they decided to run that test on that sample, but I'd even be surprised if every guy on the 18 Pro Teams was tested for it once since the test came out.

I'll correct myself - it was Anti-Doping Switzerland that got him.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Isn't HGH like a health tonic or something? I havne't really heard about HGH causing any health problems. If it, as claimed solve health problems, slow, halt or reverse the aging problem, why would it be banned from competition?
Also since it is a naturally occurring substance I am curious what kind of test is available to find it in the athletes organism.

TRENDING THREADS