• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sir Wiggo's Hour Record Bike

Post record, I'm reading silliness about Wiggo's bike. I guess people can point fingers at the UCI if they want, but not at Brad. The UCI approved his bike BEFORE his attempt to break the record. As far as meeting the homologation rule, we'll have to wait and see what they do, but that's an easy hoop to jump through.

Re:

King Boonen said:
Did the UCI approve the bike or the frame? Every frame needs approval before it can be raced and only then will it be put into production. I think things like the one-off 3D printed titanium bars are more likely to be a problem...

My understanding is that for record attempts, the entire bike is "submitted" for approval (measurements) before the event. We all knew he had custom bars so I hope that the UCI did too (but it wouldn't shock me if they didn't). Really most aero bars are custom especially on the track (at the top level). Would it have been less of a buzz if he got custom carbon bars like the rest of the trackies?

EDIT: Brad and his team certainly weren't being sneaky about the bars since there were articles all over the www a few days prior to his record ride.

As far as homologation goes, I can't go to a LBS and buy a Specialized like Vincenzo or Alberto so should we be calling for their heads too?

I think you can still buy the custom bars though, you can "buy" the UK ones at least, although the process is so convoluted and they're so expensive no one ever has.

You can actually buy those road bikes. In fact, in a Specialized Concept Store in my home town they had a Kwiatkowski WC frameset that they were going to build up as spec to sell and another if you wanted a different spec. You might not get Nibali's paint, but within 9 months I think you'll get the exact same components (if they're testing prototypes).

I think this is why pros all ride factory frames these days, but I could be wrong.

However, in this case I do think it's just a bit of sour grapes.

TRENDING THREADS