• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jan 21, 2020
Visit site
Hey everyone,

A bit of background information. I'm not a regular cycler. I spent the summer using my recumbent bicycle without issue. Then in the winter I had to switch indoors and using a stationary bicycle. Now I've been doing sprint intervals, so nothing longer than 10-12 minutes. And about a month after switching to the stationary I started to develop testicle pain. I saw the doctor and he thought it was two different issues. My IT-Band and also micro trauma of my leg constantly hitting the testicle. I bought a new seat, and got my first pair of cycling shorts, gave the boys about three weeks rest and tried the stationary again. Which resulted in that dull sore testicle pain again.

I am now thinking that some of the issue is my sitting position.

For more information there is this video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ4ZkA8aSkQ

I think I am sitting wrong. Where I'm rotating my pelvis forward and putting weight closer to the thinner part of the saddle. While using the stationary I don't notice no large pain there. It's only afterwards that I feel the soreness. In the video they point that most of the weight should be to the rear of the seat. I wasn't doing that.

I want to confirm with people more knowledgeable than me that this could be the case.

The majority of the weight onto the saddle should be from your 'sit bones' at the wider, rear, portion of the saddle. It is typical to do many small adjustments of the saddle forward/rearward position, and also the amount of up/down tilt (usually, level is good). That saddle position might affect your arm reach to the handle bars, so stem change might be needed.

It is also typical to have to find a particular type/size/brand of saddle that works best for you. 'Racing' saddles are expected to be used by riders who support a lot of their body weight by strong pedaling. For long duration 'recreational' riding, more body weight is applied directly onto the saddle.

Jay

Jan 21, 2020
Visit site
Thank you Jay!

I wanted to confirm that I should be focusing my weight on the rear of the seat. I'm using an old 80's schwin stationary that has the moving arms. I was rotating my pelvis because it was less pressure on the bum. I got the widest saddle that I could.

I'm going to wait a week or two to let any injuries down there to recover and I'll give it another go.

Jan 10, 2020
Visit site
Last edited: